Log Wizard/ bar-mounted debarker questions

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
everytime I peel a Lodgepole log, the whole time I'm doing it I wish I had one of those

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd imagine that the blades could be sharpened once or twice, seeing as they are like a planer blade, just shorter. Will have to see when I get to that point.
I think you're right.

Everybody, disregard my previous lies about two edged disposable blades.....I was thinking it used the dinky thin blades like a power hand planer uses.

Sorry for the bogus information.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think you're right.

Everybody, disregard my previous lies about two edged disposable blades.....I was thinking it used the dinky thin blades like a power hand planer uses.

Sorry for the bogus information.

I never suggested your information was bogus- the blade cost probably isn't that bad, and could be less of a hassle than trying to get them sharpened.

I think my dad got charged $40 the last time he had his planer knives touched up

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never suggested your information was bogus- the blade cost probably isn't that bad, and could be less of a hassle than trying to get them sharpened.

I think my dad got charged $40 the last time he had his planer knives touched up
I didn't take it that way at all.
My last post was sposta be kind of a joke on me, not a complaint about what you said.👍

You just got me thinking maybe I was wrong... so I went out and looked at it more closely, and realized I was indeed wrong.

I have a whetstone sharpener, so now I'm going to make em sharp again!

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mebbe. There is a story behind it, but I'd only share if anyone really wants to know.
My dentist relocated to his hometown in the 70s' I made the swinging shingle above his front door. It is still there but He passed a year ago.
When I'd get out of his Chair (Which I fixed many times) I would feel like I rode my motorcycle in the cold rain for hours. I preferred giving him My BILL AFTER the Dental appointment.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I suppose I can derail a thread I started without shame, so here goes.

When I was 18, I had finished my apprenticeship program and was working as a full time setup machinist at the place I worked at as an apprentice. They hired me full time with full benefits as soon as I graduated high school (used to be called the school-to-work program in Wisconsin, I don't think that program exists anymore). I had been working there part time my junior and senior years in high school, and was basically a turn-key machinist with some college and lots of on-the-job training on their machines and processes.

I had been going in for my annual dental cleaning/x-rays around my birthday up until that point, using my parents insurance. When I went to that visit, I had to update all my information to the insurance I now carried through my employer. The cleaning and x-rays went well, but then the dentist, a middle aged man that went by "Dr. Mike" came in and told me my wisdom teeth must be removed and I needed to come back soon.

I asked a simple question: "why do my teeth need to be removed?" Seeing as it's my mouth, and I would now be paying the co-pay and whatever out of my own pocket, it seemed legitimate to me as an 18 year old with his own insurance.

Dr Mike pulled his mask off and leaned over the chair, his face 6 inches from mine. "I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR THIS AND YOU DO NOT QUESTION THE DOCTOR'S ORDERS!" He yelled in my face. "YOUR DADS INSURANCE WILL COVER ALL OF THIS AND YOU GET SOME GOOD DRUGS AFTERWARDS, SO SCHEDULE THE FU#&>NG APPONTMENT!"

I sat up and pushed him away from me, and replied "I am no longer on my Dad's insurance, and there is no way in hell I'm ever coming back here. I asked a simple question..."

He then cut me off and tried to restrain me in the chair "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT YOU ARROGANT LITTLE SH*T"

The dental hygenist who had done the cleaning had run into the room at this point and got between us. She verified to Dr. Mike that I had changed insurance when I came in for this visit, and he turned very red in the face and walked out of the room with without saying another word.

I went to the front desk, paid my co-pay, and turned around to see about 10 other people staring at me in the waiting room. Everyone out there had clearly heard the yelling. The receptionist was also noticeably shaken, and wouldn't make eye contact with me.

I turned to those waiting after I got my receipt, and said "All I did was ask why he wanted to pull my wisdom teeth. Is that unreasonable?"Half of them left with me.

I didn't go to a dentist again, for another 17 years. I shared this story when I did go in, and my wisdom teeth look are fine, so there is that, too.

So, yeah. I am not a fan of the chair

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always been curious about them but never tried it.

A gooseneck pry bar, a digging bar, and an axe work pretty good for getting thick bark started and off. Way more tedious on thin to no bark.

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to do an update, as dad has not yet purchased the debarker. My brother and I might just get him one as a father's day gift...

My dad has not been able to do much sawmill work in the last few weeks, as southeast wisconsin is in the middle of "Mud Season" with the spring thaw. His mill is right in front of the barn and it turns into a mud pit until the grass starts to come around. I've tried to talk him into throwing some traffic bond gravel down for years...

He has been running that 026 every time he needs to cut something (alot of damaged trees from the snow) and I think his Ms250 might end up running the debarker instead.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny thing about Dentists, I always seemed to get better service when paying out of pocket than with any Ins. system. Now days dental visits are more like a production run. Unless there is hiccup in the line don't see dentist, just hygienist.