Chinese Professional Chainsaw from eBay, review

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a Chinese clone of an open port Husky 365. I used a ported AM 77cc jug and modded the carb and muffler. It impresses everyone that tries it. So far so good, it has been cutting wood for around 4-5 years and it has never let me down in the field. The tank vent was crap and I had to mod it, one of the clutch springs broke, the wrist pin bearing was junk and the coil eventually failed, but it still is a workhorse for bucking logs. It's done a heap of work.

A comparable saw in Oz would be over A$2000, the base price was A$230 plus the work I put into it (say A$500 for a strong 77cc saw, spikes, bar and chains). I wouldn't recommend a new saw owner ever get one, but for someone that knows how to set up a saw, it was good value for money. If I ever blow up this thing, I'll just get another one and re-work it. I could do it several times over and still be ahead.

If I was a professional wood cutter and carrying my tool of the trade out in the bush, no way would I use a saw like this - but I'm a firewood hack that pulls the saw out of the truck to cut wood. I'll be using it again tomorrow to cut up a BIG log that should provide me enough firewood for the winter.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been tempted to buy a new model China saw that are being sold here. Its 82cc's has max unloaded rpm of 13.5k, comes with a roller nose Tsumura style 24" 063 bar, has 'dual starter' mechanism and looks pretty neat. For AU$188 delivered....it could be a bit of fun! Closed quad port cylinder and mag case! My inner evil wants to pull the trigger, my sensible side says don't.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Bet it's better than a 346.:p

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The issue with the mismatch of the chain and sprockets was actually due to a couple of stiff links in the chain not following the drive sprocket. I got that sorted. I've had chains with stiff links before and usually about 30 seconds of revving and they're good to go.
No I have not run the saw yet. Not by choice, I'm just passing through and checking emails (and maybe the forum, hey?)

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gonna run it to specs or tune it in at say 40:1 or you're normal ratio whatev it may be?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I get a kick out of them including gaskets with a new saw; what were their marketing folks thinking on that. Did anyone else notice their version of air injection looks a lot like a funnel?

It will be interesting to see how it runs. I checked one like this out on the bay and the closeup of the bar shows the chain on backwards. China is kind of a big place, you'd think someone there would know which direction the chain rotates. Give 'em an E for effort anyway.

The chain was on backwards because it spins backward down there right? :facepalm:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I couldn't stand it any longer so I fueled and oiled the saw and fired it up. Took quite a few pulls to get it going initially but now it starts easily in one pull. It idles and revs up fine. Oiler is working. It hasn't touched wood yet. Seems set a little rich but I'll see how it sounds in wood. (don't tell but I used 32:1 instead of 25:1). I'm on the road now and the rest of my day is spoken for.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I couldn't stand it any longer so I fueled and oiled the saw and fired it up. Took quite a few pulls to get it going initially but now it starts easily in one pull. It idles and revs up fine. Oiler is working. It hasn't touched wood yet. Seems set a little rich but I'll see how it sounds in wood. (don't tell but I used 32:1 instead of 25:1). I'm on the road now and the rest of my day is spoken for.
Man we stihl gotta wait to see a vid or hear how it worked. This is worse then waiting for xmas.lol

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Chinese owners manuals are hilarious! A couple years back, we bought our kids...... (OK, and me too) those little indoor RC copters. They are China made. Had a good laugh reading the manual on those....

I wonder what the tag on the bottom section of the rear handle says.. I can read the "1, 2 and 3" in chinese... but all that other chinese written there has me stumped...