Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gregg,

That jug should clean up easily. Get some muraitc acid and some fine sandpaper. Just gotta be careful and have a bucket of water with baking soda dissolved in it close by.

Degrease the transfer area, sand lightly, add acid with Qtip. Rinse, resand lighlty, add more acid. Do this till the is no fizzing.

You just don’t wanna get acid under the plating as it will undermine it. Be careful by port edges. If you see an area that won’t stop fizzing, you’ve got a pit in the plating. Neutralize immediately.

When you’ve got 99% done, sand the bore with 320 sandpaper, then hone with WD40 and scotchbrite. You’ll be back in bidness.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
9:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has a Bing carburetor. Is this a good thing?
Apparently it is the better performing of the bing and tillotson options. Although I hate that it has a plastic metering lever making it pretty difficult to set the height that the plunger opens and closes. I have tried heating it over a flame but ended up cooking one. Finecky buggers. Don't know if the Tilly's are the same. Your 038 will come up nicely with some love. I had one in a seriously crap state that came up lovely.
upload_2017-11-10_10-20-57.png upload_2017-11-10_10-22-39.png upload_2017-11-10_10-24-23.png

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gregg,

That jug should clean up easily. Get some muraitc acid and some fine sandpaper. Just gotta be careful and have a bucket of water with baking soda dissolved in it close by.

Degrease the transfer area, sand lightly, add acid with Qtip. Rinse, resand lighlty, add more acid. Do this till the is no fizzing.

You just don’t wanna get acid under the plating as it will undermine it. Be careful by port edges. If you see an area that won’t stop fizzing, you’ve got a pit in the plating. Neutralize immediately.

When you’ve got 99% done, sand the bore with 320 sandpaper, then hone with WD40 and scotchbrite. You’ll be back in bidness.

I'm not sure I trust myself with that operation yet...

Apparently it is the better performing of the bing and tillotson options. Although I hate that it has a plastic metering lever making it pretty difficult to set the height that the plunger opens and closes. I have tried heating it over a flame but ended up cooking one. Finecky buggers. Don't know if the Tilly's are the same. Your 038 will come up nicely with some love. I had one in a seriously crap state that came up lovely.
View attachment 96036 View attachment 96038 View attachment 96040

That thing is beautiful! I'm probably going to snag some AM plastics and a nice OEM badge to pretty mine up. I saw a nice top cover on eBay, but it was $40+

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scotch bright and kerosene applied with a lot of "elbow grease" should get the transfer off the cylinder .

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot ,You'd be surprised on that plastic what WD -40 can do to clean the crud off.

Yep, [emoji106] I use two Stoke mixed like 10:1 and leave em heavily coated over night, then buff to a good shine.

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scotch bright and kerosene applied with a lot of "elbow grease" should get the transfer off the cylinder .

I'm still not feeling that brave :)

Forgot ,You'd be surprised on that plastic what WD -40 can do to clean the crud off.

These plastics are toast. Deeply engraved and painted truck/crew numbers etc, burn marks clean through the covers...

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You will not touch the chrome lining with scotch brite or a flappy sander in a drill. Well not before all the aluminium transfer has come off. You will be surprised how easy it can be.

I may try it yet. We'll see.

Subbed for an educational build...

I'm sure to learn alot ;)

Don't lie... You Love the clown! lol

What ever happened to that guy? Did they imprison him for copycat crimes or something?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you seen Randy's bodacious "removing transfer without acid" thread? You don't want to wreck it. They're not rare but not common either. Worth saving 4 sure.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you seen Randy's bodacious "removing transfer without acid" thread? You don't want to wreck it. They're not rare but not common either. Worth saving 4 sure.
Gold dust over here... I have had to settle for a Hyway Magnum kit with Cabers in the past.. Ran good though.

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I watched the videos and read the thread a while back. I may rig something up to run in the Dremel and give it hell. I agree it's worth saving, and also worth saving the bucks a new cylinder costs.

Gold dust over here... I have had to settle for a Hyway Magnum kit with Cabers in the past.. Ran good though.

This is the first 038M I've ever seen in person.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched the videos and read the thread a while back. I may rig something up to run in the Dremel and give it hell. I agree it's worth saving, and also worth saving the bucks a new cylinder costs.

This is the first 038M I've ever seen in person.
Dont ya have that old jms cylinder to play with? And first time I did the Randy transfer removal way I used a wooden stick and a wide enough piece of sand paper to keep it from falling in to the ports.

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
and soo under-rated by many

That's the feel I'm getting. Alot of people don't care for them, but I'm willing to give it a shot before I decide if I keep it or sell.

Dont ya have that old jms cylinder to play with? And first time I did the Randy transfer removal way I used a wooden stick and a wide enough piece of sand paper to keep it from falling in to the ports.

I left the 046 jug behind, to be given back to the kind fellow who supplied the 460 jug it wears now. I've done lots of detail work with other hobbies. Maybe I'll try.

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been reviving some very faded plastics on my 038 super with car plastics conditioner, autoglym rubber and vinyl or autofinnesse dressle. It's taken alot of applications, and they aren't 'as new' but are better than they were. I was considering a wet sand.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the feel I'm getting. Alot of people don't care for them, but I'm willing to give it a shot before I decide if I keep it or sell.

I left the 046 jug behind, to be given back to the kind fellow who supplied the 460 jug it wears now. I've done lots of detail work with other hobbies. Maybe I'll try.

Well if you decide to sell I’ll be waiting lol