ECHO Echo, Echo, Echo

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave the 500P a brief workout when I got home from work on some Elm that I had dropped with the Dolmar 5105. She started right up no problem. The idle was super high although the chain wasn't turning. Took a full turn of the throttle stop screw to get it down to a more normal sounding idle. Gave it a try in the wood and she ate it right up. Just to see what it had I noodled part of the Elm trunk for awhile. She was up to the task even with the bar buried, albeit slower than the 5105 as expected.

The only other change I made was to richen the high side a wee bit. I de-limited the carb last night, which requires only taking out the caps with a small pick. I'll probably take RPM readings next time I use it. Overall, the 500P reminds me a lot of the 450 I used to have with some improvement. It has the 450 torque with the bar buried, but with the fast and hard acceleration of my 400 that the 450 was distinctly lacking. This quite an accurate comparison, as I had the exact same bar and chain on the 450.

The only problem is that the 500P has a rattle at idle, which I suspect is the exhaust. Or, it could be the clutch drum and sprocket. Will check it out when it cools down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 13

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After the saw had cooled down I got into it trying to figure out the rattle. First I decided to make sure the muffler was on there tight, which it was. I thought maybe the core or baffles were loose inside it so I took the muffler off. Surprise, we have a non-cat muffler with no baffles, just a spark arrestor and deflector on the outlet! I thoroughly anti-seized the bolts and put the muffler back on. Took the clutch cover off and examined this area. The clutch drum and sprocket do have fair amount of play, which seems normal for this setup. Nothing out of the ordinary noted so I put it back together.

I started up the saw and listened to it idle. Now that I think about it, the rattle at idle is probably a combination of pinging noise from the very open muffler design and the clutch and sprocket rattling around. The noise instantly disappears when you accelerate and I can't see or hear anything that is obviously loose. While I was at it, I test fit the 3/8" pitch bar from my CS-400 and it was a perfect fit, the lone difference being the extra oil hole on the tail of the 500P bar. Given that the upper tensioner hole lines up perfectly with the oil slot on the bar plate, it may not even be necessary.

So far I am quite impressed with the 500P. Echo really did not push this saw hard enough, because I would think that anyone who is not terribly brand loyal would easily recognize that this saw is a much better deal than the Stihl and Husky offerings I have talked about.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got another tank through my cs-305 today. Really happy with it. Buckled up a small pine tree and practiced my plunge cuts (figured it would be safer starting out on a smaller saw before I try on my cs-590). Also ran my 590 some too and it feels like a powerhouse compared to the 305 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad to hear it, sounds like your 305 is coming along just great. How long have you had the 590?

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Around a year and a half. Only thing I’ve done is take the limiters and tune it a little fat. I’ll do more after the warrant runs out. Oh I forgot I did get a Chinese 372 half wrap and bend it and cut it to fit the 590. $6 for a metal wrap lol.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet, sounds good. Does your 590 have a cat muffler? I was amazed to find my 500P does not, as Echo has been using them since at least the mid 2000's. My older CS-400 and SRM-225 have them.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sweet, sounds good. Does your 590 have a cat muffler? I was amazed to find my 500P does not, as Echo has been using them since at least the mid 2000's. My older CS-400 and SRM-225 have them.

Honestly haven’t taken it off to look. May do that before I do a lot of cutting this winter. I hear they can get really loud with a muffler mod so I’ll research that more before I do one cause I don’t mind loud but I don’t want war splitting loud lol.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around a year and a half. Only thing I’ve done is take the limiters and tune it a little fat. I’ll do more after the warrant runs out. Oh I forgot I did get a Chinese 372 half wrap and bend it and cut it to fit the 590. $6 for a metal wrap lol.

Sounds like your okay with the handle mod and price was good. Was that troublesome with the bend and cut or not to bad?

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like your okay with the handle mod and price was good. Was that troublesome with the bend and cut or not to bad?

It wasn’t too bad. Took about an hour to get the piece cut just right and bent close. I just wanted it to be solid and didn’t want to pay $60+ for the real echo one.

2edad6392e5c5fc8273ca73968d0ddf1.jpg

Haven’t had any big wood to really use it but vibes felt fine yesterday with the little cuts I was doing and it felt plenty stout. I didn’t buy one of the buy it now ones from Hutzl I just got the bid one for $6 and no one else bid lol.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal and looks nice. I was curious to see a picture and you covered that.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good deal and looks nice. I was curious to see a picture and you covered that.

Its not the prettiest install lol still need to do a little trimming but I was working on it during the middle of summer in Alabama with no ac in my garage so I’ll clean it up some this winter. It’s holding fine now though.

8807c583b9fc690ebb526449c80421b7.jpg

e6a6dad9d89466226a68b0a92ee4bafc.jpg

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the extra pictures. I could live with that modification. Gets me to thinking on some of the other Echo models and modification of the plastic to aluminum on them. Guess it was hot, noticed you didn't have any shoes on either in the garage.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra pictures. I could live with that modification. Gets me to thinking on some of the other Echo models and modification of the plastic to aluminum on them. Guess it was hot, noticed you didn't have any shoes on either in the garage.

Lol that was the only thing cool in my garage was the concrete floor.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut with the 500P a little more yesterday. It is still running great, the only thing I have done is richen the high speed needle by a total of about 1/4 turn. I'm going to take off the sprocket and drum to see if that is where the ringing noise comes from. They are secured by a nut at the end of the crankshaft. All I have to do is block the piston, then turn the nut right hand to remove these parts, correct?

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cut with the 500P a little more yesterday. It is still running great, the only thing I have done is richen the high speed needle by a total of about 1/4 turn. I'm going to take off the sprocket and drum to see if that is where the ringing noise comes from. They are secured by a nut at the end of the crankshaft. All I have to do is block the piston, then turn the nut right hand to remove these parts, correct?

Do you have an impact driver? I keep the plug in on my husqvarna 51 and just use the compression to take it off. Don’t like piston stops heard too many problems with them

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I have an air compressor and the necessary impacts and sockets. Just wanted to make sure there is nothing to surprise me!

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use the battery powered ones on my husky never tried my pneumatic impact

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My air compressor is pretty small, so my impacts never really reach their potential. Everything critical gets hand torqued anyway. I contacted the place I bought my 500P from about the rattle, they told me it was normal. Maybe, maybe not, we will see.

Last edited: