Compound bow question. (Arrows)

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I upgraded my bow with another older bow lol. It came with three arrows that have the short fletches. I have always shot the longer style. Just wondering what the differance is if any? Two of the arrows need news ones and one of my original arows need a fletch repair. Is it worth converting?
Would my old fletching thing work on tje short style or would that have to be upgraded?
I have been out of the archery stuff for a few years so im a little behind.
92624b46016f47597c8c1dacb260cac1.jpg
9f0bbe78ad06a5d658d1ae7a56544a1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What length shafts are they, full length? 4" or 5" vanes will stabilize longer/heavier shafts better than smaller delta vanes. If you're shooting an overdraw and cut shafts, go to the smaller vanes, they'll be fine and shoot/chrono a little faster.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The longer ones are typically needed just to stabilize broadheads, the short ones are fine for about anything else.
Just watch the arrows go down range, if they fly good then you're fine.
The fletching jigs are usually made long enough for 5" fletches and will also hold anything shorter.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree with what was said above. Biggest thing is a properly tuned bow. Right arrow stiffness for poundage. Paper tune that thing till all u see is a hole and three slits. Ill prob get bashed but if ur set up right u dont need fletchings:D to a point. Ive shot arrows (only at targets) without fletchings. They will work just as well if everything is right. Also im shooting the $$$ Easton A/C/C. Have shot 4” and 2” vanes on them.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vanes are 4 inchs and aroows a little shorter. My tips are 100grain if i remember correct. Ones with bow are heavyer. I got a few shots in this morning befor the rain and i think my arrows were more accurate but i also think the tips are too heavy on the arrows that cam with the bow?
Bow is a hoyt cybertec.

My arrows could be an inch shorter but i dont really want to cut them. They would be too short for my old bow. I still would to fix my old bow.
634267f8515c828aacc0ef8fd84299f8.jpg
b14be657bbefebf16944e19ca802cc87.jpg

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree with what was said above. Biggest thing is a properly tuned bow. Right arrow stiffness for poundage. Paper tune that thing till all u see is a hole and three slits. Ill prob get bashed but if ur set up right u dont need fletchings:D to a point. Ive shot arrows (only at targets) without fletchings. They will work just as well if everything is right. Also im shooting the $$$ Easton A/C/C. Have shot 4” and 2” vanes on them.
I just seen a video on youtube on tuning with a bare shaft. I think its a good idea to try it like that.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Checkout a local Archery shop

There's a archery shop 30 minutes away that's great they got everything. Will even help bare shaft test it there.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya i have been ther a few times in the past. They are really good to deal with. May be heading ther this weekend to grab a few supplies.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't been active in archery for the last 25 or so years so pretty out of date, used to do a bit of indoor target competition but got really heavy into 3D back in the early 90's when IBO just got going. Competed mostly just in the northeast but did do the first three IBO worlds in Illinois and WV. Got to the point where I was making some of my own equipment and selling some products through a local shop.

Shoulder issues eventually killed my competitive edge and I pretty much quit, still have all my old equipment though and pull it out for some fun on occasion.

This thread got me curious as to what's new in arrows...
Though I didn't recognize most of the newer Easton offerings it seems not much has changed in the past 30 years.
I see a/c/c's have recently been discontinued but a/c/e's remain current, still with spin wings even. Was using them for 3D and big fat 2512 R7's for paper. Still have a doz new a/c/e's and some R7's I never assembled.
I also still have a big 2' wide roll of butcher paper that used to hang from the basement ceiling in front of a small target butt that I'd use for paper tuning.
Now rip sheets off to use it at the range for sighting in guns...

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always like helical feather type vanes over straight plastic vanes. Bows, arrows, vanes, shaft material, shaft weight, rests, string, cams, draw weight, length of draw, releases, etc is like chainsaws, to each his own.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vanes are 4 inchs and aroows a little shorter. My tips are 100grain if i remember correct. Ones with bow are heavyer. I got a few shots in this morning befor the rain and i think my arrows were more accurate but i also think the tips are too heavy on the arrows that cam with the bow?
Bow is a hoyt cybertec.

