I was using it in -5 to -10 °C

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very interesting. I have a 2015 saw that I got in Dec. of 2015. It had the same bog problem from new just like Steve. I quit using it till I could send it to Randy because I intended to get it ported anyway. When I got it back the problem was gone. Thing runs mean! It's been fine till this last weekend when I had it out cutting wood. It was as cold or colder than when I got the saw new & had the problem. It started happening again. When I got it back from Randy weather had gotten quite a bit milder. Now you guys have me wondering if it is in fact temperature related. I'm guessing based on what Tor said that mine could have the problem carb. on it based its year of manufacturing which is 2015 based on serial number. Any comments from you fellows would be appriciated.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very interesting. I have a 2015 saw that I got in Dec. of 2015. It had the same bog problem from new just like Steve. I quit using it till I could send it to Randy because I intended to get it ported anyway. When I got it back the problem was gone. Thing runs mean! It's been fine till this last weekend when I had it out cutting wood. It was as cold or colder than when I got the saw new & had the problem. It started happening again. When I got it back from Randy weather had gotten quite a bit milder. Now you guys have me wondering if it is in fact temperature related. I'm guessing based on what Tor said that mine could have the problem carb. on it based its year of manufacturing which is 2015 based on serial number. Any comments from you fellows would be appriciated.

I can't really comment until I run it this weekend. It will be about 40°F

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't really comment until I run it this weekend. It will be about 40°F
I understand. I was just wondering if anyone could tell which carb. my saw had on it if it was made in 2015:)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60 was on OPE today, maybe he can give some advise about those carb issues. Not many who knows so much about them as he does.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been really torn on which new 50cc saw to buy. Stihl is the priciest. Husky seems to be the most nimble and zippiest. Dolmar the least exciting, but maybe the most dependable.

This thread has helped me refine my feelings about the Husky. I want to want one, but the idea of a new saw that is finicky is worrisome when I'm buying from a dealer in another state.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been really torn on which new 50cc saw to buy. Stihl is the priciest. Husky seems to be the most nimble and zippiest. Dolmar the least exciting, but maybe the most dependable.

This thread has helped me refine my feelings about the Husky. I want to want one, but the idea of a new saw that is finicky is worrisome when I'm buying from a dealer in another state.

Mine has a quart of fuel in it. I don't know how long it will take to learn itself. If it doesn't fix it's self by a gallon then I'll take it back for warranty work. I have a good relationship with my dealer. They will take care of me as quickly as they can. If I needed to buy another new saw tomorrow, it would be an autotune. Some things just are not for some people and there is nothing wrong with that. You have to get what you are comfortable using.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was using it in -5 to -10 °C

At those temps, it would be a good idea to install that blue thing that covers the lower half of the starter to reduce cold air intake. That's why it's included with 550's, but hardly any of them ever get put on the saws in reality. But the owner's manual does recommend it at those temps.

Carb? There's a stupid amount of carbs. AT7, AT7A, or AT7B? See what I mean? LOL When doing a firmware update it does ask which one. That "hidden screw" was only on the early AT1 carbs, so don't bother looking for it on the 7's. The AT12 did come out in 2016 as Tor posted.

The AT12 fuel inlet nipple exits the carb at a different angle; pointing downward; not directly forward into the fuel line anchored in the intake boot flange. The fuel line just comes up into the carb like most saws. This of course requires a different, shorter fuel line. :) Other option is to trim 26mm off the original fuel line. If you don't it will kink and choke off the flow of fuel.

Most saws don't have these problems. My guess is that this could be either the cold, or that fact the saw is not fully broken in yet, or the combination of the two. Just run it some more and see wher it goes. You've got a good dealer, so a little more time on the saw won't be a problem for him and will make it easier for him to sort out what ever he might need to do.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At those temps, it would be a good idea to install that blue thing that covers the lower half of the starter to reduce cold air intake. That's why it's included with 550's, but hardly any of them ever get put on the saws in reality. But the owner's manual does recommend it at those temps.

Carb? There's a stupid amount of carbs. AT7, AT7A, or AT7B? See what I mean? LOL When doing a firmware update it does ask which one. That "hidden screw" was only on the early AT1 carbs, so don't bother looking for it on the 7's. The AT12 did come out in 2016 as Tor posted.

The AT12 fuel inlet nipple exits the carb at a different angle; pointing downward; not directly forward into the fuel line anchored in the intake boot flange. The fuel line just comes up into the carb like most saws. This of course requires a different, shorter fuel line. :) Other option is to trim 26mm off the original fuel line. If you don't it will kink and choke off the flow of fuel.

Most saws don't have these problems. My guess is that this could be either the cold, or that fact the saw is not fully broken in yet, or the combination of the two. Just run it some more and see wher it goes. You've got a good dealer, so a little more time on the saw won't be a problem for him and will make it easier for him to sort out what ever he might need to do.
Thanks Bob! I completely forgot about that little blue boot that came with the saw. It was around 14 degrees when the saw was exhibiting the problems. I'll have to remember that when it's cold & I run it again. Thanks again!:hello:

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

thanks Bob, you are better to explain then what I am.
I did study the AT 12 vs AT 7, it looks like there is a few differences between them.
They changed the throttle butterfly.
Gasket kit is new, seems they added a spacer + 1 Extra gasket. I wonder if my JRed dealer went for an AT 7 rebuild close to how the AT 12 is except the throttle butterfly?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Spike60. I was hesitant to put the blue thing on because It may have warmed up above the max temperature on the cover and I would have fried my new baby! I feel there is more information in this thread then the autotune/m tronic thread in the tech section!

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Spike60. I was hesitant to put the blue thing on because It may have warmed up above the max temperature on the cover and I would have fried my new baby! I feel there is more information in this thread then the autotune/m tronic thread in the tech section!
I completely agree. So many knowledgeable people from all over the world. When I'm dealing with a problem like this I'm typically apt to draw the worst conclusions then someone like Spike 60 come along with a logical thing to try that makes complete sense! It might cure the problem & it might not but I would've never thought about it myself. Thanks to all for your insight!