Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh well. Figured I’d start this thread.

What are some choice things your buddies have done with chainsaws?

Of course, there are injuries, but I recently had 2 good friends do some ridiculous things and nearly or totally ruin their saws.

First was my buddies MS250 which he rarely runs and only for small stuff. He brings it over because it gets hot and runs odd. I ask him what kinda bar oil he uses and he says “I mix the oil with the gas, my saw doesn’t need bar oil”. I say, “there is an oil tank there Stevie”. Arguing ensues until he shows up with the saw and a 12 pack. I ask him what he thinks “the front” fuel tank is for, he thinks it’s got two tanks for fuel like some pickup trucks do and that filling it was optional. I made him put reading glasses on and read “OIL sign” on the side.

Yesterday, my buddy asks the dreaded question “can I borrow a saw, mine was running fine and now it won’t start”. One of my best friends actually bought the house across the street from me.

He tells me it cut great, now he’s been pulling and pulling and it won’t start. I ask him “Johnny, what mix ratio of oil to gas have you been using?” He starts to blink. I say “you didn’t put straight gas in the fuel tank, did you?”. More blinking. “My saw has a separate oil and fuel tank” he says. I pull the rope, near zero compression. He thought the saw was oil injected. I asked him if he has ever seen an oil injected saw.

Then it sets in and I ask him to pull the muffler and we get to look at a roached piston. I lend him a saw tuned really fat and tell him he’s not allowed to refuel it, walk up to me for fuel when u need it. I made him buy a gallon of Truefuel E-free 40:1 mix at Home Depot. I figured even at $20 a gallon, it would keep him out of trouble.

Two recent stories. I’ll be rebuilding the straight gassed one this winter.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen some dandy saw uses that sent me in a spiral. Lol. Most are just annoying and some dangerous.

I was pruning olive trees with a guy and he had broken his top handle. He asked to borrow mine.

I let him use it. He yells across the field at me to look at a new trick he found so he could move around the tree top with both hands.

He's tied my saw's recoil rope around a limb and let it dangle from the tree limb whilst re-positioning himself in the tree.

Yes, there's a carabiner on my saw so he could have just hung from a belt loop. Lol.

Same guy is running the same saw at another job and was burning brush. He refuels the saw and leaves the cap loose.

The cap comes free and gas is pouring out of the saw while he's cutting near the open flames. :nono::facepalm:

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When my 51 was kind of new to me. I had cut a bunch of oak, after I stripped it a little and cleaned it with a parts brush and kero.
Next time I used it it was running too hot. I got that sinking feeling as it was under warrantee but I had already fired the dealer of purchase, and had little confidence in any H dealers at the time..
I tore into it and found I had opened the cold weather operation gate.
All was well.
That saw is now on deck for an overhaul.

My neighbor, Hey can you sharpen my saw?
Me, sure lemme see it.
Him, can't get it to cut.
Me, it don't need sharpened, it needs the chain turned around.
Husky 45 with low hours, probably the first or second chain. Cute little thing.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have fueled saw on back of truck and forgot to put caps on! Throw on shoulder to go back in woods! Makes for an oil day! How many admit to gas in oil tank or vice-versa? Or all you guys Perfecto?
Lol At home farting about with saw's my stuff ups ain't to bad but rushed at work over the years I've done them all many times lol
Not put oil/fuel caps on or tightened pick saw up wear it all down the legs in ya boots.
Have put bar oil in fuel tank,put fuel in oil tank just tip it out and start over lol
Put chain on backwards few times but didn't catch it once and actually tried to cut with it! for a sec or two I'm like WTF is wrong with the chain! lol
I probably tried to cut with a backwards chain more than once but I remember that time as I had an audience that never did let me live that one down ha..

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have fueled saw on back of truck and forgot to put caps on! Throw on shoulder to go back in woods! Makes for an oil day! How many admit to gas in oil tank or vice-versa? Or all you guys Perfecto?
I’ve done all those things :). I guess it’s called being human?

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many admit to gas in oil tank or vice-versa? Or all you guys Perfecto?

Not quite. I was at some races with Hedgerow and Awol. I was fueling my saws and had the bar oil out. Both of the douchebags were watching me. I was just about to pour the bar oil in the fuel tank when i realized what I was doing. I looked at them and said, "You 2 fuggers were going to let me do it weren't you?" There responses were something like "Hell yes" and "Damned right we were!!!" Where are all the good people you guys keep talking about? LOL

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have spent a few minutes pulling on a starter rope when I had seemingly forgot to flip the control lever from the off position..

If you really want to oil your boots, forget to install the seal for the oil pump to the case on an 046.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The little top handle with both caps at the front end get me a few times a year. My neighbour pushes & pulls the saw backwards & forwards when cutting with a chainsaw as the saw screams with a rocked chain. He had never tuned his weed-wacker in 10yrs since buying it new, never pulled out the spark plug, nothing. Didn't know what a spark arrestor was, looked at me funny when I bought a blow torch over to fix his trimmer.