357XP: First Time Porting

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
9:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really good info piling in here guys....

I too have wondered about the 174/175 and 198/199 carbs.

My 357 made in '05 has the 199 carb. My 359 was made in '02 but did not have the carb when I bought it for a project. I snagged a good deal on a 175 with intake elbow, ignition and choke switch and it runs well on my 359 that has a base gasket delete as the only mod. I wish I could say I pulled the 199 carb out of the 57 and compared it side x side with the 175 that went into the 359, but alas, I did not. I was excited to get that 359 back together. About all I can say is that the externals look just like the 199, everything hooks up the same, and the 175 has the accelerator pump.

We never did get a vid of my 57 after my little port job yesterday! LOL! Not much point really though as it seems to run virtually identical to Josh's above. :D

Yeah that's my bad. I grabbed the tach but forgot my phone to get a video. We won't forget when we get the 346's done this weekend:beer-toast1:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Not much mention of the Zama C3-EL 42 used on the last few yrs of production. This carb is the one you find mostly for sale over here. I "Think" its a direct instal onto the cylinder intake mount . Hope so as i may be swapping my Walbro HDA 198 over for elimination feedback at some point.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Simon, that carb is supposed to be a direct bolt-in replacement to the Walbro carbs.

Husky apparently couldn't figure out what Treemonkey found to be the issue with the Walbro carbs, so they just swapped the Zama carbs in. And that is to buy a Walbro k24-hda kit and rebuild the carb. One of the diaphragms was made out of a material that would cause the saw to run erratic. The kit I mention uses a different material for that diaphragm that addresses the issue. He (Treemonkey) also recommends drilling a 1/8" vent hole in the metering diaphragm cover. I experienced the problem with my 199 and did the carb kit and drilled the cover, no problems since.

Don't junk your 198 without first trying the kit and cover vent mod. Of course, if the accel pump has worn out on your carb, there is no fixing it because as of last i knew, Walbro does not offer replacement accel pump parts.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used 191 & 198 carbs, they work fine.
Don, can you remember if 191 had brassplug for acc pump and 198 didnt have the pump?

Not much mention of the Zama C3-EL 42 used on the last few yrs of production. This carb is the one you find mostly for sale over here. I "Think" its a direct instal onto the cylinder intake mount . Hope so as i may be swapping my Walbro HDA 198 over for elimination feedback at some point.
it's a direct bolt on.
I do prefer Walbros over Zama, on 346 and 357

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Simon, that carb is supposed to be a direct bolt-in replacement to the Walbro carbs.

Husky apparently couldn't figure out what Treemonkey found to be the issue with the Walbro carbs, so they just swapped the Zama carbs in. And that is to buy a Walbro k24-hda kit and rebuild the carb. One of the diaphragms was made out of a material that would cause the saw to run erratic. The kit I mention uses a different material for that diaphragm that addresses the issue. He (Treemonkey) also recommends drilling a 1/8" vent hole in the metering diaphragm cover. I experienced the problem with my 199 and did the carb kit and drilled the cover, no problems since.

Don't junk your 198 without first trying the kit and cover vent mod. Of course, if the accel pump has worn out on your carb, there is no fixing it because as of last i knew, Walbro does not offer replacement accel pump parts.
Iv been through the carb (pop off tested) and the K24 kit is in there (the extra hole is there ) and the plastic spacer block should be letting background pressure into the back of the metering diaphragm. I haven't drilled the case as well but i will as a extra thing to try. Im looking for a "datum point" and a new carb may give me a" known " point to base how this "Thing" runs. Thankfully Joe, I believe the 198 is "pesky pump free" unlike the 199.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Don, can you remember if 191 had brassplug for acc pump and 198 didnt have the pump?

it's a direct bolt on.
I do prefer Walbros over Zama, on 346 and 357
I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure the carbs looked the same.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Iv been through the carb (pop off tested) and the K24 kit is in there (the extra hole is there ) and the plastic spacer block should be letting background pressure into the back of the metering diaphragm. I haven't drilled the case as well but i will as a extra thing to try. Im looking for a "datum point" and a new carb may give me a" known " point to base how this "Thing" runs. Thankfully Joe, I believe the 198 is "pesky pump free" unlike the 199.

OK Simon, I couldn't remember if you were savy to the 199 issues and the fix when I posted that, and I now remember you helped me through some OE 346 carb problems awhile back, (HDA 159 with accel pump if I recall). Being that you have done all of the fixes, I would be suspect of the accel pump. But I'm confident you know that already. :)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's another type of splitter, for saws with stuffers. The conventional splitter won't work.

@Mastermind posted some pics of that type of case splitter in another thread recently... I'll see if I can find it.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I now that I have a couple 357 carcasses.
I have a stupid question........

How do you split the case with the stuffers on the crank?

My Husky spliter isn't going to fit down inside.
90c643d5d597c098b8f6a7c4860e03d0.jpg

Zoo City Sawz

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Shoot, I was incorrect as to what he posted.. It was a pic of a crankshaft installer, used to pull the crank into a case half, and then assemble the other half.

But it is a different style puller. I've seen them somewhere.

Shown above! Thanks Termitebuffet. :)