Archer chain

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd personally take the bottom of the gullet down a bit, then put a real file on the cutter and retry. Be sure of the angles. Doesn't look too far off...
OR try and square file it. I pretty much never give up... lol. [emoji2957]

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pass it on in an Xmas giving type thread for someone who wants to practice on a new grinder.

Philbert
Shipping a single loop to the US would be in the ballpark of 10-13$.

Do You really think someone would be willing to cover that for a ~3/4th worn Archer chain when they can get a new one off eBay for the same cost? ;)

I'll kill this used Archer loop and a fairly worn Vanguard by bucking logs - that should be considered a honorable death.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd personally take the bottom of the gullet down a bit, then put a real file on the cutter and retry. Be sure of the angles. Doesn't look too far off...
OR try and square file it. I pretty much never give up... lol. [emoji2957]
To me my time and patience is more valuable than that loop. ;)

It's much less *s-wordty than the TriLink I have (and stopped using!!!), but to me it's still *s-wordty.

Grinding the loop (and a couple others) was a test to see if I can get decent sharpening results in lesser time than filing - it was a negative, filing is king.

That Archer loop did get round filed since 2017, and it will buck OK - but it stops dead in knotty oak, noodles poorly, doesn't feed well when fully burried.
These are all scenarios that I encounter and in addition to bucking I want my chains to perform no less than average under any of the given circumstances.
Come to think of it, I should have used this Archer loop on the small diameter ash and beech logs that I have dismantled recently - would have taken at least some of it's remaining life away.

I don't square file, and even if I were to I certainly wouldn't do it on an Archer loop considering my experience with it.

As I keep saying, if Archer works for You - I am glad and happy for You. :)

Without affordable competition brand name chainsaw chains would be more expensive then they already are!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My post was not supposed to be offensive! :)

I have messed with this elder Archer loop since 2017, it got more than enough attention - it's time to "let it go".

Regarding the new Archer loop, my saw run time is limited, I will not waste any time on it when I have a proven better alternative - modified Vanguard loops. ;)

Cheers :beer-toast1:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl price's before 6% tax 20190731_132915.jpgare why i switched to oregon,total closeout chain ,archer,upstart
Ran stihl since the 80s still like it just not worth it to me.
I can handfile or grind the other's to cut excactly
How i like.
Archer is raising price's
So oregon and other's will get more of my business.
Anyone run 8ten they have 3 84dl semi chisel for 39.98 shipped

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The non replaceable sprocket tip on this Archer bar has too long of rails holding the chain off the sprocket. This is a picture after 1 cut. But, I don't expect to get much use out of it as I accidentally bought a laminated bar, and cheap laminated bars suck.

DSC00232 (898x1280).jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The non replaceable sprocket tip on this Archer bar has too long of rails holding the chain off the sprocket. This is a picture after 1 cut. But, I don't expect to get much use out of it as I accidentally bought a laminated bar, and cheap laminated bars suck.

View attachment 194296
Remove the sprocket, grind or file the rails down, re-insert the sprocket?!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So is getting a mediocre chain to cut decent and yet You all think it worthwhile. ;)

I would try and fix the bar, then again there are no 8$ bars here in Croatia.
You guys can consider Yourself lucky with some if the prices You have in the US.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's the challenge Wilhelm...
The challenge to use your skills to get a bad chain to cut well...
Some things get lost in the cultures I guess...
The old make something out of nothing...
Personal inner satisfaction...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is from an Archer chain rep. I told him that I would post it here, to go along with the user feedback experience:

"Archer Chainsaw Chain comes from PMD International an Australian company headquartered in Melbourne, Australia.

Archer Chainsaw Chain is made with Japanese steel in a manufacturing facility that PMD International owns and operates in China. The saw chain manufacturing plant was set up a several years ago with the help of a former Oregon/Carlton saw chain engineer. I have known the Australian family behind Archer chain for over 25 years, I have been through the chain plant and I am very confident in the product they sell. PMD even makes chain (private label) for one of John Deere's subsidiaries here in the states.

Archer has installed the most comprehensive laboratory to ensure that all materials and parts all continuously quality controlled to ensure 100% consistent high quality. Archer have also installed a Q.C. system that ensures all saw chain is manufactured to high Western standards. Archer only use high quality Nickel Alloy steel to manufacture saw chain, the high-quality steel ensures toughness, and durability to accommodate all conditions and climates.

CHROMING All Archer saw chain cutters are plated with hard industrial chrome. The process used ensures a lasting cutting edge and a superior stay sharp quality. Regarding the RIVETS Archer knows that the quality of the rivet is the key to high quality saw chain. All rivets are manufactured to the highest tolerances and are processed through 4 different heat treatment processes to ensure maximum and optimum performance. The induction hardening high frequency generators are state-of-the-art and ensure optimum hardness and performance.

If you check out our feedback's you can see what our customers (and we have many repeat customers) say about the Archer chain and if you try the Archer chain, we think you will be very happy you did. "

Philbert