Beam/Log Edger

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone use a beam or log edger to edge their slabs? I was considering buying a cheap one that you can use a 2x4 or 2x6 guide. Timber Tuff seems to make cheap ones. Anyone have any experience with them? I just need to edge slabs that I cant cut through with a circular saw... thanks.

I just turn the log and then cut it on my mill, BUT, I bought a edger like the green one pictured. Because turning a log by yourself can be tough, it wastes time, and squaring it up and clamping it can be a hassle. If you notice the set screws do not line up on each side where they clamp the bar, so, you can not drill the bar and run grade 8 1/4" screws left to right through it!

I think I have decided to just make another carriage for my sawmill and set it so a 32" bar can cut through the whole log while just barely clearing the mill at the bottow. This eliminates having to drill the bar and having to hold a 20+ pound saw while ripping, and allows me not to be right next to the saw while cutting to avoid breathing more fumes and sawdust. Plus, the carriage on rollers will offer less friction then a piece of metal being pushed down a 2x6.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The seller I tried to buy it through was a scammer and never delivered. Had to use Ebay services to get my money back. You would think if a setter gets over 1000 cases or negative feedbacks in a few weeks they would shut them down instead of letting them continue... I digress.

I'll have to order another.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The seller I tried to buy it through was a scammer and never delivered. Had to use Ebay services to get my money back. You would think if a setter gets over 1000 cases or negative feedbacks in a few weeks they would shut them down instead of letting them continue... I digress.

FWIW: I bought mine from Sportsmans Guide, I have been doing business with them for probably 10 years. I just looked it up under my orders section:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/timber-tuff-lumber-cutting-guide?a=2053651

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
FWIW: I bought mine from Sportsmans Guide, I have been doing business with them for probably 10 years. I just looked it up under my orders section:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/timber-tuff-lumber-cutting-guide?a=2053651
Fist one I've seen with that extra guide plate. All the others pics I've seen of it didnt have that.
I'll have to consider it at some point. I took a chance on the Ebay one because it was like $16 and free shipping. Worth the risk on ebay, just lost time and got my refund.

Welcome to the forum. It says your new here.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you, I hope to be a plus here. I only found the place because I was researching a chainsaw on E-Bay I was considering buying.
Lots of good folk on this site. Dont hesitate to brows the trading post for used saws for sale. If you have a question about a sellers reputation just ask it in the for sale thread and people will chime in if they have done business with them.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
$20.85 and free shipping.

Amazon

The adaptor witdh plate I am sure is part of the package just not shown.

:D Al

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How’s your Brakes on the Case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
not mine, it's my FIL's favorite cousins lol. he bought it from the township borough when they were upgrading. but my FIL loves it. the brakes are ok. his cousin live 5 min up the road. why do you have one that is a lemon?

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Amazon is where mine came from. In between the set screws I found a place to drill threw & tap for 1/4" bolt. Drilling thru the bar was more difficult but needed. By tightening the bolt the cast iron doesn't spring apart which allows movement on the bar. I got picky about guide & use 1"x3" rectangular aluminum tube with counter sink holes for the screws. Have a BW cant that's 7 1/2 x 11" by 11 feet that was cut w/ ms170 on a timber tuf set for the 3" wide tube. And there's a red oak post that's about a foot square cut with the same.
Welcome JB

Last edited: