Dumb things your friends do with saws

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some of those are scripted to get views. There were a couple where a tree gets dropped on what's obviously a clunker, then over-dramatizing and bad acting from the on-lookers in the video make
it obvious that the whole thing was staged.

Look up video "Boere pulls down palm tree" i don't believe this one is scripted.

foeke

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look up video "Boere pulls down palm tree" i don't believe this one is scripted.
That was from a time when you could not get serious money from hits.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My god that took me down a internet rabbit hole! Great stuff

Then there is the corollary of the competent person. As stated in the link "competent students tended to underestimate their own competence, because they erroneously presumed that tasks easy for them to perform were also easy for other people to perform."

That is the misunderstanding that allows most of us to make the mistake of loaning a saw to some dumb-*s-word that ends up doing the most incredibly stupid things imaginable. We can't imagine someone being that stupid.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Then there is the corollary of the competent person. As stated in the link "competent students tended to underestimate their own competence, because they erroneously presumed that tasks easy for them to perform were also easy for other people to perform."

That is the misunderstanding that allows most of us to make the mistake of loaning a saw to some dumb-*s-word that ends up doing the most incredibly stupid things imaginable. We can't imagine someone being that stupid.

Dunning Kruger Effect.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dumb thing I did the other week. Finished putting my 066 back togeather. Get out to cut wood put fuel in it and fuel runs all over. Forgot to hook up the fuel line. No big deal hook up and fire saw up. Let it warm up a few mins and then grab to go cut the tree down and dam it. I forgot to hook up the throttle linkage. Grrrr. Back to truck hook it up with not many tool on hand and then finally get to take down the tree.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dumb thing I did the other week. Finished putting my 066 back togeather. Get out to cut wood put fuel in it and fuel runs all over. Forgot to hook up the fuel line. No big deal hook up and fire saw up. Let it warm up a few mins and then grab to go cut the tree down and dam it. I forgot to hook up the throttle linkage. Grrrr. Back to truck hook it up with not many tool on hand and then finally get to take down the tree.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I'd laugh at you, but I don't even know how many times I've spent a half hour doing something in the woods with a Leatherman and a scrench when it would have taken 20 seconds on the bench with proper tools.... ;)

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
7:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I drove across town to work to test my ported 2159 and 6100 yesterday. Washed an old euc log, strapped it to the forklift, opened the back of the 4runner...milk crate of saw tools n supplies, no saws. :eek::confused::mad:Left them outside my home shop, least I didn’t leave them in the alley. :rolleyes:

hotajax

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh well. Figured I’d start this thread.

What are some choice things your buddies have done with chainsaws?

Of course, there are injuries, but I recently had 2 good friends do some ridiculous things and nearly or totally ruin their saws.

First was my buddies MS250 which he rarely runs and only for small stuff. He brings it over because it gets hot and runs odd. I ask him what kinda bar oil he uses and he says “I mix the oil with the gas, my saw doesn’t need bar oil”. I say, “there is an oil tank there Stevie”. Arguing ensues until he shows up with the saw and a 12 pack. I ask him what he thinks “the front” fuel tank is for, he thinks it’s got two tanks for fuel like some pickup trucks do and that filling it was optional. I made him put reading glasses on and read “OIL sign” on the side.

Yesterday, my buddy asks the dreaded question “can I borrow a saw, mine was running fine and now it won’t start”. One of my best friends actually bought the house across the street from me.

He tells me it cut great, now he’s been pulling and pulling and it won’t start. I ask him “Johnny, what mix ratio of oil to gas have you been using?” He starts to blink. I say “you didn’t put straight gas in the fuel tank, did you?”. More blinking. “My saw has a separate oil and fuel tank” he says. I pull the rope, near zero compression. He thought the saw was oil injected. I asked him if he has ever seen an oil injected saw.

Then it sets in and I ask him to pull the muffler and we get to look at a roached piston. I lend him a saw tuned really fat and tell him he’s not allowed to refuel it, walk up to me for fuel when u need it. I made him buy a gallon of Truefuel E-free 40:1 mix at Home Depot. I figured even at $20 a gallon, it would keep him out of trouble.

Two recent stories. I’ll be rebuilding the straight gassed one this winter.
I wouldn't be sitting in the right seat of the airplane if the guy who owns the MS250 is sitting in the left seat.

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another dandy: mix your gasoline with used cooking oil to make mixed fuel...

A woman bought a new trimmer at the dealership I was working at. Next day brought it back with a burnt up p&c. Boss tested fuel out of tank on clean cardboard and indicated oil. Gave her a new one, next day, same thing. Upon questioning, she said she was using Wesson oil. She wasn't trying to go cheap. She honestly thought it was appropriate.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She must have been a Blonde!!!