My arrows could be an inch shorter but i dont really want to cut them. They would be too short for my old bow. I still would to fix my old bow.
634267f8515c828aacc0ef8fd84299f8.jpg
b14be657bbefebf16944e19ca802cc87.jpg

Oh u got a Hoyt? MOA accuracy. Kills deer even if u sleep in:D
My bow is like an ‘04-‘05 Havoc Tec. I shoot 67lbs and she chronos around 235-240. I also shoot 100 grain heads. It was Hoyts flagship model when the Mathews solo cam hit the market. Hoyt bow is also sinlge cam/single wheel. Dont let nobody tell u speed is everything. All in the tuning. Im totally confident out to 40yds, wind pending. Longest bow kill was 43.5 yds and longest gun kill (deer) is like 60-65:risas3:

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Lemme see if i can pull up an arrow chart to put up for everyone.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I lived in Mt. Pleasant, Mi, joined a league at Chippewa archery owned and operated by Floyd Eccelson. Was always a pleasure to talk to, had many stories hunting with Fred Bear. Had large broadhead collection and traveled with it. Asked who was the best Archer he ever knew, surprised he said Gary Smith, who was shooting there also, he gave me great advise and humble. He made his own long bows and shot instinctive. Shop had several trophy animals mounted, asked Floyd which one was his favorite. He reached under counter and pulled out a box full of mouse, squirrel and pheasant skulls. Stated anyone can hunt large animals, come hunt these with Gary and I. Oh, and yes Gary shoots much better than Fred or myself. Great memories of those days. Taught my son to hunt with a bow and he should have taught me.IMG954684.jpg IMG_0230.jpg

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love that story @Duce! And that tall 10 pt is awsome! Theyr all awsome but thats my favorite!

Aim small, miss small.

Ted Nugent;)

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't been active in archery for the last 25 or so years so pretty out of date, used to do a bit of indoor target competition but got really heavy into 3D back in the early 90's when IBO just got going. Competed mostly just in the northeast but did do the first three IBO worlds in Illinois and WV. Got to the point where I was making some of my own equipment and selling some products through a local shop.

Shoulder issues eventually killed my competitive edge and I pretty much quit, still have all my old equipment though and pull it out for some fun on occasion.

This thread got me curious as to what's new in arrows...
Though I didn't recognize most of the newer Easton offerings it seems not much has changed in the past 30 years.
I see a/c/c's have recently been discontinued but a/c/e's remain current, still with spin wings even. Was using them for 3D and big fat 2512 R7's for paper. Still have a doz new a/c/e's and some R7's I never assembled.
I also still have a big 2' wide roll of butcher paper that used to hang from the basement ceiling in front of a small target butt that I'd use for paper tuning.
Now rip sheets off to use it at the range for sighting in guns...
Maybe you could help menwith my old bow? My jennings has the hard rubber peaces inbetween the limbs and that plate that holds limbs in and it gone brittle. Where is the best place to find a peace of rubber to try and make a couple new ones? And what would be the best way to carve it to fit like the original.
Local bow shop just told me cant get parts and bot worth fixing. Well I really do like this bow. Probly more cause im used to it and would like to try and save it. I cant seenit being junk just from a rubber part i cant buy any more.
474c8d91206d73aeb9cece455ef53045.jpg
faa07d3614ebdb27691e2357884812e2.jpg
7714c6f1e2089d71c4cdf14f8222c176.jpg

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe you could help menwith my old bow? My jennings has the hard rubber peaces inbetween the limbs and that plate that holds limbs in and it gone brittle. Where is the best place to find a peace of rubber to try and make a couple new ones? And what would be the best way to carve it to fit like the original.
Local bow shop just told me cant get parts and bot worth fixing. Well I really do like this bow. Probly more cause im used to it and would like to try and save it. I cant seenit being junk just from a rubber part i cant buy any more.
474c8d91206d73aeb9cece455ef53045.jpg
faa07d3614ebdb27691e2357884812e2.jpg
7714c6f1e2089d71c4cdf14f8222c176.jpg

Piece of car tire maybe, cut it with a saw, sand to shape/size. Power tools would be an advantage…

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speed was pretty important in 3D due to the unknown distances. I could tell to some degree how fast someone’s bow was if I could see the yardage marks on their sight. I was running around 312fps
And the distance between the 20 and 50 yard pins was about 7/16”.

My homemade rig;
F6391E12-DBAB-4801-BE1D-4A5F76A3DBF0.jpeg

Couldn’t get what I wanted at the time so pretty much made everything but the limbs, cams and peep sight.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piece of car tire maybe, cut it with a saw, sand to shape/size. Power tools would be an advantage…
I wondered about car tire. I also wondered about my FIL used to drive truck and he has a tire tread cutter. I think it would work to get a rough shape.

Also at the other plant where I work they have rubber matterial in a big roll about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I may see if i could "borrow" a small chunk.

I got some years ago for a chainsaw holder i made for my atv.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe some heavy industrial conveyor belting in a thickness close to what you need?
All our conveyers here are megnetic type. Dam new technology lol
But thats a hell of an idea.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speed was pretty important in 3D due to the unknown distances. I could tell to some degree how fast someone’s bow was if I could see the yardage marks on their sight. I was running around 312fps
And the distance between the 20 and 50 yard pins was about 7/16”.

My homemade rig;
View attachment 313285

Couldn’t get what I wanted at the time so pretty much made everything but the limbs, cams and peep sight.
Wow thats ausome.