Anybody quit/quitting smoking?

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sitting here in my chair exhausted from climbing up and down hills hunting today (didn't see anything). It's a reminder that, even with tobacco out of the way, I still have a long way to go if I want to make it into my 90's. I've been a compulsive eater ever since I was a little kid and seldom made any progress against it. I once went on a crash diet combined with a strenuous job and dropped 70 pounds in a year, since then I've put it back on. Don't know what the solution would be, given that you have to eat to stay alive.
some men are bigger than others. but diabetes that should be a enough of a game changer for you. i hope you reach your goal weight.you have a goal weight get to it and good luck.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not diabetic, however it does run in the family and I need to avoid it. I'm not sure that a goal weight is even something I should worry about. Rather, things like blood pressure, cholesterol, exercise ability, and so on. Would I love to be skinny? Yes, absolutely, but I also dont want to fall into the trap of allowing numbers on a scale determine my quality of life. Which, alot of fat people do just that even if they never lose anything.

Sitting here typing this after work, I can already feel some benefit from my little walk at lunch. Gonna do it tomorrow too!

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got it dude! Working out always helped me out. Although at the same time I have a very old habit of throwing in a chew when I'm about to fire up a saw and cut.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got it dude! Working out always helped me out. Although at the same time I have a very old habit of throwing in a chew when I'm about to fire up a saw and cut.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I throw in some gum and it's all good!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying a little experiment here. Chewed my last piece of nicotine gum on Tuesday night. Usually I just get some more on the way to work, however I didn't have time to do it Wednesday morning. I could have went out for it at lunch, but decided I would see how long I can go without it. After all, it's just another unhealthy thing I'm throwing my money away on so here goes.

It's now Thursday and I'm still clean. Surprisingly I don't think about nicotine or tobacco that much. I am alot more fatigued when sitting at my desk at work, and had a real bear of a headache last night, which are classic withdrawal symptoms. Coffee seems to really help that. So, I'll see how long I can ride this out!

highland_hunter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to want to quit. I smoked way longer and more than I should have. Tried it all cold turkey, hypnotism, you name it. One day when "the patch" became a non-prescription item I went for it. Used the patch one week and was done. I think it just helped get over the initial cravings and I've never looked back.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I was a kid, county fair had carnival games any age person could play and win 2 packs of smokes at a time. I saved them up and would sneak out in the cornfields and smoke now and then usually with a buddy. In middle school was being taught how bad it was and i had in my mind i was not going to be a smoker and initially that didn't become a habit, but when my buddies started smoking dope, pure pressure got the best of me and my thought was if I'd smoke a cigarette after a joint it would mask the marijuana smell should a cop pull the car over. So not long after this began, I got to buying my own smokes and when it sunk in I had the habit, made an oath to myself i would quit when I turn 21 thinking a few or so years wouldn't hurt me bad. When I turned 21 I threw the cigarettes out and tried to quit several times a year for most of the next decade. Tried taking up Skoal in or the like in its place, but when i got in awkward places to spit would eventually give in to bumming a cigarette now and then until i started back into buying my own. First thing felt the need to do when i woke was a cigarette then a few or more cups of coffee with multiple cigarettes,eat,then more coffee and cigarettes. Work days it usually would taper off to 2, little more or less packs. Party or card nights seemed like I smoked endlessly. All night poker games often had couple or more smokes burning at the same time before i new it. Nights like that 5 packs wasn't uncommon. I drank beer, whisky, and vodka, smoked dope and tried about every other drug that came to our town .
Only 1 I become thoroughly addicted to was nicotine. Literally a slave to the cigarettes. If I only had a few or less on hand when I woke, felt I had to get somewhere could get some more . Couldn't think straight without some nicotine , my head swim or ache. Quitting never worked, would end up smoking and chewing tobacco at the same time. As a result of seeking out my creator (it wasn't about the addiction), finally making a commitment to try to walk the straight and narrow path that leadeth to life everlasting, my searching pointed to being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, walking in the newness of life, so I asked some people to baptize me and we met at a frozen pond in Feb. and a hole was cut in the ice with a chainsaw and it was done. I had smoked about 5 cigarettes earliar that day, but then tossed the rest of the pack. Not so much as an inkling to ever want to smoke again, a free man, no withdrawals of any kind. Mornings in restaurants were full of smokers in those days, no bother, cut way down on coffee and sugar also, no problems .
I know some don't believe GOD had anything to do with it and think they have another rational opinion to what happenned. But it was my experiences leading up to and after that I will base my assumptions on and I give God the glory for this freedom from being controlled by the flesh in the name of Jesus Christ ...
Hope all the best for you all to...

