• Total voters

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to call today. From what I've read if I register the truck at 26000 I just need a chauffeur's license. But if I register it at the GVW on the door I need a CDL. From what I've gathered as long as I don't exceed 26000 pounds what is on my registration then I will be fine because it has hydraulic brakes. But if I'm caught over 26,000 pounds then I have a problem has anybody found this to be true? Thanks

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In CT you can register it for lower weight, but still need CDL if the sticker is over. Best ask that question to your local truck squad. Police won’t check the door, but truck squad will .

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So done some digging and it seems either there's a whole lot of people breaking a whole lot of laws LOL or my state troopers don't know what you're talking about. If you pull a trailer over 10000. You're required a CDL and Medical card.
Anything you drive that is over 10,000 lb and under 26,000 you're required to have a medical card and not a CDL. Anything over 26,000 lb you are required to have a CDL and medical card with proper endorsements. Now this is all based off of the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating. You can register a vehicle at any weight you choose to as long as you don't exceed that weight limit but that does not affect whether or not you can get away with a chauffeur's license or have to have a CDL. Now this is for the state of Michigan for other states I do not know. I should also add that this does not apply to personal used vehicles motorhomes campers RVs stuff like that. It applies to anything that is being used to create Revenue

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here is something you probably won't run in to but I thought I'd throw out there. Some states ( Nebraska) you have to have a CDL if your truck is being used for anything that can make money. A lady I work with barrel races horses and found out the hard way after being pulled over. Pretty sad you can get a $1500 ticket for being able to win a $100 first prize.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And here is something you probably won't run in to but I thought I'd throw out there. Some states ( Nebraska) you have to have a CDL if your truck is being used for anything that can make money. A lady I work with barrel races horses and found out the hard way after being pulled over. Pretty sad you can get a $1500 ticket for being able to win a $100 first prize.

Yea it's crazy all about money.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So done some digging and it seems either there's a whole lot of people breaking a whole lot of laws LOL or my state troopers don't know what you're talking about. If you pull a trailer over 10000. You're required a CDL and Medical card.
Anything you drive that is over 10,000 lb and under 26,000 you're required to have a medical card and not a CDL. Anything over 26,000 lb you are required to have a CDL and medical card with proper endorsements. Now this is all based off of the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating. You can register a vehicle at any weight you choose to as long as you don't exceed that weight limit but that does not affect whether or not you can get away with a chauffeur's license or have to have a CDL. Now this is for the state of Michigan for other states I do not know. I should also add that this does not apply to personal used vehicles motorhomes campers RVs stuff like that. It applies to anything that is being used to create Revenue

This sounds about right. I think the weight for med card is 15k here though. The rest sounds the same. Hence the reason to get the manufacturers weight rating changed below 26,001#

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This sounds about right. I think the weight for med card is 15k here though. The rest sounds the same. Hence the reason to get the manufacturers weight rating changed below 26,001#
So how exactly do you get the manufacturer's weight rating change to that?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how exactly do you get the manufacturer's weight rating change to that?

In these trucks the manufacturer is considered the truck body builder. So when we looked into it, Altec was the one who built the truck, so they have to make a new tag. My buddy runs a truck shop that builds these trucks. If he is building it for you, he can rate it to your needs. But he can’t change someone else build numbers without modifying the truck.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In these trucks the manufacturer is considered the truck body builder. So when we looked into it, Altec was the one who built the truck, so they have to make a new tag. My buddy runs a truck shop that builds these trucks. If he is building it for you, he can rate it to your needs. But he can’t change someone else build numbers without modifying the truck.
So my best bet would be to take it to a GMC dealer?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my best bet would be to take it to a GMC dealer?

No because they don’t build it. They just sell the cab and chassis with a weight maximum. This can be changed by whoever installs the body by changing axels or adding them.
If it’s an Altec boom, you need to find a dealer.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That one would be a hi Ranger boom. So it's $125 for the CDL road course
It's $90 for the medical physical
$35 for the test at the Secretary of State
Possible opportunities down the road if need be having a CDL and a whole lot less headaches and trying to get it changed LOL

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That one would be a hi Ranger boom. So it's $125 for the CDL road course
It's $90 for the medical physical
$35 for the test at the Secretary of State
Possible opportunities down the road if need be having a CDL and a whole lot less headaches and trying to get it changed LOL

CDL is not as easy to get here. But yes having it is a bonus. My boss uses it a dozen times a year. We do parking lot lighting repairs. And 6 different guys. For him it’s worth derating it.
You need med card either way.
Don’t forget blood alcohol levels are less if you get a cdl, at least here in CT

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I don't have to worry about that I've never had a drink and drove a day in my life and never will. Sounds like I'll just go the cdl route

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got a bit more of information the state trooper actually called me back and asked me if I was using it for commercial or personal I told him commercial. But ask the details of personal use. He said that nothing is required if it's being used for personal use he said you can buy a semi truck for personal use and all you need is an air brake endorsement. That's some crazy stuff just wanted to pass the information along

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got a bit more of information the state trooper actually called me back and asked me if I was using it for commercial or personal I told him commercial. But ask the details of personal use. He said that nothing is required if it's being used for personal use he said you can buy a semi truck for personal use and all you need is an air brake endorsement. That's some crazy stuff just wanted to pass the information along

That’s different than here. My truck is under cdl and has air brakes. I asked Motor Vehicle about it and they said under CDL I don’t need air brake endorsement. Crazy loophole. Been running it for 6 years now. Pulled over twice by truck squad and all is good.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s different than here. My truck is under cdl and has air brakes. I asked Motor Vehicle about it and they said under CDL I don’t need air brake endorsement. Crazy loophole. Been running it for 6 years now. Pulled over twice by truck squad and all is good.
I'm glad all is good. Man they should try to make the regs the same in the state's that way you don't have an issue over something stupid. Just have to keep up with the rules and regulations.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So went and looked at the 99 today with the xt 55 on it.. I think ima buy it. Anything I should know about that boom before the purchase? Thanks Joe.