Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
24” small mount. @SOS Ridgerider @Cat 525

Normally probably wouldn’t be economically viable.

And I didn’t bother heat treating it and all that like it should be.

Maybe if one just shortened it by cutting out the bent sections to the next size shorter you could do it fast enough to be viable. The straightening and opening the grooves was tedious. I expect a bar shop with the tools n tricks handy could do it better and faster.

I got it bound in a horizontal tree in a tangled mess of trees. I knew better and shouldn't have tried to cut it. I removed the Dolmar from the bar. Should have wedged it loose, but I was distracted. When I cut it loose with the 2166, it fell perfectly across the Vee of two other trees below and the one that I cut loose went right in the middle of them/the bar. Bent 90 for 30 secs and then snap! Should have had my buddy come hang onto the bar while I cut it loose, but I didn’t want to ask him to climb up there, and I didn’t think it would fall perfectly under the log...

Rubber backer to bang on, soft mallets/alum punch. Brass channel fillers for welding and steel for straightening.

Cleaned the channel out with a hacksaw blade and emery cloth.

02115E44-0D8D-4C97-9D32-E35B3DB0379B.jpeg5882FCDE-2C44-4FC9-9329-5CD46D7620AE.jpeg5A943AE4-AD69-4FF6-A6F0-015F2F180387.jpegD36A9ADE-EB1A-47E1-9AAC-25864D8DBA04.jpeg36A5E107-8E5B-42D7-AA57-5EF4A0739A69.jpeg

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what you’re trying to get us to believe is that you made the complete impossible possible? Can’t be! Lol

Nice work David. I didn’t doubt you for a second. In my opinion the work you’ve done makes that bar even cooler than it was. Now it has a story.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So just out of curiosity. What wire did you use for the repair? I'm not a expert just looking for knowledge. Last repair I had to make on something tempered I substituted a stainless rod. It had been repaired before and cracked because it wasn't relived. Or at least those were my thoughts. I tiged it with the ss rod and it's been back in service for a few years now. Kinda goofy looking but holding up well.

Nice beads Sir.

Steven

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t weld it, one of my guys did.

We used stainless. Would have been better to anneal, repair, harden, and temper, but...meh. We will see how the rails hold up.

it might break at the welds if stressed, but I don’t use my bars for anything but cutting...

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t weld it, one of my guys did.

We used stainless. Would have been better to anneal, repair, harden, and temper, but...meh. We will see how the rails hold up.

it might break at the welds if stressed, but I don’t use my bars for anything but cutting...

I've used 316 filler to repair some chipped rails before. It holds up pretty well with all that nickel in it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to give you a pat on the back.

you did the right thing just letting the tree fall. No need to ask someone to try to help free the bar.

screw that bar when things go wrong.

as far as the repair. Bravo.

I would have also let the tree take the bar. I don’t want anyone close to me when I’m working with a potential hazard.

good repair and good thinking

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
39F876C8-8ABA-430A-8881-E0354353EABB.jpeg

Kinda quick ‘n sloppy, gonna get thrashed with use anyway...stencils don’t work well when left laying around in the heat for years.
I gotta fix the mooffler...and close the rails a bit.

Last edited:

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
24” small mount. @SOS Ridgerider @Cat 525

Normally probably wouldn’t be economically viable.

And I didn’t bother heat treating it and all that like it should be.

Maybe if one just shortened it by cutting out the bent sections to the next size shorter you could do it fast enough to be viable. The straightening and opening the grooves was tedious. I expect a bar shop with the tools n tricks handy could do it better and faster.

I got it bound in a horizontal tree in a tangled mess of trees. I knew better and shouldn't have tried to cut it. I removed the Dolmar from the bar. Should have wedged it loose, but I was distracted. When I cut it loose with the 2166, it fell perfectly across the Vee of two other trees below and the one that I cut loose went right in the middle of them/the bar. Bent 90 for 30 secs and then snap! Should have had my buddy come hang onto the bar while I cut it loose, but I didn’t want to ask him to climb up there, and I didn’t think it would fall perfectly under the log...

Rubber backer to bang on, soft mallets/alum punch. Brass channel fillers for welding and steel for straightening.

Cleaned the channel out with a hacksaw blade and emery cloth.

View attachment 283056View attachment 283057View attachment 283058View attachment 283059View attachment 283060
Wow I've never seen or heard of that happening to a bar, ever. U got quite a story now. Wow. And beautiful welds and fix I'm super impressed

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the fact that it broke in half helped , the welded area across the strait is probably pretty stress free for the chain to span over.
I think if the area of weld was longer then the span of a 3/8ths strap you might get chipped at some point ,or on the radius of the nose.
Great job getting it straight to David.
I was impressed by the epoxy insert snapping down the split and not just popping out.