Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:
You characters crack me up ...............
Jeff, you need a strong splitter cause you "hit hard" and break handles .............. welp, you wont break that one !!

I've had one like that, shorter handle though, its been with me for over 20 years.
Its handle is bent, the edge is chipped, I'm still swinging it, and still splittin with it.
I'll try grabbing a picture of "old reliable" later today.
I wish I had the 36" handle one.

I just grabbed Fiskars iso-core (36" & 8#)
I will try her out soon

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need a side view of those cheeks. If they taper and are narrow where they flare the widest then thst seems like it would get stuck.

I had several of these and sold lots I get them from around 15-20 bucks from Deutschland and they tend too pop back out again rather than get stuck

What I do too my own ones is round off the corners on the splitting wings as I’ve marked in the photo below

9BE3D5EA-D491-4650-93E9-4EE9B7C6FFD2.jpeg

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
wetterlings-Splitting-Maul.jpg Saxon-Splitter.jpeg wetterlings is first saxon is second one may save few more bucks and get one of these splitting axes. Any suggestions between the 2 i like the saxxon for the little hook on bottom to roll with and the guard but like straight handle of the wetterlings

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
:risas3::risas3::risas3::risas3:
You characters crack me up ...............
Jeff, you need a strong splitter cause you "hit hard" and break handles .............. welp, you wont break that one !!

I've had one like that, shorter handle though, its been with me for over 20 years.
Its handle is bent, the edge is chipped, I'm still swinging it, and still splittin with it.
I'll try grabbing a picture of "old reliable" later today.
I wish I had the 36" handle one.

I just grabbed Fiskars iso-core (36" & 8#)
I will try her out soon
I have their isocore maul. To me its just another maul. I do like the handle on it, doesn't transfer any shock, grip is good but wears easy. The pole on the back is huge and great for pounding wedge. It splits like any other 8lb maul I've used. It could be sharper out of the box IMO. For the price it's good and still has their warrantee.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have their isocore maul. To me its just another maul. I do like the handle on it, doesn't transfer any shock, grip is good but wears easy. The pole on the back is huge and great for pounding wedge. It splits like any other 8lb maul I've used. It could be sharper out of the box IMO. For the price it's good and still has their warrantee.
Thanks Wade, I’ll be sharpening it after a few swings. I usually take a few swings on a new splitter before I Kev-o-rize the edge. I have yet to purchase a new splitter that didn’t need to be sharpened out of the box.

Seen a few nice ones lately, leather sheath, oiled handles, polished metal ............. mayhaps those kinds wouldn’t need a real edge put on them before they get used ?

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Wade, I’ll be sharpening it after a few swings. I usually take a few swings on a new splitter before I Kev-o-rize the edge. I have yet to purchase a new splitter that didn’t need to be sharpened out of the box.

Seen a few nice ones lately, leather sheath, oiled handles, polished metal ............. mayhaps those kinds wouldn’t need a real edge put on them before they get used ?
Im same way on pocket knife i hate factory bevel and never sharp enough

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sh!t. Sorry to hear you were sick. That sucks.
I have been fine. Same old same old. [emoji2]

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had several of these and sold lots I get them from around 15-20 bucks from Deutschland and they tend too pop back out again rather than get stuck

What I do too my own ones is round off the corners on the splitting wings as I’ve marked in the photo below

View attachment 103706

here's my 4 1/2lb or 2kg winged splitter where i rounded of the cheeks

WP_20171230_15_49_42_Pro.jpg WP_20171230_15_49_33_Pro.jpg

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weird looking. Lol
How does it swing and split?

It swings and splits good It used too have a fibreglass handle but that one got loose in 2016 I use cohesive bandage as hand grips too save the hands