High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

husqvarna 359/7 build

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Definitely sounds rich... And you're right about waking up at 14k... I have my ported 357 tuned for 14.4k+ and it hauls the mail.

In the second vid of cutting the large ash, am I crazy or do I hear the tell-tale sign of a chain with a bit too much bite (low rakers) for the wood?? Sounds like it was chattering a bit... could be why it wasn't taking very well to setting the dog in on the cut? My 357 doesn't mind dogging in with most species of wood but it's no 394. I set my rakers using the Husky gauge on the "hardwood" side. I tried the "softwood" side once and it proved to be too much bite for enough of what I cut that I decided to stick with hardwood height. In softer wood, I just use a heavier hand and it will eat.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely sounds rich... And you're right about waking up at 14k... I have my ported 357 tuned for 14.4k+ and it hauls the mail.

In the second vid of cutting the large ash, am I crazy or do I hear the tell-tale sign of a chain with a bit too much bite (low rakers) for the wood?? Sounds like it was chattering a bit... could be why it wasn't taking very well to setting the dog in on the cut? My 357 doesn't mind dogging in with most species of wood but it's no 394. I set my rakers using the Husky gauge on the "hardwood" side. I tried the "softwood" side once and it proved to be too much bite for enough of what I cut that I decided to stick with hardwood height. In softer wood, I just use a heavier hand and it will eat.

The chain was brand new stihl rs. Only those 3 cuts on it. Rakers could be low, but felt fine on the other saw.
Think the chatting was due to th bar not going through the other side. Plus that ash was pretty hard stuff.

Next time I get it out for test cuts ill take the time to set the tune.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had an experience involving a brand new chain on my ported 372xpw in frozen hard maple at a little GTG Josh and I went to in April this year. I learned that even a brand new chain can have rakers a bit too low for some situations.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an experience involving a brand new chain on my ported 372xpw in frozen hard maple at a little GTG Josh and I went to in April this year. I learned that even a brand new chain can have rakers a bit too low for some situations.

Yep, I can see that in some situations. My main goal was to try and compare 2 saws, so I had 2 chains made up off the same roll. Closest apples to apples I could do.

The other saw was very gabby in that ash too. So I think the rakers were a bit low for that tree. But they will he bout right after a sharpen or two.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
1st cut is just letting the chain do its thing. Second l, spikes were set. This saw really wakes up round 14k. But still dosent like a heavy hand.
Will get better with break in, but this is how the 359 w/357 P&C acts for me.
Ported 357 w/stuffers not so much. Seems backwards I know.
I'm tempted to get a 359 top-end for the 359. You want to get rid of the org top-end?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will get better with break in, but this is how the 359 w/357 P&C acts for me.
Ported 357 w/stuffers not so much. Seems backwards I know.
I'm tempted to get a 359 top-end for the 359. You want to get rid of the org top-end?

The stock jug is long gone.

I don't think it is horrible with a heavy hand. Jut the other saw I was running it against needed a heavy hand.

Gotta gather up some good logs, and get it set round 14k+ and see how well it fares.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
First couple times out with the the 359/357 my wife was helping and she said "that one doesn't cut as fast as the others". She usually could care less, but it was that noticeable. Good saw though and I will do a little grinding on it soon, or something.

Last edited:

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First couple times out with the the 359/357 my wife was helping and she said "that one doesn't cut as fast as the others". She usually could care less, but it was that noticeable. Good saw though and I will do a little grinding on it soon, or something.

Your blade don't match

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good, just like Slinger's and my 357s. :) We are running ours about 14.4 give or take a lil bit.

Thanks,

Like to try and get at least a tank through before I really lean It out. New jug/piston and all.

Think this one will be hitting the market fairly soon.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Not bad for a non German saw :)

The cylinder design of the 357 (and 346 both sizes, 371/372 50mm and 385) are much superior to any German design - that just is fact. The saws were really restricted at one or both ends though, by a too small carb and/or a too restricted and/or too small mufflers. This was done on purpose, to keep the noise and emission levels down.

This does of course make the saws particularly "modification friendly", without having to do much to the cylinder.
There are other Husky cylinders, that look about the same (transfers from the case) , but needs much more work to really perform according to the cc, as they are less well ported to begin with (372 51.4mm and 390).

Last edited: