Archer chain

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Received the 18" Archer bar (68dl) I ordered on eBay last week or so. Seams decent so far. Nothing stands out either positive or negative. Like the $17 delivered price tag.1559595325262.jpg We'll see how it holds up down the road I suppose.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Received the 18" Archer bar (68dl) I ordered on eBay last week or so. Seams decent so far. Nothing stands out either positive or negative. Like the $17 delivered price tag.View attachment 184353 We'll see how it holds up down the road I suppose.
The paint may outlast the bar. I've gone through 2 chains and the paint looks new

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered another loop of 84dl, .058, full comp, chisel Archer. $13... I'm guessing after shipping and eBay fees they're getting like $3. Lol. The first loop is holding up well. Figured I ought to get another at that price.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered another loop of 84dl, .058, full comp, chisel Archer. $13... I'm guessing after shipping and eBay fees they're getting like $3. Lol. The first loop is holding up well. Figured I ought to get another at that price.

Yeah you can’t go wrong at that price

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve told my friends to buy it. Most of them don’t sharpen. In that case it’s a no brainer

I dig it even on long bars. I’m not cutting at the moment as it’s too hot out to be in the woods. Haven’t had much need. I do dig the archer chain though

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve told my friends to buy it. Most of them don’t sharpen. In that case it’s a no brainer.

I dig it even on long bars. I’m not cutting at the moment as it’s too hot out to be in the woods. Haven’t had much need. I do dig the archer chain though.
Jake, you and others might like this. A guy brought in a 36" bar and said it was bent just a little and pulled right with the chains that he had. I traded him a used Stihl bar for it and decided to test his "theory" with that so-called bent bar and a new Archer chain (3/8" pitch, .063" gauge). Then I went to the drop site and buck cut straight through a huge oak log, slightly dry.

That cut and the one I made after it with my MS660 was dead on vertical, all the way down. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a customer who does land clearing and uses a chainsaw to cut small trees and things like honeysuckle below the ground a few inches. He is hell on chains. Turned him onto archer chains. I sharpen about 4 to 6 chains about every week for him. They hold up as well as the stihl chains being used like a trencher and for the price he loves them.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a customer who does land clearing and uses a chainsaw to cut small trees and things like honeysuckle below the ground a few inches. He is hell on chains. Turned him onto archer chains. I sharpen about 4 to 6 chains about every week for him. They hold up as well as the stihl chains being used like a trencher and for the price he loves them.
Tree removal companies tend to go through chains like Grant went through Richmond. Another problem they have is that residential trees have embedded nails waiting to be cut in half. Many sawmills won't even accept a residential tree.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most residential trees are not fond of sawmills either!

Philbert
Well, around here sawmills do not go after residences to get trees, nor do they accept requests by homeowners to come and get them. I would say that better than 95% of all the wood processed at a sawmill is from rural or commercial property.

So, trees have emotional capability, such as fondness? That's a new on on me. Philbert, did you knock down some dinner wine tonight? :rolleyes:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, around here sawmills do not go after residences to get trees, nor do they accept requests by homeowners to come and get them. I would say that better than 95% of all the wood processed at a sawmill is from rural or commercial property.

So, trees have emotional capability, such as fondness? That's a new on on me. Philbert, did you knock down some dinner wine tonight? :rolleyes:
Just one of them "Tree Hugger Daze"

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, went to order another 84 dl loop of Archer on eBay for $13 and the seller cut me off(no longer ships to Alaska). Lol. Probably figured out he was loosing his arse on shipping. Anyway, the Archer seller from Minnesota has them for $15. So ordered from him. Accidentally bought semi chisel....sent him a message and he fixed it and sent full chisel. Nice guy. Quick response and shipping.

Going to stock up on a few more chains soon. Just paid $25 for a loop of 68Dl .325 RM3 from the local Stihl dealer. Good chain but dang it's not gold plated! Is it?

Has anyone used that "upstart" brand found on eBay and Amazon? Very cheap. Maybe it's crap?