Inside the MS462C

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't be more impressed with auto tune/mtronic. It's simple, smart and has enough capacity to deal with a massive air leak. I'm going to take some convincing that FI is a step forward.
I'll probably be pretty easy to convince though, but for the moment I'm in the middle ground between the Luddites and the early adopters.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mtronics, we are coming closer to calling it 'old tech'. I wonder what the guys who fear 'computer saws' think of the 500i. Companies like echo & makita are getting left further and further behind.
Or could be a step forward for lug heads like me lol.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A L E R T !!!!! We have official numbers!!!! :cop:

5 kW (6,8 hp) out from 80cm³ (carbon concept engine)

6,2kg !!!!!!!

Damn guys! Stihl is going absolutely demonic! That's even a harder knockout to Husqvarna than the 462!!!

Release in germany is next year!!!

View attachment 88940

View attachment 88941
Well,
A: I want one.
B: Wonder how this might compare with the 7910 an 390xp in regards to power (24"-32" bar), feel, fuel consumption and throttle response? Even more so once properly Mooberized? :icon_popcorn:Hopefully there's not a cat and/or an exhaust sniffer of some type. I'd hate to need and EFI Live or an SCT to make my saw reach it's full potential.

The 462 has my interest, but the 500I has my full attention...

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A L E R T !!!!! We have official numbers!!!! :cop:

5 kW (6,8 hp) out from 80cm³ (carbon concept engine)

6,2kg !!!!!!!

Damn guys! Stihl is going absolutely demonic! That's even a harder knockout to Husqvarna than the 462!!!

Release in germany is next year!!!

View attachment 88940

View attachment 88941

Damn !! I haven't even got my 462 home yet and fueled and its superseded [emoji25]
Anyone wanna buy a 462? (Jokes) Looks like I need to book another flight next year ? [emoji12]

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd hate to need and EFI Live or an SCT to make my saw reach it's full potential.

Honestly the reality of needing software to alter tuning is probably minimal, it will more than likely "learn". However it is possible we might have to purchase software from the manufacturer, like a license or something.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's why I roll semi-old school. With 026s, 036s 460s, 660s and stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,
B: Wonder how this might compare with the 7910 an 390xp in regards to power (24"-32" bar), feel, fuel consumption and throttle response? Even more so once properly Mooberized? :icon_popcorn:Hopefully there's not a cat and/or an exhaust sniffer of some type. I'd hate to need and EFI Live or an SCT to make my saw reach it's full potential.

Throttle response and accelleration should be very good even stock. Like they said in the press conference, 0,25seconds from 0 to max rpm.

I think if we look at the "older" carbon concept, we have an impression how the MS500i most likely will run.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,

I had to put that in my sig.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While all these saws (572, 462, 500i) look great. It makes me wonder what Makita has coming.
From what I understand there's something coming in this size. When, or what, I have no idea. All I know is that I'm already saving up for it.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mtronics, we are coming closer to calling it 'old tech'. I wonder what the guys who fear 'computer saws' think of the 500i. Companies like echo & makita are getting left further and further behind.

With the problems commercial guys are having with Autotune/Mtronic companies like Makita and Echo might be looking at gaining market share from the guys wanting to stay away from the new fangled stuff

Good luck. They will keep it proprietary. Make you go back to the dealer to get it fixed. [emoji52]

Give it time, we are one lawsuit away from government mandating the info thats available and the ability to access that data just like they did with cars. Look back at how OBD2 came about and apply that to these saws and by extension all OPE. They may not give us the ability to reprogram but surely at some point the government will step in to standardize all the testing equipment with the proliferation of fuel injection and electronics on OPE.

It would probably be better if the OPE manufacturers collaborated to standardize hookup and data before the government gets involved and mandates it, at least that way they could determine what info they wanted and needed to make available.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be cool Nate. [emoji106]
But I doubt it.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree there is always a portion of the market that rejects or is highly skeptical of new tech. Sometimes it is reasonably justified, however the saying goes.....first its ridiculed/laughed at then it's worth prooves self evident & finally accepted as the norm. Something like that anyway.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree there is always a portion of the market that rejects or is highly skeptical of new tech. Sometimes it is reasonably justified, however the saying goes.....first its ridiculed/laughed at then it's worth prooves self evident & finally accepted as the norm. Something like that anyway.
Yup. Just think Henry Ford thought hydraulic brakes would never pan out and these guys probably thought power saw are for pussys.
2e3f5437787e07274339e2fcfbcf7157--big-tree-douglas-fir.jpg

Last edited:

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

antilock brakes, airbags, traction control, TPMS, stability control, EFI have all been around for decades and i still dont want it. I dont want the complication of it, the expense of it on new cars, the expense of repairing it. Give me simple, reliable, and cheap. I'll gladly pay a little extra in fuel over the life of it and the aggravation of having to know how to get it started on a cold morning.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
antilock brakes, airbags, traction control, TPMS, stability control, EFI have all been around for decades and i still dont want it. I dont want the complication of it, the expense of it on new cars, the expense of repairing it. Give me simple, reliable, and cheap. I'll gladly pay a little extra in fuel over the life of it and the aggravation of having to know how to get it started on a cold morning.

I miss the simple stuff too Nate. My 51 Ford F1 had a SBC in it with one wire to the alternator, one to the HEI, and two on the starter. Temp and oil were mechanical connections. A single vacuum line to the transmission, and a speedo cable.......

What else did it need?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I miss the simple stuff too Nate. My 51 Ford F1 had a SBC in it with one wire to the alternator, one to the HEI, and two on the starter. Temp and oil were mechanical connections. A single vacuum line to the transmission, and a speedo cable.......

What else did it need?
Some subwoofers