High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

550xp bog off idle

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
In my experience that hesitation often turns into a bog after awhile. If the saw in under warranty I'd personally would want an AT12 carb. Let us know how the saw runs after you put more time on it.
I have a half dozen spruce to drop today so I will get more run time on it. I will keep you updated with how it’s doing.
The saw is not under warranty any longer so I don’t know exactly what I will do yet if it keeps acting up.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn’t realize you need a dealer login to use that tool. Thank God I didn’t lose $100 buying one. Sure would be nice if they made a version that could do all or most of what the dealer does for regular users and independent shops. Maybe one day, but I’m not holding my breath.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Its just not in the manufacturers interest to make the tech readily available to the public ...saw enthusiasts included !
This is nothing new with most tech , from the crude attempts ( epa driven in the US) with carb limiters needing a dealer tool ( we know there are ways round some of those) to adjust them, to the A/T software that is not available (mostly) bar to the dealer network. Control of the product, feedback from the product, plus financial business sense for a return of the investment.
You often find with dealer software and systems in many situations ( motor trade...etc) , that there is guidance through the procedures that are carried out. It takes you through the procedure and flags up the solutions along with tech bulletins via the dealer portal.
This is the way many things are, and will as likely continue to progress ....IMO

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just got done dropping and cutting up 6 spruce from 12”-16” dbh. Saw is still running a lot better than before the updates but it did bog one time for a couple slaps of the throttle. It still has the hesitation about 50% of the time if allowed to idle longer than 30 seconds.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got done dropping and cutting up 6 spruce from 12”-16” dbh. Saw is still running a lot better than before the updates but it did bog one time for a couple slaps of the throttle. It still has the hesitation about 50% of the time if allowed to idle longer than 30 seconds.
That's exactly how my saw behaved with the AT 1A carb. I tried opening ub the bleed screw, lowering the pop off pressure, and I notched butterfly without any positive results. A new AT12 carburetor and the saw runs exceptionally well now.

Huntaholic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
$70 bucks is in fact what the local dealer charges to hook a saw up to the computer. I asked! And this dealer normally gives me as good of or a better deal on things than what I can find them myself on the internet. The one AT saw I own has been flawless, I will give husky that, but when it does give problems it will either get junked or converted to a non AT saw.

Reedo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
$70 bucks is in fact what the local dealer charges to hook a saw up to the computer. I asked! And this dealer normally gives me as good of or a better deal on things than what I can find them myself on the internet. The one AT saw I own has been flawless, I will give husky that, but when it does give problems it will either get junked or converted to a non AT saw.
Man that’s terrible. My dealer I just visited was commenting on how others charge for the 5 minutes it takes and couldn’t believe how they would do that. He was asking questions of the tech over the phone as he was doing it and dealing with other customers and it literally took 10 minutes.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's exactly how my saw behaved ... A new AT12 carburetor and the saw runs exceptionally well now.

Hey Andy,
I feel the same way as you (or the guy in the video), about how you can plug your phone into your car and read the codes, but Stihl and Husqvarna are keeping reading anything off of, or updating firmware onto, their saws as a dealer only service. It's ridiculous in my mind! Especially if it would cost $70. The 550XP came out back in 2012, numerous product changes and part upgrades, its gone through 4 carbs, and they want us to pay to fix a problem with their faulty product that might be fixed by a software update.

I have a bluetooth dongle I put into the OBDII port of my car and my phone can reset the service lights when I change the oil, I can diagnose the check-engine light error, I can even change all kinds of settings. Also, I can update the software on my GoPro online, I don't need to go to BestBuy and pay the Geek Squad to do it for me. I can upgrade the operating system on my phone, I don't need to go into an Apple store and pay the Genius Bench to do it for me. Even my TV updates its firmware every so often, automatically.

I can tell you exactly why these two companies are keeping it a closed system - to support their dealer network service departments. What's worse, Stihl isn't even allowed to sell parts online! We're 2 decades into the 21st century and they still want you to go drive into town (or the next town over) to ask someone else to order a part that they don't stock for you.

Autotune and Mtronic are cool, taking the responsibility of tuning a carb off your hands, but there is definitely a dark side to being dependent on a someone else to help you fix your carb when it doesn't work right.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes that's my video. Companies can only get by with these tactics in our day in age for so long, before people move to a different brand. If Echo is smart they will have a simple way to connect and update their system, when this happens everyone else will be forced to fallow. Problem is right now the big two don't see any other brand as a threat, big mistake IMHO.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont think its possible to flash the coil, doubt the coil send necessary information to the AT program so its usuable for flashing the carb to the right coil version.
The way the system working at the moment you have to plugin the cable to a specific cable on the carb.
As long their customers have to make sure the coil is the right one its doomed to fail when their customers flashing the carb software to the newest version by themself.

I do agree the software & cable should follow a new saw, but the program who comes with the saw should be a light version, ie, you can't flash or delete the AT's firmware and its log.
Just think about that scenario when their customer has flashed the carb, reset the log, and so on, gone be funny for a dealer to fill out waranty papers when half the info is gone.

If a customer prepared the saw for a AT update job, I'll say its a 10 min job for the dealer, 15-20$ bill probleby, for a pro living by his saw that cost is cheap.

While I do understand the frustration for people not being able to do the work ourselves, I do understand Husqvarna choice in this case.

I wouldnt be surprised if there comes a better and more inteligence AT system the day we see 650, that said, I doubt they're going to open up the system for everyone. I do see a one stick cable for the AT work in the future though.
If a 650 has a system where the AT log get automatically stored for later, maybe they're going to open up the program for everyone if the coil & carb can comunicate together when we're flashing a carb.

Huntaholic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ive learned a TON of info reading this thread. For example, keeping the same coil with the same carb. I wouldn't have ever thought about that being an issue! Ive got 4 562s that need tearing down, repairing and replacing, and fixing back. The one I started on Saturday has the EL46 carb so Im going to bucket it for now and move on to one with the EL48. I spoke to my dealer again Saturday, only this time I got lucky and talked to the mechanic that's usually in the back. He said he had only worked on one of these 562s and it had went lean and fried the top end, same issue the ones I have appear to be victims of. When I told him what the counter said it costed to hook one up he couldn't believe it. He gave me the slight head shake no and the bring it around back to me motion. I said "so bypass the counter?" he nodded yes so Im hopeful to be able to avoid that 70 buck charge up front! I think he is interested in seeing how these saws tick as much as I am!

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The connection cable is literally 60 seconds to get to.
3 buckles snap off, top cover is removed, cable is removed from plug and connected with cable. Ever since the first AT1 there has been an additional cable that is easier to connect to than the one that runs to the coil.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a Stihlhead for a reason....
if just one of them could make it right Randy.

If we compare prices on a pro saw, 2005 vs 2018, they have not gone up much in price compared against how the wages has gone up, both brands seems to have a good profit on their pro lineup nowadays.

It wasnt uncommon that an 254xpg got x number pistons through its life, they ran them until the nikasil was worn out, lets try to do the same with an 550 xpg :D I bet a 550 bottom part won't last 1/3 of those hours.

I wished Stihl was better, I got a few friends working full time cleaning smal trees underneath high voltage lines, they all use 201 mtronic, sad thing is that they say 1 out of 3 is a good runner.

It's probleby what it is, both brand stuff their pro saws full of china dong parts.