High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HELP! Anyone use CBN wheels for grinding chain?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got one of the Baltic abrasive wheels as well and am very happy with it. Message them on ebay and tell them what grinder you're using and they'll get you squared away. That's what I did and they were very responsive and very helpful.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both Diamond Wheels and Foleys brand CBN wheels, I leave a Diamond Wheels brand 1/8" wheel in one grinder for .325 and 3/8 LP chain, and a Foleys brand 3/16" wheel in another grinder for full 3/8 and .404 chain. The Diamond Wheels brand wheels are aluminum and a very fine grit, the Foleys brand wheels are steel (heavier) and have a reasonably coarse grit compared to the Diamond Wheels brand. Many of the chains that I sharpen (for others) are in pretty bad shape so the CBN wheels hold up extremely well and tend to produce less heat while grinding. Even so, I have set up a Kool Mist device and have been using air & water on the cutters while grinding. There is actually very little water sprayed on the teeth while grinding to keep them cool so the mess is minimal.

20200506_094949.jpg

Others will have different opinions but I can't imagine ever using a vitrified abrasive wheel again.

FWIW, I also have a Diamond Wheels brand diamond grit wheel for sharpening carbide chains...it gets very little use.

Mark

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I got mine from diamond wheel inc. I’ve been happy with them although I don’t use the round grinder very often. Dan you’re welcome to give one of mine a try that way you can see if you even like them before you make the investment. Send me a text if your interested.

IMG_3530.jpegIMG_3528.jpegIMG_3529.jpeg

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got one of the Baltic abrasive wheels as well and am very happy with it. Message them on ebay and tell them what grinder you're using and they'll get you squared away. That's what I did and they were very responsive and very helpful.
+1 👍

bpmaas

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who's using CBN grinding wheels and what have you found to be the best? Looking to grab one for my grinder.

Thanks
Dan
I have been using CBN wheels for 3-4 years and would consider no other wheel after using them. The diameter and profile don't change like vitrified abrasive wheels do. The claim is that they are good for a thousand sharpenings, and I believe it.
I got them where Woodpecker got his. My grinder is a Stihl brand with a rather small shaft diameter (12mm). Seems that many/most grinders have a much larger shaft diameter (7/8"). But that company had a lot of options as I recall.
They are expensive, but I don't think you would regret having them. Regards, Brian

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both Diamond Wheels and Foleys brand CBN wheels, I leave a Diamond Wheels brand 1/8" wheel in one grinder for .325 and 3/8 LP chain, and a Foleys brand 3/16" wheel in another grinder for full 3/8 and .404 chain. The Diamond Wheels brand wheels are aluminum and a very fine grit, the Foleys brand wheels are steel (heavier) and have a reasonably coarse grit compared to the Diamond Wheels brand. Many of the chains that I sharpen (for others) are in pretty bad shape so the CBN wheels hold up extremely well and tend to produce less heat while grinding. Even so, I have set up a Kool Mist device and have been using air & water on the cutters while grinding. There is actually very little water sprayed on the teeth while grinding to keep them cool so the mess is minimal.

View attachment 397549

Others will have different opinions but I can't imagine ever using a vitrified abrasive wheel again.

FWIW, I also have a Diamond Wheels brand diamond grit wheel for sharpening carbide chains...it gets very little use.

Mark
My Foley's is Aluminum/fine, so maybe there are options there?

schreib69

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 397549

Mark
This post is a bit OFF subject. . . sorry.
Wondering about sharpening carbide chains. I bought ONE from Rapco and quickly chewed it up by failing to sharpen it soon enough after it started dulling a bit. Ended up with a bunch of broken carbide tips. Rapco fixed it up and re-sharpened it for only the shipping. Nice. However, it costs about $15 for the local Runnings grinder guy to sharpen.
So questions:
1) Is that a typical price for carbide chains?
2) any suggestions about me using the little diamond bits sold for Dremels to touch it up on occasion?

thanks from a rookie. . .