Husky 242...and bullet

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to think a bit, you've alteady gone through most of the issues a 242/246/42 has.

Full trottle, check if the carb actually has full opening, quite often I've seen the trottle rod is to short.
One of the things I do is to glue the split in this area (it help a bit):
full.jpg
Some of those rods are to short from Husky and need rod work so it provide full trottle. I've seen over 1mm difference on them.

I've had a couple HDA 98 who never worked right, both where impossible to tune for a stable wot.
There is 3 different HDA 98's, the first one is easy to see since it had an c clipse for the choke shaft. They changed the nozzle jet and H jet on their last HDA 98 version. I don't know how to seperate out the two last 98's.

There is other carburetor options for 242, a bit work though.
346/350 walbros, HDA 154, 159, 182, you need 242 choke shaft for all those three carbs. You need a 242 trottle shaft for the 154.
If you're doing a 159/182 rebuild you need a trottle shaft who where used on their brushcutter 252RX, it has to be the shaft they used on HDA 187. I wouldnt be surprised if the 250R/252RX carb is a close bolt on for the 242.
You also need to massage the impulse area a tad, credit to Dr Al for that modd.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
@Tor R , you might be on to something. I gave it full throttle (without it running) and I had some more throttle left. So I'm going to figure out what I can put on the trigger to get it to full throttle. Then we'll see where shes at. Now I've got hope!!!!
Soften the bends on the throttle rod a "tinny" bit if the white roller end is still there ... gives back some length to the rod. The roller can have a flat on it that causes issues to.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to get a new throttle rod and if that doesnt do it I'm done. Got it up to 14.5 then went back down to 13.5 on subsequent piss revs. Saw the throttle slide over to the edge of the trigger, so I assume thats whats causing the drop off. Its a piss poor system IMO. Too many pressure points that can fail. This saw was worked, that for sure. Its a good saw, just frustrating. I'm sure the throttle is most of the problem if not the whole problem. Might get a new trigger too. Fingers crossed.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.30-06 you say?
I can send various handloads of Barnes ttsx, Hornady interlock, Hornady sst, Nosler partitions and Nosler ballistic tips. For science and stuffs.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy's Engine Repair has really jacked their prices up in the last two years - they sell 395 filters that retail for $28 for about $61.

Every time I see him come up on Flea Bay I make a fist and grit my teeth and say "Randy!", like Jerry Seinfeld said "Newman!". Lol

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, put the new trigger on and throttle rod. Got it up to 14.5 and any more adjustments goes down from there. Lost patience with it. The first saw that I havent been able to get up to spec. On to my Jonsered 2054/2055 project. Going on sale real soon!

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Inspect the flywheel timing, coil, and coil wire. Other than that, I have had some bad gas that drove me crazy last year. Oh wait, the saw had bad gas, I was ok.

The gas was bad right out of the gas can I had bought.