Mumble mumble mumble

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya its odd to see a scrap metal peace going up hill on a conveyor that apears to be flat metal lol.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something like these.
4ff43e428e63f96d7c9615c563bc18a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone try the fletching that you dunk in boiling water?

I'm in the same boat, whole bunch of arrows that need work.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I'll add my 2 cents worth here from my experience. Short vanes are ok for target and 3d shooting, but for real world hunting applications there's no better arrow control than with 5 inch feathers. Speed loss was proven negligible by my pro shop as feathers having a weight advantage allowed the arrow to be shot faster out of the bow and caught up to each other at practical hunting ranges. I also had the pleasure of visiting with the man that owned True Flight feather company. After he showed me their slow motion camera of a feather coming out of a bow and a plastic vane, I was sold on the feather, I was surprised at the distortion the vane went under. We also proved long range accuracy with broadheads and the feathered shafts came out the clear winner again. High speed... my rig chronographed at 322 fps and shot broadheads right with target tips. The aforementioned paper tuned shafts and helical feathers also played a part in this success. About the only other thing I can say is I haven't heard the name Jennings said in conversation in a very long, long, like really long, long time.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I'll add my 2 cents worth here from my experience. Short vanes are ok for target and 3d shooting, but for real world hunting applications there's no better arrow control than with 5 inch feathers. Speed loss was proven negligible by my pro shop as feathers having a weight advantage allowed the arrow to be shot faster out of the bow and caught up to each other at practical hunting ranges. I also had the pleasure of visiting with the man that owned True Flight feather company. After he showed me their slow motion camera of a feather coming out of a bow and a plastic vane, I was sold on the feather, I was surprised at the distortion the vane went under. We also proved long range accuracy with broadheads and the feathered shafts came out the clear winner again. High speed... my rig chronographed at 322 fps and shot broadheads right with target tips. The aforementioned paper tuned shafts and helical feathers also played a part in this success. About the only other thing I can say is I haven't heard the name Jennings said in conversation in a very long, long, like really long, long time.
"Short vanes are ok for target/3D shooting" but something else is needed to get the job done for "real world" hunting?? I'm willing to bet the two dozen or better deer and hogs I've shot with 2" and 3" vanes on Carbon Express Maxima and Easton Axis Pro shafts with either Rage expandable broadheads or Muzzy 100gr fixed broadheads would tell you otherwise.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oil thread! lol. Spin wings for the win...
:stick:

A couple of the more fuddy clubs on the 3D circuit decided that it was primarily hunting practice over competition, so implemented a set of range/equipment rules to keep people from 'developing bad habits' for hunting. They wouldn't put targets out to more than 40yds, no stabilizers over a foot long, etc.

One of the rules was the fletches had to be minimum 4" and most of mine were 1", so I made a 'special' few arrows just for them. Put on 4" feathers and burned them down so the profile on the front 3" was like a 1/16" high with a rounded inch at the end. That 'ruffled some feathers' and I got called out on it a lot but it was within the rules as written so...
Eventually they had to comply with IBO rules or not be considered a sanctioned event and they caved.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"Short vanes are ok for target/3D shooting" but something else is needed to get the job done for "real world" hunting?? I'm willing to bet the two dozen or better deer and hogs I've shot with 2" and 3" vanes on Carbon Express Maxima and Easton Axis Pro shafts with either Rage expandable broadheads or Muzzy 100gr fixed broadheads would tell you otherwise.

No, I did not say something else is needed, I said something else is better and stand by it.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I did not say something else is needed, I said something else is better and stand by it.
5” vanes are ‘better’ than 2” vanes…I don’t think so Tim unless you’re hurling 540gr or so full length, AMO shafts. Who’s been doing that for the last 30 plus years? I rest my case.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5” vanes are ‘better’ than 2” vanes…I don’t think so Tim unless you’re hurling 540gr or so full length, AMO shafts. Who’s been doing that for the last 30 plus years? I rest my case.

Try shooting at long range with a broadhead and get back to me.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try shooting at long range with a broadhead and get back to me.
Define long range cowboy?...lemme guess, you're talking 100 yd shots? lmao

I've killed deer and hogs at 50-60 yds with 2"-3" vanes with both expandable and fixed blade broadheads.

Continue...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Define long range cowboy?...lemme guess, you're talking 100 yd shots? lmao

I've killed deer and hogs at 50-60 yds with 2"-3" vanes with both expandable and fixed blade broadheads.

Continue...

