• Total voters

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Title says it all looking into this forestry truck anyone have one? Not much information on the lr3 altec boom. If you have one do you like it? Any real issues with it. Hopefully this don't turn into a brand war or a pissing match lol just want real life thoughts on one if you have or have used one thanks. Joe

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My biggest question would be, What engine is in the truck? Some of those had the throw away Caterpillars and are junk. We had a few plow trucks (hauled JD 400 fire dozers) that had the Cat motor and 2 speed rears. Good trucks until the motors turned loose.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's got the 366 Big Block in it with 87,000 miles on it. And it also comes with a brand new crate motor 366 big block. The guy that owns it had an idle issue and I guess he jumped the gun on buying a motor and it turned out it just needed a distributor.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's between that one and a 1999 GMC c7500 with a high ranger xt boom on it. With a 454 big block and 66000 miles. The 97 is in a little bit worse shape than the 99. But there is a $7,000 price tag difference. I just don't know what to do

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I won't be much help unfortunately but I have browsed the sale adds for a bucket truck. And have noticed some say they are certified ready to use. So I imagine that verys state to state. And the other thing I would look up is how serviceable one boom is over the other and the availability of part.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes certification is important when buying. And when operating a lot of people don't certify to each their own. But both sellers aren't currently up to date on certifications but told me I was more than welcome to have them certified at my expense as long as they pass. If they fail they will reimburse me certification is not as expensive as one would think but it is more important than anything you can possibly do also a lot of people just do the dielectric test when having it stress-tested and everything checked out is only a couple hundred more. I am far from being a wealthy man but I tell you what nobody's life is worth a couple hundred bucks. It's just too bad everybody didn't think this way cuz there'd be a lot more arborist around today. And line men and woman.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't tell you about the boom truck itself, but I'd rather have the 454. I get the cheaper truck and extra engine though... I've settled more than a few times to make the sensible choice.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea the cheaper truck is in good shape and for the price in better shape but I'm curiouse about the boom. Also I hear the xt booms had some issues. So idk

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those 366's are good engines and have good power I wouldn't be afraid of that one at all

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I worked on a lot of Altec stuff it is well made . I was a third party authorized warranty tech for them for a while. I did the certifications on the power company trucks in my area. The 366 and 454 are both good engines. Those top kicks are tough old trucks.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aweome guys I think ima go with the 99 with the 454 main 3 cylinder kabota pony and a high ranger xt 60. Going to look at it monday.. can't wait.. another thing I noticed is some require a chauffeur's others require a CDL what's the difference between the two trucks even tho they appear the same. What causes the weight differece anyone know? Thanks Joe

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The brake system can also determine which liesnse you need. Air brakes will usually require CDL.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea there hydrolic I was just wondering what they do different between the two trucks in order to get the weight reduction from CDL to non CDL. You see what I'm saying how did they cut that weight. Was it at the cost of strength?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The brake system can also determine which liesnse you need. Air brakes will usually require CDL.

In CT I have an fl60 hook truck rated at 25,999 that has air brakes, no CDL required. But if it was 26,001 I would need CDL with air brake endorsement...weird

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea there hydrolic I was just wondering what they do different between the two trucks in order to get the weight reduction from CDL to non CDL. You see what I'm saying how did they cut that weight. Was it at the cost of strength?

It’s not what the truck weighs but what it is rated to weigh fully loaded.

Company I work for has a 95 Ford with 60’ Altec, it’s rated at 28,000 with hydraulic brakes. It will never weigh that much, so we are having altec derate the truck to 25,999 so that anyone can drive it legal. It is in the shop now for a recall on the boom.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s not what the truck weighs but what it is rated to weigh fully loaded.

Company I work for has a 95 Ford with 60’ Altec, it’s rated at 28,000 with hydraulic brakes. It will never weigh that much, so we are having altec derate the truck to 25,999 so that anyone can drive it legal. It is in the shop now for a recall on the boom.
What recall would that be what boom is it? And thanks does it cost anything to have them derate the vehicle how do you go about doing that?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What recall would that be what boom is it an XT series? Would it be the recall for the welds cracking at the bottom pivot pin

I’m not sure what model it is. Recall had something to do with one of the boom cylinders I think. Whatever control system it has they are changing to a newer system for free because they want the old one for research... not sure if it’s connected or not. They apparently have been looking for one for a while.

661joe

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure what model it is. Recall had something to do with one of the boom cylinders I think. Whatever control system it has they are changing to a newer system for free because they want the old one for research... not sure if it’s connected or not. They apparently have been looking for one for a while.
What did it take to derate the truck?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What did it take to derate the truck?

A request and a new sticker on the door. Them wanting that old hydraulic control didn’t hurt.
These trucks are sold cab and chassis. The body manufacturer rates the truck.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are looking to derate it, I would verify you can in your state before buying though.