Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scouts in my country used to learn bowline with a story that dragon crawls out of the lake, takes the princess and returns back to the lake. Maybe it is too sexist today?:nusenuse:

Dragons pre date American folk lore a thousand years or better.

Be one hell of an image of Davey Crockett skinning a dragon! :D

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Dragons pre date American folk lore a thousand years or better.

Be one hell of an image of Davey Crockett skinning a dragon! :D
I think native peoples had dragon-like deities/spirits in their belief systems, but that's just semantics.

As far as the thread goes, almost any time I see a non professional using a chainsaw it is not in a safe manner. Some people we know needed help with their chainsaw, it wasn't working right. The saw was a 40-ish cc Stihl homeowner's saw with the spinny wheel chain tensioner. The chain was hanging down from the bar at least an inch and the adjuster didn't work, apparently they used it in this condition until it didn't want to start. The primary operator of this particular saw also cut open their foot with the saw and had to get emergency stitches, but this was before we met them.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watching anyone cut/burn with a dull chain will make me crazy!
At a house last week dropping a dead maple with an 044 and a saw I put together from scrap yard peices (038 mag) my helper had a 445 husqvarna to help cut up branches.
I dropped the tree , he got to work and the little husqvarna was screaming away. I watched him cut a 5" branch for 2mins! I handed him the 038 and asked him what in the hell are you doing? He told me he didn't have time to sharpen it.
I imagine with all the time it would have taken him to burn through the branches he could have sharpened his chain 30x !

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Watching anyone cut/burn with a dull chain will make me crazy!
At a house last week dropping a dead maple with an 044 and a saw I put together from scrap yard peices (038 mag) my helper had a 445 husqvarna to help cut up branches.
I dropped the tree , he got to work and the little husqvarna was screaming away. I watched him cut a 5" branch for 2mins! I handed him the 038 and asked him what in the hell are you doing? He told me he didn't have time to sharpen it.
I imagine with all the time it would have taken him to burn through the branches he could have sharpened his chain 30x !
I heard the quote “ Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the ax. ” from Abraham Lincoln and I honestly haven't come across any better advice for sawing.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, time for dumb things I do with saws. Topped off the gas and oil on my little Echo CS-303T before cutting some branches today. Hmm, she sure is smoking and doesnt want to idle. Yep, put oil in the gas tank and gas in the oil!
:campeon:
Better than straight gassing lol. So far I've avoided both these mistakes. So far....

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, time for dumb things I do with saws. Topped off the gas and oil on my little Echo CS-303T before cutting some branches today. Hmm, she sure is smoking and doesnt want to idle. Yep, put oil in the gas tank and gas in the oil!
:campeon:

I've had the cap off ready to pour but I haven't ever gone all the way yet.

Someday someone will make a saw with a gas tank up by the bar and an oil tank back by the handle, and I'll never be able to be sure I'm in the right hole again :eek:

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I keep my mixed fuel far away from the straight gas in a special can for that reason.
Me too. I keep my mixed fuel in a VP94 metal can. I buy 5 gallon cans, that I mix all of when new, and a one gallon I pour that into. Straight gas is in plastic and from a pump.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had the cap off ready to pour but I haven't ever gone all the way yet.

Someday someone will make a saw with a gas tank up by the bar and an oil tank back by the handle, and I'll never be able to be sure I'm in the right hole again :eek:

The older design Echo top handles such as my 303 are all like that.