• Poll closed .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While saw modding feedback is good in theory, I think the practicalities of making a useful system is going to be a large burden to the site. If someone has to monitor and manage things it will be a big time sucker.

I think that there is enough feedback given on the forums that someone that reads them regularly will have a pretty good idea of who the go to guys are.

Modding saws is a relatively small volume activity both in the number of people that do it for others and in the amount of saws that are modded as a percentage of chainsaws in use.

In my opinion, getting a saw modded is a bit like having an engine built for a muscle car. There's the ones for "daily drivers" and then there's the ones for people trying to shave a second off their 1/4 mile time. Not sure that if one of these throws a piston out the side of the block there's much recourse.

I view the chainsaw forums as an online community for enthusiasts and not a saw builder's guild.

DSS

widebody
Local time
1:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If anyone went to AS and spent a few hours reading build threads from the last couple years, it would be very clear who you would not want working on your saw, just by the builders interaction with the general public. Then you just have to decide who you want out of the ones that are left.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone went to AS and spent a few hours reading build threads from the last couple years, it would be very clear who you would not want working on your saw, just by the builders interaction with the general public. Then you just have to decide who you want out of the ones that are left.
This = fewer headaches

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
How about a services section in the classifieds. Set it up where only Builders, and sellers can post a thread advertising their services after the staff has approved it, maybe make it a perk of sponsership. Then set it up where instead of people post comments, lock it to where only customers can post a review after being given a code by the service provider on the receipt and sent with the item to the customer. to make it simpler each provider would have their own individual code, not one for each customer. or have it set up where the post is delayed 24hrs and staff confirms with the provider that they are infact customers.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that really only shows how many saws a guy does. you do more then I do, does not mean I don't do good work. but the public might see it that way. just saying
There is only one reason I don't have a saw from Randy - I tender for a big job and think "I'm going to need another saw or two". It takes a month or so to find out if I win the tender, then I've got a few months at most to get the job done.
The timelines never seem to add up with when he is taking bookings.
A customer like me will be looking at timelines as well as satisfied customers.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about this?

We just make sure open discussion is encouraged rather than discouraged. Then if someone has a issue, they won't be afraid of being lynched if they speak up.
In theory, yes. But seeing some of the replies on the current 40 page reply to one persons "issue", I dunno if that's enough.

I think that there is enough feedback given on the forums that someone that reads them regularly will have a pretty good idea of who the go to guys are.

I disagree, at least on the other forums. Still waiting to see how this one unrolls...

Again, disagree. One of the posts that enlightened people the most got totally deleted (on another site). If a builder here posted a lengthy thread stating problems with a "problem" buyer and quite a few other people who had issues with this builder changed the dynamic of his thread, he can simply delete his thread and sweep all those issues up under the rug for no one to see.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about this?

We just make sure open discussion is encouraged rather than discouraged. Then if someone has a issue, they won't be afraid of being lynched if they speak up.
This is not meant to stir the poo or cause any friction, but after watching it happen at other forums I need to ask. If people start getting lynched and they're on the "opposite side of the tracks", how will it be handled? After all, it's the cliques that end up feuding.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
From what I have seen open discussions can get out of hand pretty fast. Especially when the groupies jump in to defend And shoot down and downplay the issues someone has with a builder. I say keep it simple, make a section just for it, and limit people to 140 characters and have lockout of some kind where they can only post once a week to that thread or something like that. Keeps them short and simple, prevents flaming and keeps people from fighting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So we need an "app" to communicate ?
Holy Chit Batman...what has Gothem City become..."Nanny Ville" ?
Man, everything we do now has to be "organized" by someone and the responsibility diluted to someone who is NOT you.
You want a saw "ported"? do YOUR homework. Call the "builder" and find out what that means. Put on yer big boy pants and either assume the risk /reward or call your mamma and ask her what you should do.

Good Lord does everything have to be "Govermentalized"
Weres the two thumbs up button [emoji106] [emoji106]

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And a mod can come through occasionally and delete any post that is not obviously a review by a legitimate customer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buff right out

The split Randy suggested would make me giddy if it were my saw

Also can't stoop looking at the pic, it looks like a very clean break, like split stone.
Maybe a weak spot in the casting , like a grain in wood.
320 lbs comp[emoji13]

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done so many 390XPs that I've lost count of them......just had one that busted a jug.

I figured out that I had the timing advanced too far on that saw. I bought the saw and the owner got a new one.
Wow[emoji106]

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is not meant to stir the poo or cause any friction, but after watching it happen at other forums I need to ask. If people start getting lynched and they're on the "opposite side of the tracks", how will it be handled? After all, it's the cliques that end up feuding.

You are encouraged to question the moderator. Please do.

This is a new site......and am not a "highly experienced" moderator.

In my mind this site is being built for the members. That's why Bruce asks so many questions about what we need.

So far this is what I have done. There have been two people that I stopped outright from joining.

I may not have been moderating......but I've been around these saw forums since 2008. I have seen some rank chit go down on these places. The two people I stopped at the door might be great guys........but they both have made a bunch of enemies in the saw community. Their presence here would cause too many fights. I'm not gonna be spending all my time breaking up a bunch of guys that butt heads day after day.

As far as I can tell......there is no "wrong side of the tracks"......if there is, then I'm probably from there. As far as feuds go....I will not tolerate rude behavior from anyone here. Have you ever heard this saying? It is possible to disagree, without being disagreeable. I don't care if it's my best friend.......if they come on this site and start being rude to other members.......I will call them out on it.

So.......treat each other with respect.......and we will have no feuds.