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to want to quit. I smoked way longer and more than I should have. Tried it all cold turkey, hypnotism, you name it. One day when "the patch" became a non-prescription item I went for it. Used the patch one week and was done. I think it just helped get over the initial cravings and I've never looked back.
Good luck with nicotine free life.

When I was a kid, county fair had carnival games any age person could play and win 2 packs of smokes at a time. I saved them up and would sneak out in the cornfields and smoke now and then usually with a buddy. In middle school was being taught how bad it was and i had in my mind i was not going to be a smoker and initially that didn't become a habit, but when my buddies started smoking dope, pure pressure got the best of me and my thought was if I'd smoke a cigarette after a joint it would mask the marijuana smell should a cop pull the car over. So not long after this began, I got to buying my own smokes and when it sunk in I had the habit, made an oath to myself i would quit when I turn 21 thinking a few or so years wouldn't hurt me bad. When I turned 21 I threw the cigarettes out and tried to quit several times a year for most of the next decade. Tried taking up Skoal in or the like in its place, but when i got in awkward places to spit would eventually give in to bumming a cigarette now and then until i started back into buying my own. First thing felt the need to do when i woke was a cigarette then a few or more cups of coffee with multiple cigarettes,eat,then more coffee and cigarettes. Work days it usually would taper off to 2, little more or less packs. Party or card nights seemed like I smoked endlessly. All night poker games often had couple or more smokes burning at the same time before i new it. Nights like that 5 packs wasn't uncommon. I drank beer, whisky, and vodka, smoked dope and tried about every other drug that came to our town .
Only 1 I become thoroughly addicted to was nicotine. Literally a slave to the cigarettes. If I only had a few or less on hand when I woke, felt I had to get somewhere could get some more . Couldn't think straight without some nicotine , my head swim or ache. Quitting never worked, would end up smoking and chewing tobacco at the same time. As a result of seeking out my creator (it wasn't about the addiction), finally making a commitment to try to walk the straight and narrow path that leadeth to life everlasting, my searching pointed to being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, walking in the newness of life, so I asked some people to baptize me and we met at a frozen pond in Feb. and a hole was cut in the ice with a chainsaw and it was done. I had smoked about 5 cigarettes earliar that day, but then tossed the rest of the pack. Not so much as an inkling to ever want to smoke again, a free man, no withdrawals of any kind. Mornings in restaurants were full of smokers in those days, no bother, cut way down on coffee and sugar also, no problems .
I know some don't believe GOD had anything to do with it and think they have another rational opinion to what happenned. But it was my experiences leading up to and after that I will base my assumptions on and I give God the glory for this freedom from being controlled by the flesh in the name of Jesus Christ ...
Hope all the best for you all to...

Awesome ! Thank you for sharing.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I quit when the PX raised the price, for a carton, to $2.05.

I recall when I was a child in the early 80's my mother purchasing a carton(200 cigs) of kents in the PX for 6.99.
I was in Puerto Vallarta in the late 90's. A local Seven shop had some Luckies. They charged $1 a pack.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I started smoking at the age of 13, name brand cigs were like $1.40 a pack at grocery stores. Of course, I had to time my purchase when there was a young looking clerk on the job who didn't care how old you were. If that failed, I would just go to a particular gas station that would sell to anybody at any time and charged the unholy sum of $1.85 a pack for the privilege.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think giving up the nic is paying off in at least one way. I joined my mom and sisters for a nice walk along the borders of the family farm today. Its rolling hills, just like the places I go hunting. I suddenly realized I was walking up hills at a decent clip and not out of breath! Afterwards I cut up a cedar that had fallen down, and finally broke a sweat and needed a break after getting it on the ground and bucking it up.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think giving up the nic is paying off in at least one way. I joined my mom and sisters for a nice walk along the borders of the family farm today. Its rolling hills, just like the places I go hunting. I suddenly realized I was walking up hills at a decent clip and not out of breath! Afterwards I cut up a cedar that had fallen down, and finally broke a sweat and needed a break after getting it on the ground and bucking it up.

Good to hear! Just keep on rolling !

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Three weeks off the nic now, and still feeling good about this. I have caught myself compensating by eating more a few times, however my weight is still unchanged. The real test will be when farm and yard work starts up in the spring, I'll be interested to see if my exercise tolerance has increased much.

oldbitz

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave them up Nov 2018 after being a smoker for 40 years. Apart from the obvious health benefits the cost was just getting out of control, a pouch of RYO tobacco now costs just over $40 for a 25 gram. Some days I miss it others I don't, but I know if I slip and have even one I will take it up again.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought I would report that I'm still off the nicotine, this is the longest time I have gone without it since I was in middle school. I also switched to decaf coffee. My blood pressure is now in the normal range too. My exercise ability still needs more improvement, I still get winded more easily than I would like. I've been seeing a dietician and very slowly losing weight, so hopefully that will improve.