High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I killed my Tree Monkey 066 in 6 cuts

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Learning what running lean and rich sounds like is more important than using a tachometer for tuning. When the settings migrate from vibration or other problems occur you need to be able to immediately notice the difference in the way the saw sounds or nothing will save it but luck.

Amen to Brother Jim.

I might also add to learn what a "dull" chain( or file) cuts like....and avoid it.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Learning what running lean and rich sounds like is more important than using a tachometer for tuning. When the settings migrate from vibration or other problems occur you need to be able to immediately notice the difference in the way the saw sounds or nothing will save it but luck.

After I tune a saw I demand my brother or whoever run it and I'll stand 5 to 10 feet away and listen -- I can soooo much better hear 4 cycling when piss revving and hear it clean up in the cut when I'm not operating the saw. Anyone else notice that? So I guess I just have to have a mini GTG when tuning the saws... ;)

I also find that recording and then listening to the playback I can hear the tune much better. I can hear a quick 4 cycle "sneaking in" or longer period of 4 cycle when in the cut better too when I distance myself from the saw... I always "notice" a quick 4 cycle sneak in when my brother is limbing w/ a 346 my ears are "looking" for it... it's funny, when just listening to a saw I'm not running my ears just focus on hearing 4 cycle when it happens.

I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but really like to hear the saw from a distance to really "hear" the saw's tune.

Tach is nice for repeatability -- I know I can set my 262 at 13800 - 14000 and be quite safe for general work and have all kinds of power. I bump it to 14200 for GTG cookie cutting etc. it still 4 cycles there... haven't really tried to go crazy leaning much beyond there for fear of wrecking it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
willing to accept that he might not have tuned it correctly.

I admit, I'm surprised that type of thing isn't more common. It's so easy to roach a saw... My last screamer came to me from the builder and wouldn't 4stroke at all, pretty lean outta the box. H & L took a good bit of tuning to get it dialed in.

My 1st ported saw (by Dan H.) I have not touched the carb. No need as of yet... It runs tried and true every time.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
2:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I tune one everytime I use it,pretty much everytime I start it.
I don't believe this saw was poorly tuned.
I'm loading a video right now of a 064 i did for a guy that wants to get better at tuning,it's a cold start and warm up and tune from 1 and 1.
I always find lean first then fat then the sweet spot.
A heavily ported saw needs tuned continually if you want it strong as it can be all the time.
I'll post it when it's loaded