Grinding wheel difference.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my wheels from 5 is quite smooth, yes, a smoother edge will make it better, but it takes too long to come off 😉 especially if someone brings a chain that is several years old

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The CBN wheels are great if used correctly…it’s not a good idea to hog off a bunch of metal with any wheel, but the CBN will take material away fast….

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
cbn wheels like vitrified or resinoid can be made with different grits . . . vitrified , resinoid , and diamond or CBN in a matrix can by made to act somewhat differenty than their hardness grade scale by slowing or increasing the rpm.
Abrasives can also act differently, depending on how closely packed.

With sandpaper, this is referred to as ‘open’ or ‘closed’ coat / coating. The same size grit can dig deeper with more space between grains, and carry away more material, than closely packed grit. This can leave a coarser or smoother finish.

‘Friability’ and bond are also issues with consumable abrasives. Some abrasives shatter, exposing fresh, new edges, while others round over and dull, creating only friction.

Some break away from the backing / wheel, again, exposing new abrasive, wearing fast, but, sometimes, cutting fast.

Lots of fun things to explore. Hopefully, finding a suitable product that meets our needs and satisfaction.

Philbert

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Abrasives can also act differently, depending on how closely packed.

With sandpaper, this is referred to as ‘open’ or ‘closed’ coat / coating. The same size grit can dig deeper with more space between grains, and carry away more material, than closely packed grit. This can leave a cosrser or smoother finish.

‘Friability’ and bond are also issues with consumable abrasives. Some abrasives shatter, exposing fresh, new edges, while others round over and dull, creating only friction.

Some break away from the backing / wheel, again, exposing new abrasive, wearing fast, but, sometimes, cutting fast.

Lots of fun things to explore. Hopefully, finding a suitable product that meets our needs and satisfaction.

Philbert
Hello Philbert, been awhile how have you been doing??

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. A CBN wheel for me would mostly just hang on a nail in the the shop.
What did the cbn do that you didn’t like….i have heard guys say this before..

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When guys first started talking about CBN / ABN wheels in these forums (when I still had dark hair), they were mostly referring to ones like the DynaSaw, ‘cyclone’, segmented, ABN wheels - about $300 each.

IMG_6935.jpeg
They were described as almost magical.

When the $100 wheels became available, with positive reviews, I splurged, and used some ‘birthday money’ to buy a pair of the Diamond brand wheels.

I was underwhelmed.

The finish I got was somewhat rough. I could still ‘burn’ a cutter if I held the wheel in place too long.

IMG_6382.jpeg

*They did produce less dust*.

But, results were nothing special over what I got with $15 -$20 Molemab, Tecomec, Total, etc., vitrified wheels , which lasted me a long time, could be profiled, etc.

If folks are happy with the performance they get, that is great. I like the results and value I get from the vitrified wheels.

If someone is new to grinding, I’d recommend putting that extra $200 into a better quality grinder, over a clone model, and trying the ‘standard’ wheels.

(But I still haven’t tried those ‘cyclone’ wheels!).

Philbert

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When guys first started talking about CBN / ABN wheels in these forums (when I still had dark hair), they were mostly referring to ones like the DynaSaw, ‘cyclone’, segmented, ABN wheels - about $300 each.

View attachment 409103
They were described as almost magical.

When the $100 wheels became available, with positive reviews, I splurged, and used some ‘birthday money’ to buy a pair of the Diamond brand wheels.

I was underwhelmed.

The finish I got was somewhat rough. I could still ‘burn’ a cutter if I held the wheel in place too long.

View attachment 409112

*They did produce less dust*.

But, results were nothing special over what I got with $15 -$20 Molemab, Tecomec, Total, etc., vitrified wheels , which lasted me a long time, could be profiled, etc.

If folks are happy with the performance they get, that is great. I like the results and value I get from the vitrified wheels.

If someone is new to grinding, I’d recommend putting that extra $200 into a better quality grinder, over a clone model, and trying the ‘standard’ wheels.

(But I still haven’t tried those ‘cyclone’ wheels!).

Philbert
lol I actually have one of those segmented wheels that I got with my stihl usg grinder….it makes almost a mirror finish and it’s not blued…

Last edited: