High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HELP! Anyone use CBN wheels for grinding chain?

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ragged edges are mostly just the plating that flakes right off as soon as it sees wood. Grind off some plating near the edges before sharpening like the race guys do and it might be easier to compare results.
It would seem that a finer edge would hold up longer though, how much longer is the question...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you post those cutter photos alongside yout best filed and conventionally ground cutters?

Many years ago, on A.S., I ‘spit- balled’ a thought about serrated teeth on chainsaws: would they ‘saw’ through wood fibers better? Maybe on certain types of wood or cuts?

You might imagine the reception that idea received from ‘the real’ sawyers.

I generally assume that a smoother cutting edge is better (?). But the proof is in the cutting.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you post those cutter photos alongside yout best filed and conventionally ground cutters?

Many years ago, on A.S., I ‘spit- balled’ a thought about serrated teeth on chainsaws: would they ‘saw’ through wood fibers better? Maybe on certain types of wood or cuts?

You might imagine the reception that idea received from ‘the real’ sawyers.

I generally assume that a smoother cutting edge is better (?). But the proof is in the cutting.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m getting 300 grit wheel from Baltic Abrasives

I think there might be some durability and maybe speed to gain by have a smooth sharp edge. Like sharpening a knife or axe with a stone vs. a grinder. Not rough and microserrated.
I just went to their site, do they have a section just for chainsaw chain grinding???

Also could you take a pic of the wheel I would like to see it exspecially since it’s so fine grit, thanks!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both Diamond Wheels and Foleys brand CBN wheels, I leave a Diamond Wheels brand 1/8" wheel in one grinder for .325 and 3/8 LP chain, and a Foleys brand 3/16" wheel in another grinder for full 3/8 and .404 chain. The Diamond Wheels brand wheels are aluminum and a very fine grit, the Foleys brand wheels are steel (heavier) and have a reasonably coarse grit compared to the Diamond Wheels brand. Many of the chains that I sharpen (for others) are in pretty bad shape so the CBN wheels hold up extremely well and tend to produce less heat while grinding. Even so, I have set up a Kool Mist device and have been using air & water on the cutters while grinding. There is actually very little water sprayed on the teeth while grinding to keep them cool so the mess is minimal.

View attachment 397549

Others will have different opinions but I can't imagine ever using a vitrified abrasive wheel again.

FWIW, I also have a Diamond Wheels brand diamond grit wheel for sharpening carbide chains...it gets very little use.

Mark
Hey which one of those cbn wheels do you like best and which leaves the best finish???
I have used a diamond wheel brand wheels for years I love them…