ECHO Echo, Echo, Echo

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the 500P some more last night, she's doing great. Cutting up an old, dried out hedgeapple which is some of the hardest wood you'll find around here and puts a test on any saw. The 500 currently has Oregon 20LPX chisel chain. I'm wondering if I might be better off with a semi-chisel such as Oregon 20BPX for this application. How about Carlton K1C?

Last edited:

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the hedge not full of dirt would think the 20lpx still be fastest cutting. That wood make you think twice on any setup though.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I put a 16" Windsor Roll Top bar and semi-chisel chain on my CS-400 and gave it a try on a recently cut Locust log of 8-10". Compared to the 18" OEM bar and Oregon 91VXL chain I had been using, the semi chisel chain is slower and requires a little more downward pressure. It does vibrate less and is not as grabby feeling and seems to better matched to the CS-400. I'll probably leave both saws set up as they are for the time being.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of which,Echo I have one on my bench .I have no idea how long it has sat idle .Owner said no spark,wrong it does fire .500VL,I have no idea how old it is but it has a chipper chain if that means anything .As soon as I finish my afternoon Bud Light I'll get some putt out of if nothing else . Probably the fuel line or the carb I'd guess .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of which,Echo I have one on my bench .I have no idea how long it has sat idle .Owner said no spark,wrong it does fire .500VL,I have no idea how old it is but it has a chipper chain if that means anything .As soon as I finish my afternoon Bud Light I'll get some putt out of if nothing else . Probably the fuel line or the carb I'd guess .
Check the serial number and see if it was one of those recall saw. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...NCT4QFgg1MAA&usg=AOvVaw3Y6DNlpYelhJC98HcTtDp5

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of which,Echo I have one on my bench .I have no idea how long it has sat idle .Owner said no spark,wrong it does fire .500VL,I have no idea how old it is but it has a chipper chain if that means anything .As soon as I finish my afternoon Heineken I'll get some putt out of if nothing else . Probably the fuel line or the carb I'd guess .

Fixed it for you.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Beer is nasty. I enjoy an afternoon Dr Pepper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nah lol alcoholics run in my family so I stay away from alcohol. But I do like a Dr Pepper in a glass bottle or a nice cream soda lol.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nah lol alcoholics run in my family so I stay away from alcohol. But I do like a Dr Pepper in a glass bottle or a nice cream soda lol.

Understandable. Do you you guys ever get that DP from Texas? Its like the older bottling plant around. Good stuff cain sugar

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Buffalo rock is king here (they have a bottling facility like 15 miles from my house) so it’s basically only them. They do several different types though grapico (think it’s only in the south?) in a glass bottle is awesome as well

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I some how doubt that old Echo would be under a recall .My guess by the design is it dates back to the 70's . It seems to be well made and well maintained considering all . The chipper chain is what ages it as I haven't seen that type used since the late 70's . It's old enough it has a points type ignition which BTW throws a good spark .
It floods HDB Walbro which I only had parts and pieces left over from old kits but they seemed to be limber . I'll give it another go after work with or without the Budweiser .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I some how doubt that old Echo would be under a recall .My guess by the design is it dates back to the 70's . It seems to be well made and well maintained considering all . The chipper chain is what ages it as I haven't seen that type used since the late 70's . It's old enough it has a points type ignition which BTW throws a good spark .
It floods HDB Walbro which I only had parts and pieces left over from old kits but they seemed to be limber . I'll give it another go after work with or without the Budweiser .
From what I've read the fly wheel is the weak point and after being taken off a couple times it will want to fly apart.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a saw that might be 40 years old? Thanks for the heads up but since it has spark I won't be removing the flywheel . However it is the carb which I suspect has a faulty needle valve because it drowns the cylinder on three pulls .I'll order a new rebuild kit and as soon I get it running it goes back to the owner and I'll never have to fool with it again----- maybe .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a saw that might be 40 years old? Thanks for the heads up but since it has spark I won't be removing the flywheel . However it is the carb which I suspect has a faulty needle valve because it drowns the cylinder on three pulls .I'll order a new rebuild kit and as soon I get it running it goes back to the owner and I'll never have to fool with it again----- maybe .
I know how that goes. The 500 I got was a little newer so it had the up date and I got it from the original owner.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rambling on about this thing , I think the guy bought it new .After years it would not start so he hauled it off to a dealer who at that time sold Stihl .I've known him for years and he never was a mechanic .So when it doesn't start he said the ignition was bad ,which it wasn't and sold him an 029 Stihl which never cut as good as this old Echo .So his son said something to me and I said I never had one that had spark I could not get running . I have no way to age it other than it does not have any plastic on it and that old chipper chain .It isn't all beat to death like many I assume to be that old . I'll get a picture .