Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they the 36” model?? Been looking for a good 36” splitter. Have a shorter stihl splitter i believe 30/32” and i don’t care for the shorter handles Haven’t been keeping up with this thread like I should maybe its been discussed already.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they the 36” model?? Been looking for a good 36” splitter. Have a shorter stihl splitter i believe 30/32” and i don’t care for the shorter handles Haven’t been keeping up with this thread like I should maybe its been discussed already.
Council Tool 5lb 36” Splitting Axe.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 5lb too

But I wanna try the 6lb fire axe

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be curious to see how the 6 lb does with your wood. I prefer the 5 lb, over the FE6, myself. 6 lb axe is getting to the point I'd rather just use my 6lb maul.
I bet you’re right. I just got a Falci 6lb maul that’s kinda sharp anngles and it gets stuck. Second from right.

2F556BD0-F554-4209-9D0E-AA39C9256A01.jpeg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet you’re right. I just got a Falci 6lb maul that’s kinda sharp anngles and it gets stuck. Second from right.

View attachment 371198

I don't recall if someone posted a profile of the FE6 or not, but here it is side by side with the 5 lb CT splitting axe.

The bit is about 3/8" longer. 20230326_123228_HDR.jpg20230326_123235_HDR.jpg20230326_123339_HDR.jpg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 371198

If you find convex better, than concave, the FE6 would be good in that regard. Not sure in the rocks (aka wood) you're busting up in the desert, but if that's a desirable characteristic on an axe, the FE6 is the best out of the few I have.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@KS Plainsman you’re my hero! I’ve been wondering…how thick is it at the widest part?

It looks less sticky to me plus more weight…

My little worn out Collins that works better than it should gave me an idea…trim the bit quite a bit shorter so it’s a blunter less sticky angle. Might get out of the heat treated area and have to re treat. Next some phantom bevels or reliefs like someone put in my Collins. Then it might be too heavy on the poll…just using the ox head would be more efficient.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you find convex better, than concave, the FE6 would be good in that regard. Not sure in the rocks (aka wood) you're busting up in the desert, but if that's a desirable characteristic on an axe, the FE6 is the best out of the few I have.
Yes, convex is better for sure.

In my above pic the isocore and husky are close but the husky sticks less. In the green (stringy springy) Euc the iso penetrates better and the husky bounces more, but not a nasty bounce like dry hard euc knots. It’s a helpful bounce that helps you get the maul back up for the next whack. But sometimes I need the iso to get it started. In dry Euc (what broke the ox handle) the blunter/convex are better.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@KS Plainsman you’re my hero! I’ve been wondering…how thick is it at the widest part?

It looks less sticky to me plus more weight…

My little worn out Collins that works better than it should gave me an idea…trim the bit quite a bit shorter so it’s a blunter less sticky angle. Might get out of the heat treated area and have to re treat. Next some phantom bevels or reliefs like someone put in my Collins. Then it might be too heavy on the poll…just using the ox head would be more efficient.

Across at the eye, the widest part, it is 1 3/8", and just in front of the eye, it is 1 1/16". It's about 9/16" wide, about 1 3/4" back to the end of the heat treated part. If you need any other measurements, just ask and I'll do my best to help ya out.

A lot of it for me, is personal preference. It's on a curved handle, and I prefer straight handles, BUT it does split good, with honey locust. I just know that my 6 lb maul is convex enough, that it never sticks. So, if I want 6 lbs, that's what I grab. Again, personal preference.

That said, it's a nice axe, and for the price, it's really hard to beat, after the 5 lb CT splitter.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I split some wood over the weekend with my Collins Axe. Nothing special, just a standard 2 1/2 or 3lb single bit. (Can’t remember the weight, and the tags are all gone) Split some seasoned red oak, and even some seasoned Ash.. the whole time I was thinking about that Ox Head..

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I split some wood over the weekend with my Collins Axe. Nothing special, just a standard 2 1/2 or 3lb single bit. (Can’t remember the weight, and the tags are all gone) Split some seasoned red oak, and even some seasoned Ash.. the whole time I was thinking about that Ox Head..
I have encountered very little here I can effectively split with a reg’lar axe.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have encountered very little here I can effectively split with a reg’lar axe.
From what I’ve read of your posts, you’ve got a unique situation down that way as far as wood is concerned.. I got my Collins Axe stuck a few times the other day. Just kept wondering if I invest in that Ox Head, if it truly would be better and worth it?

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I’ve read of your posts, you’ve got a unique situation down that way as far as wood is concerned.. I got my Collins Axe stuck a few times the other day. Just kept wondering if I invest in that Ox Head, if it truly would be better and worth it?
I’m gonna do a vid of some head to head with it, the council, and the x27 here soon. Dang fire axe want is killing me.