How would you buck this tree?

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Politician tree... How high is the peak at the center of the arch? Maybe you can rig to the smaller tree to the right and pull it on its side? I would hook to the center of the arch. I always use nylon rigging slings. Had a chain try to kill me once...

woodsnwoods

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would buck it just like the picture shows. Keep it off of the ground where possible!!

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are worried about the tree pinching the bar, or standing back up with a vengeance once you hit that sweet spot, you will want it on the ground...

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You could take it out for dinner/dancing, bring it roses/chocolate, take it for a walk on the beach in the moonlight, etc....

Edit: Disregard this; I misread the title of the thread.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd hook the middle of that beeeotch to my tractor and give it yank then cut up.

HEY, that's a good idea! I don't have a tractor but I do have a John Deere Gator. I don't know if it's stout enough.

OTOH, I went to the tree and took some more pics. The top of the tree resting on the ground is different than what I thought. There are two cuts in the trunk. I might could yank it out with a chain! I wonder if my half-ton would do it. I didn't look closely enough but they looked to be cut all the way through. You can see one cut just to the right of the rightmost cut limb. (Will post some more pics.)

BTW, I would not cut up this tree further without contacting the owner to get permission and make sure the first scrounger is not coming back. Nobody lives in the house now.

Check it out...
top end of tree on ground.jpg

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last pic. Looks like the second cut is all the way through, too. So, a chain yanking on the trunk should work. Do you think my Nissan Titan would move it?

root ball closeup.jpg

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
NO!!! and yes. Don't yank with chain. It will kill you, or at least try. I had a F600 with perfect chain indentions on the roof from doing that. Had it been the back window instead of the roof, it would have spattered my skull. Yank or snatch with rope or nylon slings. They can still break, but are less likely to give you a dirt nap.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I would pull it down with those two cuts there, but I wouldnt use a chain
That root ball will probably not move after the main section is removed

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And if I were there, I would stand with the root ball to my right and back bar a cut from the bottom to the top about a foot to the left of the other cut, and watch that big log fall away from me

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And if I were there, I would stand with the root ball to my right and back bar a cut from the bottom to the top about a foot to the left of the other cut, and watch that big log fall away from me
That's about all it will take ,but i would make a face cut so do not pinch my bar for more room ,throw a wedge in there and finish it off ,it will fall to the right away from you the way those branches are on the ground ,the log may want to slide at the stump pinching the bar is why the wedge .that is why the cut that is there is so tight .

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's about all it will take ,but i would make a face cut so do not pinch my bar for more room ,throw a wedge in there and finish it off .

Yup .......... even better !!!!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Give it a tug with your truck and a rope and the whole thing will come tumbling down. The guy who left that like that should be flogged. What if kids played on or under that.