Best splitting maul no axes

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The GB maul has a head weight of 5.5 lbs with total weight of 7 lbs.
The GB splitting ax has a head weight of 3.5 lbs with total weight of 5 lbs.
I still have the Fiskars X27. See the video.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just uploaded the other videos. Got out of work late.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a similar one, bounces off knots.
Compared to my favorite ax it requires a lot more swing force to go through anything, knotty or not.
It likes to get stuck in straight grain rounds, I'm talking splitting oak.

It feels like a failed design to me, but it may work for others and/or other kind of usage.

Can't attach pictures of mine as I'm not on my desktop PC.
Years ago I had one that looked very close to that design and had the same experience. Like what seemed like the majority of fancy designs I didn't keep it around long after I tried them. You are right, it might work in different types of wood though. Of all the pine I split, it seemed like an ax was easier to use then a maul. Not to often I favor an ordinary ax over a good maul in most the hardwood I usually split.
I used the monster mauls mostly for about 30 years until my shoulder injury from my youthful years reignited and the shock from the handle become to much. When I found the original Fiskars splitting ax I was back in splitting. When the head struck the wood I found myself flinching of habit from the pain I was accustomed to from the steel handle mm. Been some years now and I'm over the flinching. I wanted something heavier then the splitting ax for tougher splitting wood and tried 1 of the 8 lb fiberglass handle mauls from Home Depot or Lowes( forgot which). Switching back and forth in 1 year seasoned , unfrozen oak I found myself overwhelmingly favoring the Fiskars ax, knotty or not and the 8 lb maul did deliver uncomfortable shock to my shoulder. Even though an Fiskars isocore didn't look much different I bought 1 to try and am very happy with its performance. Splits the tougher rounds significantly better then the ax with unnoticeable shock to my shoulder. I've split through some fair sized frozen knots this year with it without beating my brains out to do it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice videos. Is that Oak? What model do you like the most and think is the most effective?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Yes, Red oak.
Really depends on size of the round your splitting. I am a fan of the smaller splitting ax. Light weight. Can swing it all day. Really hits hard.
The smaller 32" handles allow for a bit more accuracy.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
good videos Jeff when I went to bed there was one video now today there’s offspring thanks for posting the gransfors stand out definitely

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks,
The hardware store maul I used for years thinking it was just a maul. I probably have 5 different mauls.
Then a few years back I bought the Fiskars X27. It has been very good. Best I had used to date.
Then this forum introduced me to Gransfors Bruk. Lol
I bought the splitting ax which works awesome. So I decided to buy the maul too. It also works well.
But for 85% of what I do, I pretty much use a Stihl 026 and the GB splitting ax. Nice, light weight, can use them all day, and they work great. But, there are times when you need a bit more ooomph for the bigger rounds. For them I will use the GB maul. And my Stihl 460 or 660. ;)
I will still take the Fiskars X27 with me to the woods just in case I need to half or quarter some big rounds. No risk of losing or forgetting my expensive stuff. [emoji2]

Last edited:

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
C8C80BC0-55EC-4E9B-A680-81DE6AF12D4F.jpeg Her is a photo and video of that winged splitting maul I was talking about last month it’s light and nimble