livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 6800 See this tree -- http://flockdraw.com/5ndmd3
(Enter a username or just click the button and you can see it.)

If you wish to draw on it, maybe you can, lol. I just found that online drawing gizmo that allows others to collaborate. But even without drawing, maybe you could explain how you'd do it?

There is this big oak, maybe 36" diameter and it's been there for a few months now and nobody is finishing it. They cut and hauled off some big limbs but left the main trunk. So, from the stump (still attached to the ground), the trunk slopes/bends downward at an increasing rate/curve and the last part is almost vertical sticking in the ground. I'm thinking they got scared, lol. I'd like to have the wood! Biggest saw I have is 20" ms362.

I'm not sure how it got this way, lol. Maybe they cut a section of the top out and it fell like this.

Oh wait... in case the collaboration gizmo doesn't work, here is an image of what I drew on that link above...problematic fallen oak tree.JPG

EDIT: I added a photo in post 40.

Last edited:

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it still solid or is it dying? Is the top simply leaning down or has another tree landed on it causing a spring pole? Wind blown? I agree with Junkman as this sounds like a very dangerous situation so before giving chetty advise on something that end up badly...

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it uprooted? Partially ?

Pioneer Perry

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
36" oak would yield a lot of good wood, but be careful.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aw, I thought the drawing was plain as day, lol. Apparently not! The roots are on right, the trunk of the tree extends to the left. I don't recall any limbs being left; only a trunk. And the trunk curves downward as drawn until it rests on the ground. I don't have a photo but might can get one whenever I go that way next.

The tree fell due to saturated ground is my guess. That sometimes happens around here. We also have wind damage sometimes but I don't recall any when this fell. I think it was just heavy rain over several days, even a week or two, making the ground saturated.

It just toppled over, so some of the roots are still in the ground but most are in the air. Point is, the tree is resting on the end of the tree. As I said, I'm not sure how it got like this. I mean, somebody harvested a lot of the tree but not sure how it ended up like this without killing somebody, lol.

The tree is resting on two points -- the roots that are still in the ground... and the top of the tree, which is curving down, resting as shown on the ground.

Last edited:

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This ^^^ and be ready to get out of the way.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Aw, I thought the drawing was plain as day, lol. Apparently not! The roots are on right, the trunk of the tree extends to the left. I don't recall any limbs being left; only a trunk. And the trunk curves downward as drawn until it rests on the ground. I don't have a photo but might can get one whenever I go that way next.

The tree fell due to saturated ground is my guess. That sometimes happens around here. We also have wind damage sometimes but I don't recall any when this fell. I think it was just heavy rain over several days, even a week or two, making the ground saturated.

It just toppled over, so some of the roots are still in the ground but most are in the air. Point is, the tree is resting on the end of the tree. As I said, I'm not sure how it got like this. I mean, somebody harvested a lot of the tree but not sure how it ended up like this without killing somebody, lol.

The tree is resting on two points -- the roots that are still in the ground... and the top of the tree, which is curving down, resting as shown on the ground.

Well you made a nice drawing but you are probably going to have to snap some pictures befor getting any good advice. I know I would hate to give you advice about a tree sight unseen and then have mrs. Livemusic on here the next week crying because you were laid up in the hospital or funeral home.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd cut off all wood beyond the limb thats in the ground.

Then I would look to undercut just inside the limb with the root ball on my right. Place some rounds under the limb section so it has less chance of falling down onto you

Thats just how I would approach it to start with. Being there would help, but I'd look to get the rootball free so it can stand that pole up straight