String trimmer attachment compatibility

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking to buy a new string trimmer that accepts the cheap box store Trimmer Plus Brand attachments. I have several of these attachments already and don't want to buy all new unless necessary.

I believe that Echo and Stihl will not accept these and I find mixed information weather or not Husqvarna does.

Does anybody have experience with compatibility of these cheap attachments?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry that I don't have an answer for you, other than just taking the attachment with you when looking at new powerheads.
I did see some square shafts on Echo attachments a while back, but no idea if they'll fit a Ryobi or anything else.

I'm in the same spot actually, wanting new powerhead.
And good lands, the price of a new trimmer has gone up in the last couple years, aint it?
I've always caught some sort of 30cc variant of the Ryobi on Craigslist, but they seem to have dried up. ( I understand the RC airplane crowd has been poaching them, also :eek:)

Usually ethanol damage is the reason people were getting rid of them.
Sometime it's had a car driven over the attachment, etc.
Go see unit and if didn't seem scored, run lean and scraping when you pulled recoil, I'd probably take it.
Yeah, just swap out the attachment hanging at the house.

Carburetors usually were on Ebay for a few bucks $15 or so.
Swap out fuel related stuff and usually get several seasons out of one.
But no way to find any crankshaft seals for them. And no dimensions listed.
Sometimes you might find a shortblock listed somewhere, but that was always more cost than the unit was worth.

I've wondered about the 26cc Ryobi (full crankshaft?) And I absolutly despise the having the recoil built into the middle of any machine!! Always that "easy-start" crap that bends up in them.
But just no way to know if the 26cc have the grunt like the 30cc motors.
180 bucks (Lowes) for a straight shaft one in my area.
argh. I'll likely just dig through my "treasure" pile one more season for something or other.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On another note. I've always looked at the backpack style power units.
Was recently trawling the Asian web pages and looking at some.
Yeah, I keep wishing.

But good grief, the way they jumble and "edit" their photos....
You can't tell ,confidently, what is really being sold by looking at the images.
They will list a 2 stroke engine (i want a 2cycle only) but put a 4-mix head in the some of pictures, etc and so on. Even see some with a dip stick (wet Sump) in the images.

Not much way to figure out the drive line connections other than maybe a diameter for the outer tube is listed.
Seems if a drive core is even mentioned it's a multi-splined type. So won't work with anything I have.

David Boyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has been awhile back (maybe 10-12 years), but I got a good deal on a curved shaft husky 223. Powerhead was fine, but I wanted to convert it to a straight shaft trimmer/hedgetrimmer.
Eventually, I got it done, but in the process discovered that some of those trimmers used splined shafts and others had the little square drive on the end like the Ryobi
So it might be a tossup which one you get.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 4 or 5 trimmers .Over the years I've bought them cheap because they didn't run but one was new and it is a Stihl .The only attatchment I can verify is a blade head versus a string head which I despise .Those seem to interchange .Fact I've got a Stihl head on a McCulloch.
On that if you buy replacement blades at a Stihl dealer you'll have a kings ransome in them .However you can find generic blades via E-bay at a fraction of the cost . I think I bought a big bag of maybe 100 about ten years ago and I only go through maybe 3-4 sets a year ..

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Off the top of my head I think the Husqvarna 128LDX is about the only one that will accept aftermarket attachments. A surefired way to know is to look at the drive, and if it's a square cable drive, it should fit. The pro model Husky LDX series has a solid splined drive shaft.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Forgot to mention a flex shaft inexpensive Poulan pole saw I bought 12-15 years ago .It came with the pole saw plus a weed wacker head the later I've never used .However somebody made attatchments like a little roto tiller and a hedge clipper .I suspect the thing was made by somebody else as I doubt Poulan actually made it . In all that time I've only bought one chain and one carb which was almost as cheap as a rebuild kit .

AnthemBassMan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Husqvarna 128LD that has the split shaft design. I have the Poulan pole saw, edger, and mini cultivator/tiller attachments and they all work great. I’m pretty sure the Trimmer Plus brand attachments work on the 128LD too.

L8R,
Matt

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sorry to hijack… but does anyone know part number for the 128LDX drive shaft?
ipl only shows the housing…

Reactions: Lnk