Compound bow question. (Arrows)

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how do you guys strip your fletching and glue residue from the shaft. I have been using a dull knife and very carfully taking little bit off at a time then using a scratchy pad and a little nailnpollishbremi er of the wifes lol. Works ok but thers got to be a better way.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Potato peeler works good to strip the softer plastic fletches out there and then a utility knife to scrape, then scotchbrite and cleanser followed by HOT water and air dry

YMMV

Last edited:

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They make a tool for removing old vanes.
I used a sharp razor knife on a flat angle.
Refletched my first six, and now want more parts.
I'm saving money now lol.
I did not fly them yet.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess we can turn this into an oil thread, I mean a glue thread....

This is the absolute best all purpose archery glue I have found

It is made by Bob Smith Industries who makes what I feel are the best adhesives going

This is the brand most high end hobby shops carry and sell for RC cars, drones, etc

It's got super finely powdered rubber and carbon added and it is TOUGH and it never gets brittle like clear super glues

NOTE: it is BLACK so if that bothers you then try one of their clear glues

I bought it for inserts but it's also the strongest fletching glue I ever tried and I have tried dozens

I get it off ebay and it's cheaper than many of the repackaged "archery" glues that are just super glue with an "archery" label

I have no financial interest in the company, just wanted to share what I have found

upload_2021-10-27_7-39-28.jpeg

HYPERSAWS

West coast cutter
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how do you guys strip your fletching and glue residue from the shaft. I have been using a dull knife and very carfully taking little bit off at a time then using a scratchy pad and a little nailnpollishbremi er of the wifes lol. Works ok but thers got to be a better way.

I use a potato peeler

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess we can turn this into an oil thread, I mean a glue thread....

This is the absolute best all purpose archery glue I have found

It is made by Bob Smith Industries who makes what I feel are the best adhesives going

This is the brand most high end hobby shops carry and sell for RC cars, drones, etc

It's got super finely powdered rubber and carbon added and it is TOUGH and it never gets brittle like clear super glues

NOTE: it is BLACK so if that bothers you then try one of their clear glues

I bought it for inserts but it's also the strongest fletching glue I ever tried and I have tried dozens

I get it off ebay and it's cheaper than many of the repackaged "archery" glues that are just super glue with an "archery" label

I have no financial interest in the company, just wanted to share what I have found

View attachment 313944
This is in fact damn good cyanoacrylate, prob the best out there. I still have several RC warbirds, couple of RC 4x4 trucks and it's as good as it gets. Have used it for years in the RC realm.

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is in fact damn good cyanoacrylate, prob the best out there. I still have several RC warbirds, RC 4x4 trucks and it's as good as it gets. Have used it for years in the RC realm.

They sell the same glue as ONYX to the golf industry for gluing carbon golf club shafts to club heads so if it will withstand that it will take just about anything

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ZipStrip or a utility knife blade...either will get the job done in no time. And the only reason I have a ZipStrip is 'cause it was given to me.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ZipStrip or a utility knife blade...either will get the job done in no time. And the only reason I have a ZipStrip is 'cause it was given to me.

It's one of those things I have always wanted but just can't bring myself to shell out $20 for when everyday stuffs around the house works too

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to always add just a little drop of glue to the very front of each fletching after they set up...if shooting at straw bales like many years past, or even worn out Block or worn out full size McKenzie/Delta-type targets nowadays, helps keep the vane from starting to peel back when you shoot through or have to pull the shaft through the back side of some targets.
Yes, yes and yes. GREAT TIP! Secret of the pros! ;)
I would of forgotten to mention that until i had one in front of me to do. Nice work Bub:D

Messed that up, click open the quote......dang it!

This is what i use, pretty cheap if i remember. Just like a gasket scraper. Wont cut ya but at the right angle it will clean ur
shaft right up:risas3: and as mentioned above some sort of carb cleaner and maybe a lil scotch brite(soft style) to clean any remaining residue.image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol! My phone is slooow! I was not aware the zip strip cost that much anymore. I remember in the $7-10 range but mine is prob 15 years old too...

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just looked it up...$36.99 at Cabela's. Proud of them mf'rs.
LOL! Wow! That is INSANITY!
Ya i would be using what i had handy as well at that price:eek: i am super glad that the glue was brought up. I never had “great” luck with any of them that ive used. Definitely gonna get me a tube of this miracle juice. Especially with 2 young boys that test the limits of plastic toys daily. Im constantly super glueing and JB’n stuff to get them back in the fight:D

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here I am sitting in the stand and I find this thread. Anybody listen to the meateater podcast with dr Ed ashby? Pretty interesting stuff. Episode 284 I believe

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He’s no trophy and I wasn’t about to pass him up and wait for one. Young buck, big body. I sat an hour, first bow hunt of the year.View attachment 313999
NICE! Any animal with a bow is a trophy in my book. People get too hung up on scores and inches. I see meat, antlers on the wall, a campfire story and a smiling lil girl. CONGRATS! Thats the end goal! Keeping the tradition alive. Ive not been able to get out yet but they r starting to chase like crazy.