Well if you're just gonna laugh, then I'm not gonna tell. I will say we couldn't get a 4 inch vane to do as well as a 5 inch feather, so how is a 2 or three going to be better? Maybe I missed out on something then.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if you're just gonna laugh, then I'm not gonna tell. I will say we couldn't get a 4 inch vane to do as well as a 5 inch feather, so how is a 2 or three going to be better? Maybe I missed out on something then.
Negatron, I never claimed a 2"-3" vane is 'better'. Your post stated that short vanes are target/3d shooting stuff. What I've killed is as 'real world hunting' as it can get with 2"-3" vane shafts with broadheads out to 50-60 yds, and surprisingly more stable than most folks prob think. It's simply a matter of knowing how your bow shoots with broadheads at longer than "practical hunting ranges" (20/30/40 yd pins), and setting up McKenzie or otherwise targets and letting 'em fly. A little compensation and some luck will always be a part of longer than 'normal' sight-pin shots. The 2"-3" setups will kill 'em deader than hell, just like any other vane length setup can.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Negatron, I never claimed a 2"-3" vane is 'better'. Your post stated that short vanes are target/3d shooting stuff. What I've killed is as 'real world hunting' as it can get with 2"-3" vane shafts with broadheads out to 50-60 yds, and surprisingly more stable than most folks prob think. It's simply a matter of knowing how your bow shoots with broadheads at longer than "practical hunting ranges" (20/30/40 yd pins), and setting up McKenzie or otherwise targets and letting 'em fly. A little compensation and some luck will always be a part of longer than 'normal' sight-pin shots. The 2"-3" setups will kill 'em deader than hell, just like any other vane length setup can.

Yes, a 2-3 inch vane is better served for target and 3-d shoots than hunting. For a plethora of reasons including being forgiving when hitting brush etc. a feather just does it better, that's a fact Bub, what you do isn't going to change that, so why argue? Plus GFY.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, a 2-3 inch vane is better served for target and 3-d shoots than hunting. For a plethora of reasons including being forgiving when hitting brush etc. a feather just does it better, that's a fact Bub, what you do isn't going to change that, so why argue? Plus GFY.
Lmfao...I'm just punching holes in yer bow-talkin' *s-wordt that's all, there princess!

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol! This is like an oil thread:D
Cant we just kill *s-word and get along? ;)
Im gonna stick with my “its all in the tuning” theory. I believe that older heavier aluminum arrows may have needed the longer vanes for stabilizing but with the carbons of today it seems more of a non issue. Tighter tolerances and smaller in general i think makes them fly truer over all. Bows r the same... u remember when u shot the ole wheel bow with some fattys and u let the buck of a lifetime walk away cuz it was at 26yds? And dont fuggin lie! U remember when u only shot at 20 yards for practice? Remember when u shot off ur first fletching? Cool right.....? Then u got a newer bow and went to carbons....started trashing fletchings...even cooler the first few times! Then u got over it and started practicing shooting a 5 ring instead of “i have to get it in the pie plate?”
Times change, equipment changes. We change, get better, better techniques, releases not fingers, stabilizers for better balance, sights that figure yardage for u, etc.
im just here for the kill pics now:D

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lmfao...I'm just punching holes in yer bow-talkin' *s-wordt that's all, there princess!
But what string, wax, rest is best? Do you use a mechanical release or use fingers. Best Archer I ever saw shot a long bow he made. No release, no sights, no crazy stabilizer. Watched him shoot moving targets, four colored spinning disk, you call the color and he would hit it. Throw a rubber jack ball into the air and he hit it. My point, could I shoot as well as he did with his equipment, hell no, everyone uses different equipment with different abilities and time spent practicing. Why argue, just shoot, hunt, enjoy the sport.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol! This is like an oil thread:D
Cant we just kill *s-word and get along? ;)
Im gonna stick with my “its all in the tuning” theory. I believe that older heavier aluminum arrows may have needed the longer vanes for stabilizing but with the carbons of today it seems more of a non issue. Tighter tolerances and smaller in general i think makes them fly truer over all. Bows r the same... u remember when u shot the ole wheel bow with some fattys and u let the buck of a lifetime walk away cuz it was at 26yds? And dont fuggin lie! U remember when u only shot at 20 yards for practice? Remember when u shot off ur first fletching? Cool right.....? Then u got a newer bow and went to carbons....started trashing fletchings...even cooler the first few times! Then u got over it and started practicing shooting a 5 ring instead of “i have to get it in the pie plate?”
Times change, equipment changes. We change, get better, better techniques, releases not fingers, stabilizers for better balance, sights that figure yardage for u, etc.
im just here for the kill pics now:D
IMG_2701.jpg IMG952521.jpg