Grinding wheel difference.

Jscb1b

Mister Slapnut
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Molemab wheels are 20 bucks. Oregon wheels are 40 bucks.
What is the difference?

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had contact with the pink Chinese wheel and the pink Oregon wheel so I can write something. Show photos of the ones you are asking about

Last edited:

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try the Tecomec Vitrified wheel. Price is reasonable and it turns out a decent grind with less heating up.
They are available here for $10, but I already have 5 of them. so it's hard to justify buying more 😉🤠 Does anyone have experience with Tecomec wheels? Which are better

Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want better go to CBN. For what I do (fixing extremely rocked chains for firewood guys mostly) I cannot justify the expense of CBN wheels.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve posted this a few times. Shows some wheels are better for removing large amounts of material, and others better for a more polished, smoother finish.

Tecomec Grinding Wheels.png

The current Tecomec website has similar information, presented in a different format.

Some of this was academic, because the white wheels were hard to get over here. Now, they are available from eBay seller ‘ArcherPlus’, a Tecomec distributor.

Prices are pretty reasonable if you buy 2 or more wheels at a time (say 1/8” and 3/16”, send them a message if mixing wheels).

I have not formally compared them side-by-side.

Vitrified wheels work best if lightly dressed each loop, to constanly expose fresh, sharp, abrasive.

CBN wheels produce less dust, but you can still overheat a cutter, if not careful. The ones I tried left a coarse finish, but other people have had better results.

Might be differences in grit, covetage, or between $100 and $300 wheels?

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. A CBN wheel for me would mostly just hang on a nail in the the shop.
I sold the ones I bought. Had them too long to return. But they were expensive, and enough people think they’re special, so they went quickly.

IMG_6383.jpeg

On the othef hand, I received a number of quality, vitrified wheels, from guys who bought CBN wheels, and swore they would never use the others.

So, everyone is happy.

Philbert

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sold the ones I bought. Had them too long to return. But they were expensive, and enough people think they’re special, so they went quickly.

View attachment 405119

On the othef hand, I received a number of quality, vitrified wheels, from guys who bought CBN wheels, and swore they would never use the others.

So, everyone is happy.

Philbert
I purchased these from philbert and have been pleased with my results. I am still learning the best grinder practices but with the help of people on the forum I have been getting better each time.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
cbn wheels like vitrified or resinoid can be made with different grits although the hardnest is a different story as most are plated. generally to get that you need to go to an oem company. vitrified , resinoid , and diamond or CBN in a matrix can by made to act somewhat differenty than their hardness grade scale by slowing or increasing the rpm. This has to do with the matrix bonding. plated wheels are mostly of a metalic bonding such as nickel( electro deposit system) , speed variation has little effect with these other than the finish.