Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will. It cuts well, just stretched a bit too much for my liking. Only really cut after I did file voodoo. Lol.
But price is right.

I just get them when it comes with a goofball bar on eBay cause it's easy. Been buying some Raisman chain too. Silver streak, Laser, Woodland pro, you name it seems I have tried it a time or two, besides Husqvarna, Stihl, Oregon and Carlton. Forrester is the only one to give me trouble and the only one I won't run.
Best chain is some of the old stuff you find on old junk saws. Had a old McCulloch loop that was the toughest chain I have ever seen.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just get them when it comes with a goofball bar on eBay cause it's easy. Been buying some Raisman chain too. Silver streak, Laser, Woodland pro, you name it seems I have tried it a time or two, besides Husqvarna, Stihl, Oregon and Carlton. Forrester is the only one to give me trouble and the only one I won't run.
Best chain is some of the old stuff you find on old junk saws. Had a old McCulloch loop that was the toughest chain I have ever seen.

Funny you mention Forester. I bought a loop of .058 84dl 3/8 a couple years back. I was cutting red eucalyptus with the 6401. It dulled horribly fast! Found the same loop a few months ago, sharpened it and have been cutting spruce with it no problem. Maybe soft steal? What do you think of the other off brand chains you mentioned Steve? Any stand out as a good value?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny you mention Forester. I bought a loop of .058 84dl 3/8 a couple years back. I was cutting red eucalyptus with the 6401. It dulled horribly fast! Found the same loop a few months ago, sharpened it and have been cutting spruce with it no problem. Maybe soft steal? What do you think of the other off brand chains you mentioned Steve? Any stand out as a good value?

I would be inclined to try out some of the new offerings from Oregon and Husqvarna, otherwise Stihl chain lasts the best for me, especially in dirty wood. Otherwise I can't remember what I paid for what to say other than that they are all very close to each other. Laser is made in the USA and most others are from Chinese manufacturers. Woodland pro has been good to me but a pita to order from Bailey's. Been getting some Raisman chain lately and it is okay for firewood duty. Few loops of Archer are still holding up alright. Silver streak was much better than I expected. Want to try some Rotary chain and see what it's about. I have mostly Oregon and then Stihl as far as the most quantity.
Too many chains, too little time.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some 'third party brands' contract out their chains to different manufacturers, so the quality can be inconsistent. Might be happy with one loop and disappointed with another.

Philbert
That's definitely the case with Forester. I bought a 20" combo and a 24" chain. Chains weren't remotely similar

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I scored some Mac chain old rusty stuff from rupe dog a couple years ago. That is good chain.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MMWS Dolmar PS-6100 running new factory round ground Archer chisel chain in beech

Dolmar PS-550, same Archer chain which made only the cuts in the previous video

Dolmar PS-6400, same Archer chain which made only the 8 cuts in the previous videos