Anybody quit/quitting smoking?

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of all my vices, cigarettes are probably my worst, and the one I can't seem to do in moderation.
I cut down to 1 or 2 a day, and sure enough I'm back to smoking 15-20 a day before I know it.
I've been doing this for 20 years and I'm about over it. I've quit before and never gone longer than a few months.
Anybody got any stories they want to share?

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Of all my vices, cigarettes are probably my worst, and the one I can't seem to do in moderation.
I cut down to 1 or 2 a day, and sure enough I'm back to smoking 15-20 a day before I know it.
I've been doing this for 20 years and I'm about over it. I've quit before and never gone longer than a few months.
Anybody got any stories they want to share?

I have not had a Smoke in 20 years. there isn't a time when I'm outside when someone else is having one that I don't crave one. TO THIS DAY.
It reminds me of being 12 Yrs old and sneaking a smoke by the fire in some woods. those were fun times and that cig smoke takes me there instantly.

You have to accept the fact that quitting means you cannot have ONE SINGLE cigarette EVER again no matter what the urge, need or personal issue that weakens you. As you already know...ONE single cig leads you back to another pack and another 20 years of bad habits. Accept you cannot have ONE. and it will be over.

prayer helps too- one is being sent your way !

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I quit about 12 yrs ago,i used hypnotism.
Looking back now i can't believe how dumb i was to slowly kill myself and give some big corporation my money to do it at the same time.
One of the biggest motivators for me was my daughter.I realized early that she was a smart girl and i would have to pay for a University education when she got older.
So not only did i quit smoking i quit drinking as well.
Now we have the savings to put her through any University that she chooses,and she can chose any profession that she wants.
And the bonus is that i am healthier for it,and don't miss either.
Wish i was smarter when i was young

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am glad you guys have quit or are trying to quit. I started in 1972 and I am still smoking today, 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day. Guess I never really wanted to quit. Tried chewing tobacco for a couple years in the eighty's, but the more I chewed the more I wanted to smoke, so I quit that. When I went to high school we had a smoking shed outside that we could smoke under at lunch time if you smoked. " Pretty sure there are no more of them anymore." But I have been making my own for years with menthol pipe tobacco and 4 different cigarette machines.

I guess I just have to make up my mind to quit.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I crush close to full pack and threw them down on the floorboards.I haven't touched one since that day in 2006.You have to want to quit.

New a guy that did that exact same thing years ago, he hasn't smoked one since.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True story I'm 30 in a few days I smoked for 15 year I just quit this summer I had one the other day golfing tasted like *s-word. You gotta want it I dip skoal a little now. I want that to be a short lived habit. It's just the nicotine your body craves I always hated smoking in the summer as it's so hot out. I'm doing good and I am in really good shape right now my worst times are when my hands go idle .. My ol man got sick and stuff not to get all into that but doctors said he needed to quit so I quit before he did We both get a laugh about it cause he tells me he could just eat a box once in a while. Give quitting a go but you must want it
Hardest thing for me is drinking then I want a smoke

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck man the initial quitting is a *b-word but it gets a lil easier every day you'll damn sure feel better

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
True story I'm 30 in a few days I smoked for 15 year I just quit this summer I had one the other day golfing tasted like *s-word. You gotta want it I dip skoal a little now. I want that to be a short lived habit. It's just the nicotine your body craves I always hated smoking in the summer as it's so hot out. I'm doing good and I am in really good shape right now my worst times are when my hands go idle .. My ol man got sick and stuff not to get all into that but doctors said he needed to quit so I quit before he did We both get a laugh about it cause he tells me he could just eat a box once in a while. Give quitting a go but you must want it
Hardest thing for me is drinking then I want a smoke

Don't be afraid to quit drinking too.
Let us know when you find something good in the bottom of a bottle

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. Yes it's time for me to quit. There is some good inspiration here.
I've had a couple of good friends quit after reading Alan Carr's "Quit smoking now". I've had it on the shelf for a while, I'll start reading tonight.

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, smoking stories. Started when I was 12. Quit when I was 27. Started again at 41, what a *f-wording idiot eh? Still just about a half a pack a day, but I gotta have em, yep, I be an addict, until I confront that crossroad I won't quit, sorry not much help, but that's my story.

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I quit over 6 years ago, having smoked for 16 years, started when I was 14. I got down to 4-5 a day and got on Chantix. That helped me quit and I'm glad I did..........other than the weight I put on. Don't have the urge at all any more, and so much better being able to smell and taste things. Was surprised at what I was missing.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its been covered above, but you have to want to quit. i had been trying for a while to quit, went out and partied, smoked a ton of cigs, felt like garbage the next day, and just said enough is enough. nicotine free ( i used to chew like a madman as well) since then, honestly cant remember if its been 7 or 8 years now. i still have cravings as angelo said above, when im around others smoking, but only momentarily. im a non-smoker/non-chewer now and always will be, period.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm workin on it been vapin a bit and went from a pack a day the a pack every day and a half. it's a start, I have a addictive personality with things I like and 1 thing I likeep is bad for me. so eventually it's gotta go

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm workin on it been vapin a bit and went from a pack a day the a pack every day and a half. it's a start, I have a addictive personality with things I like and 1 thing I likeep is bad for me. so eventually it's gotta go
Hey Mike,
If those are your kids in your Avatar, then that's the only things you are really "addicted" to....
be around for them as long as possible. Everything else is just noise.

be strong everyday....