High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HELP! Anyone use CBN wheels for grinding chain?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seen it but never used it. What brand is that wheel?
Idk. Something that was supposed to fit but had a 22 mm arbor hole instead of 7/8”. Or something like that. I had to mount it on the lathe to open the hole up to fit my grinder

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been using a Diamond wheel cbn for a good number of years now and have been very happy with it, runs cooler than any stone wheel I've tried, leaves a nice finish and has held up well.
That said, there's been a bunch of these threads over the years and there's always a few people unsatisfied with cbn performance, that "don't see what the hype is", usually due to overheating or poor finish issues. I've heard it enough and from people who likely know what they're doing that I believe it.
My conclusion is that there's some poor quality control out there and some individual wheels just don't work well, seems like deviation from stated grit size is the most likely issue but I don't know enough about the things to go beyond that. Too fine and it's a nice finish but prone to overheat and too corse runs cooler but leaves a ragged finish.
Is there such a thing as 'dull grit' (as new) on these...?

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I finally ordered a CBN wheel. Ordered from Woodturners Wonders since I was already getting a wheel for my Tormek grinder and they offered free shipping this weekend. The wheel they sell is 80 grit. Grabbed a Stihl RS chain and tried it out today. I think it grinds pretty nice and so far I'm happy! If it wasn't so damn cold and dark I'd fire a saw up and give it a try. Only thing I see is a little burr on the top plate. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 20231129_174005.jpg
    20231129_174005.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231129_175537.jpg
    20231129_175537.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231129_175549.jpg
    20231129_175549.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231129_175557.jpg
    20231129_175557.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 27

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
So I finally ordered a CBN wheel. Ordered from Woodturners Wonders since I was already getting a wheel for my Tormek grinder and they offered free shipping this weekend. The wheel they sell is 80 grit. Grabbed a Stihl RS chain and tried it out today. I think it grinds pretty nice and so far I'm happy! If it wasn't so damn cold and dark I'd fire a saw up and give it a try. Only thing I see is a little burr on the top plate. Let me know your thoughts!
Looks like great results to me. Very similar to what I see from the diamond wheels inc. cbn’s I have here. Looks like you got a winner bud

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would tey one if i could get one that is square and had the angles on it that i like.. it would be pretty handy to not have to dress the stone so often. square wheels get fouled pretty fast

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PA Dan, cleaning your chains before you grind them really helps keep the grinding wheel clean, keeps the chain cooler, and lets you see a lot more clearly exactly what's happening at the tooth as you are grinding.

Philbert got me started on this last April, find a cleaning solution with sodium hydroxide and let the chains soak for a bit, even 10 minutes helps a lot, overnight is really good. Mean Green and Super Clean are two that I can pick up at Menards for under $7/gallon. I have a 5 quart ice cream bucket filled with the solution and add a bit of water from time to time. I probably clean 50-100 chains before I have to change it out.

20231130_083629.jpg

I hit them with a brass bristle cleaning brush and just a drop or two of water while scrubbing, then a good rinse with water. Since I am using a little water mist on the chain while I am grinding (see my #9 post), the wet chains are good to go directly into the grinder.

If the chain is not being mounted directly on a saw, I will hit it with compressed air to take off the bulk of the water, then a quick shot of WD40 to prevent rust. If I am mounting the chain on a saw I will run the saw long enough to oil the chain thoroughly.

When you consider the conditions saws/bars/chains experience in the PNW, I am not concerned about a little water on a chain while it is being serviced.

Most of the CBN wheels come with a white stone that you use to periodically clean the wheel. I have also used a SS wire brush at times to clean the wheel to insure they keep cutting properly.

20231130_083519.jpg

Since I've started cleaning the chains before grinding, and with the use of the air/water mist I find I rarely need to clean the wheel to keep it cutting well and avoid overheating the cutters.

Mark

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PA Dan, cleaning your chains before you grind them really helps keep the grinding wheel clean, keeps the chain cooler, and lets you see a lot more clearly exactly what's happening at the tooth as you are grinding.

Philbert got me started on this last April, find a cleaning solution with sodium hydroxide and let the chains soak for a bit, even 10 minutes helps a lot, overnight is really good. Mean Green and Super Clean are two that I can pick up at Menards for under $7/gallon. I have a 5 quart ice cream bucket filled with the solution and add a bit of water from time to time. I probably clean 50-100 chains before I have to change it out.

View attachment 398814

I hit them with a brass bristle cleaning brush and just a drop or two of water while scrubbing, then a good rinse with water. Since I am using a little water mist on the chain while I am grinding (see my #9 post), the wet chains are good to go directly into the grinder.

If the chain is not being mounted directly on a saw, I will hit it with compressed air to take off the bulk of the water, then a quick shot of WD40 to prevent rust. If I am mounting the chain on a saw I will run the saw long enough to oil the chain thoroughly.

When you consider the conditions saws/bars/chains experience in the PNW, I am not concerned about a little water on a chain while it is being serviced.

Most of the CBN wheels come with a white stone that you use to periodically clean the wheel. I have also used a SS wire brush at times to clean the wheel to insure they keep cutting properly.

View attachment 398816

Since I've started cleaning the chains before grinding, and with the use of the air/water mist I find I rarely need to clean the wheel to keep it cutting well and avoid overheating the cutters.

Mark
Thanks Mark I usually throw a dirty chain in the Ultrasonic for a cycle. I use Mean Green in it. Rinse with hot water and blow it off with air. Hang by the wood burner or throw it in a warm oven when the wife isn't home.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i wash my chains in a little gas with a wire brush.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m getting 300 grit wheel from Baltic Abrasives

I think there might be some durability and maybe speed to gain by have a smooth sharp edge. Like sharpening a knife or axe with a stone vs. a grinder. Not rough and microserrated.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think there might be some durability and maybe speed to gain by have a smooth sharp edge. Like sharpening a knife or axe with a stone vs. a grinder. Not rough and microserrated.
That's awesome can't wait to see how it does.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Would you rough in first grind , then finish with the 300 grit assuming, ?