572 updates

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thinking is a new 80cc saw should have the power of the older 90cc models, so it may vary well make a saw like the 390xp obsolete. Now a bigger near 100cc saw is a different story. Really 70cc and 90cc saws could be replaced buy one strong 80cc IMHO.[emoji111]

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thinking is a new 80cc saw should have the power of the older 90cc models, so it may vary well make a saw like the 390xp obsolete. Now a bigger near 100cc saw is a different story. Really 70cc and 90cc saws could be replaced buy one strong 80cc IMHO.[emoji111]
Andre, we had that back in the 1970's. Pull the bottom ring out of a Jonsereds 80 and put the Jonsered 90 to shame.
scan0004.jpg

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Andre, we had that back in the 1970's. Pull the bottom ring out of a Jonsereds 80 and put the Jonsered 90 to shame.
View attachment 187730
There’s a saw that hardly ever gets any mention! Wish I would’ve kept the one I had even if it was completely used up.

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Question is, do we need a 80cc saw?
I think they will stay with 70cc and 90cc

YES to compete with makita 7900 and stihl 500i which are 80cc class saws. 80cc saws are a great do it all size the old 461 was closer to 80cc than 70cc. Just a great engine size for a saw close in weight to a 70cc saw with more power and torque, about perfect for an all around do most anything saw.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YES to compete with makita 7900 and stihl 500i which are 80cc class saws. 80cc saws are a great do it all size the old 461 was closer to 80cc than 70cc. Just a great engine size for a saw close in weight to a 70cc saw with more power and torque, about perfect for an all around do most anything saw.
Exactly.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question is, do we need a 80cc saw?
I think they will stay with 70cc and 90cc

Not really, but need can be defined a couple different ways. If Stihl has an 80cc saw then there will be those who feel Husky needs to respond with one of their own.

This exercise does raise a few questions though. How would that impact the sales of the 572? Or the predicted 592? And how much real performance would be gained by that 2mm bore increase? And at what price?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s a saw that hardly ever gets any mention! Wish I would’ve kept the one I had even if it was completely used up.
Yep I'm looking for another one too.
To build a 90% magnesium Jonsereds 80 today they couldn't afford to make it.
Was one bulletproof well made saw. Had one of the first inboard clutches if not the first starting on the senior Jonsereds way back in the early 1960's. Still held on by a large nut strong enough to hold a diesel pickups power steering pulley on.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear it is doing ok but not to many guys run the 70cc Husqvarna up the passages or inlets once the xtorq came in. There was something to be said about the "Simonized era". I was the one and the only that ran ALL 372 in recent years out there in the Deep Deep West. If there was 25 seasoned Fallers then I would have 1/2 or 2/5 of them and the work that was getting done by the 372's per shift may have been 100% by me.(out of 25 Fallers) For a 70. 9cc saw then the Simonized 372 will always be cemented in stone and always will rein supreme as 'the 70cc' King of the coast BC. That is just a fact. In comparison with the old Stihl vets.. A lot of guys run Deakerized 660's and most all own one of Deak's hot rodded 461's that they ever never use...but they sure love it. Even Fallers have ''shelf Queens" apparently???
All the good old boys have rolled out the red carpet for me when I was in my prime 40's. I have been offered the use of grinders, 660's, endless advice in camp, Advice on the hill, Friendship. Not that I asked but a few had said "you can't use my 461 though. Haha. I've never prided myself as a Faller. That's not my saw background but I'm a beast on the saw. These men broke in on the coast at 18-19 yrs old. You leach all the information you can off these guy because 'you' are cutting where their body's won't. May it be the cycle of life but even somebody as modest as me..well I can't pretend I wasn't flattered... lol.

Some of these guys retired with a lot of dignity. There is always the on going thought/joke that others will 'retire at the stump' True coast legends.
~WBF, great report. You could write newspaper articles or maybe delve into a book on timberfallers.

I have a little story for you seeing you know Vancouver, B.C. well.
As a kid in the 1960's I visited my aunt's home on West Georgia street.
Many good memories going to the ocean a block away in Stanley Park. Buying candy at the Chevron gass station. And eating my first restaurant meal at the White Spot right next door.
Now jump ahead 50 years on my last visit to Vancouver. In 2017 that White Spot restaurant and half acre of land sold to a Hong Kong company for a North American real estate record $245 million.
My relatives left the city years ago not being able to afford living there thanks to the Chinese money laundering and drug money.

Here's a picture from better times in 1966 about the time I visited. The first driveway to the right is my Aunt's house, the White Spot next door.
1222-white-spot-jpg.jpg

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 187730
That was a long time, now that I think about it...it was the 2100's we were beating. Didn't have to pull the 80's ring to beat the newer 90.

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not really, but need can be defined a couple different ways. If Stihl has an 80cc saw then there will be those who feel Husky needs to respond with one of their own.

This exercise does raise a few questions though. How would that impact the sales of the 572? Or the predicted 592? And how much real performance would be gained by that 2mm bore increase? And at what price?

I think there would be nice gains from the larger piston and cylinder for almost no extra weight and husky should market it that way. They should wait till they sold a ton of 572's over the next two years then come out with the 580 and give everyone a reason to replace there 572 as soon as they can justify it. car market and electronics market used to work the same way always have something better coming out to get the consumer to buy again/trade in as soon as possible

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really 70cc and 90cc saws could be replaced buy one strong 80cc that weighs the same as a light 70cc saw :D.[emoji111]
Fixed it :rolleyes:.
Someone should just make an aftermarket cylinder for them to boost it to 80 or more!
Why wait on the original manufacture to pull the trigger, every other power sports market does it, sure guys would buy one if it was well done.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

With the 462 at such a light weight, and the 572 bottom end being over built as such...it would make sense for husky to engineer cylinder to work with their existing 572 chassis within the 80cc range to justify its weight difference and eliminate the 390 or continuation of said model size. Then it could be competitive.

We know for fact the price difference between the brands per saw size is...not small. With product quality being stepped up they have a sizable market to seize.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the 462 at such a light weight, and the 572 bottom end being over built as such...it would make sense for husky to engineer cylinder to work with their existing 572 chassis within the 80cc range to justify its weight difference and eliminate the 390 or continuation of said model size. Then it could be competitive.

We know for fact the price difference between the brands per saw size is...not small. With product quality being stepped up they have a sizable market to seize.
I think the heavier bottom in the 572 with the lighter smaller bore piston is to alleviate the bearing problems in the 372 xtorq. I have my doubts that they'll build one with a heavier piston and relive those problems again

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d still buy the 572 over the 462 despite it weighing marginally more. It’s a better all around package with better fuel economy and its smoother to run. It has enough power that if I need more... I just step up to a 90cc saw. Just my opinion. Not to mention the 572 is usually cheaper to buy than the other options in the class.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the heavier bottom in the 572 with the lighter smaller bore piston is to alleviate the bearing problems in the 372 xtorq. I have my doubts that they'll build one with a heavier piston and relive those problems again

How many grams do you think a 2mm bore increase would affect piston weight? That's a real question, I am not being sarcastic. I respect your skill and knowledge

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many grams do you think a 2mm bore increase would affect piston weight? That's a real question, I am not being sarcastic. I respect your skill and knowledge

I can't imagine to much. Isn't the bore 48mm currently with a 39mm stroke?