trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok guys and gals, need some help with this 242 before it becomes something to sight in my 30-06. Heres the story..bought it for $25 on fleabay, bid on it not dreaming I'd be the only one. Everybody else was smart evidently. It was missing some smalls and a little bit faded but mostly complete. Got it here, it had 140# of compression. Replaced fuel line, fuel filter, rebuilt carb, pressure and vac tested, and got the smalls. It wouldnt run right, kept stalling out when I'd throttle it up and let off the throttle, didnt matter where I had the carb set at. Bought another carb thinking that it might be a carb problem, no change. So, I bought another set of electronics, and that solved the dying problem but could only get up to 13.5 then gradually after 5-10 secs would go to 15.3. Idles perfect, throttles up fine, but cant get it up to speed on initial throttle up. Doesnt have a muffler screen to be clogged. Air filter and pre filter are good. Changed spark plug and fuel filter twice. Talking to a member he suggested a new metering spring. Installed brand new metering spring and set lever and still no change. Bearings are good. So I'm stuck because I dont want to just throw money at this f##ker. Anybody have any ideas that might make this saw run the way it should?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a new tank vent, but I forgot to mention that if I pressure the tank up it drops really quick. So I dont think its the tank vent but stranger things have happened. I thought it might be that but the tank vents.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have one of these myself, and it does seem to be a finicky little carburetor. Does it respond properly to the mixture screws for the most part?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals, need some help with this 242 before it becomes something to sight in my 30-06. Heres the story..bought it for $25 on fleabay, bid on it not dreaming I'd be the only one. Everybody else was smart evidently. It was missing some smalls and a little bit faded but mostly complete. Got it here, it had 140# of compression. Replaced fuel line, fuel filter, rebuilt carb, pressure and vac tested, and got the smalls. It wouldnt run right, kept stalling out when I'd throttle it up and let off the throttle, didnt matter where I had the carb set at. Bought another carb thinking that it might be a carb problem, no change. So, I bought another set of electronics, and that solved the dying problem but could only get up to 13.5 then gradually after 5-10 secs would go to 15.3. Idles perfect, throttles up fine, but cant get it up to speed on initial throttle up. Doesnt have a muffler screen to be clogged. Air filter and pre filter are good. Changed spark plug and fuel filter twice. Talking to a member he suggested a new metering spring. Installed brand new metering spring and set lever and still no change. Bearings are good. So I'm stuck because I dont want to just throw money at this f##ker. Anybody have any ideas that might make this saw run the way it should?
140 psi is on the low side I would say from the 42/242 saws iv worked on . Might not be helping with overall performance. You can get a caber ring for your OEM piston.. that has helped me in the past.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I'm going to drop a ring in it. Just put a vent in it. If that dont do it, I'm busted for ideas...

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I'm going to drop a ring in it. Just put a vent in it. If that dont do it, I'm busted for ideas...

I would replace the crank seals as well for good measure. You said you bought another carb, was it brand new or used? These carbs are actually still available new and are not terribly expensive.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would replace the crank seals as well for good measure. You said you bought another carb, was it brand new or used? These carbs are actually still available new and are not terribly expensive.

Yeah Joe, but like $160 from Randy's Engine Repair. What a piece of *s-wordt!!