357XP: First Time Porting

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Without warning I got the urge to tear down my 357 and do some grinding yesterday. Over the winter it got a muffler mod and base gasket delete and it responded very well.
So my thinking on porting was not to go extreme, but rather make some small changes that bring port height closer to where they were prior to the gasket delete. Timing before grinding was 108 / 122 / 72.
Not wanting to go crazy in an attempt to learn what this saw likes I put them at 106 / 120 / 73. Since intake gained from the gasket delete I only changed it by 1°. I also widened the exhaust by 1mm and advanced the timing by roughly 1/4 width of the key.
So what ya think? I'd like to get some discussion going on this saw...it's one of my favorites. With any luck I'll get a video up later today running it against my brothers 357 (@RIDE-RED 350r) that has no gasket and a MM. Now that I've done some grinding on mine I'm sure his will be destined for the bench very soon...lol.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys don't compete with each other do you? Porting might be a decent idea if you don't go too far because the engineers do a pretty good job of port size when they build those XP saws. I probably would have started with something like a Wild Thing before I tried it on a 357 though.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I know there's two different cranks for the 357. With different size small end on the rod.
Is there a Aftermarket piston for both or just the newer one?
I don't remember the sizes, but the smaller small end rod was only used in the very early ones, first year or two I believe.

Don't know if there is a AM piston for the small one.

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never seen it mention that the after market piston only fits a certain year saw. Didn't know any difference until my second 357 was not the same.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I know there's two different cranks for the 357. With different size small end on the rod.
Is there a Aftermarket piston for both or just the newer one?
13mm early and 15mm after that and the early piston is Very ! hard to find in UK. I think you could get away with a new 15mm piston and bearing and a 13mm con rod as the bearing will stay where it should in the pistons pin gap . Theory ...not fact !

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't seen any aftermarket options for the piston using the 13mm spacing. I think Husqvarna realized their mistake and tried to get it out of the pipeline as soon as possible, like with the automatic compression release, which killed a lot of saws.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys don't compete with each other do you? Porting might be a decent idea if you don't go too far because the engineers do a pretty good job of port size when they build those XP saws. I probably would have started with something like a Wild Thing before I tried it on a 357 though.

No we don't compete with our builds. We just enjoy doing this stuff together and if one of us starts tinkering the other is sure to follow. And good advice on starting with a wild thing but rest easy I've been inside a couple saws and have learned enough to not go crazy, mainly from the good folks here.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I did mine, I just widen the ports, hogged out the exhaust, matched the lowers, raised the uppers a little & deleted gasket. No degree wheel. 190 psi & very good gains.

I think I remember you saying that a while ago and that's why I stayed mild with the changes I made. Just ran it and it feels great! I'll have videos up later this evening. It held 11.7k in the cut

Last edited:

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Porting might be a decent idea if you don't go too far because the engineers do a pretty good job of port size when they build those XP saws.

That's highly debatable.
They build saws to keep AL Gore happy.... Small ports and restricted flow. They don't care how long it takes to cut your load of wood, they only care about selling saws.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's highly debatable.
They build saws to keep AL Gore happy.... Small ports and restricted flow. They don't care how long it takes to cut your load of wood, they only care about selling saws.
I think Al gore did mention inventing the chainsaw so we have to give him the credit he deserves.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone know the cut off serial number when they changed pistons? That's a serious concern when these things come up for sale quit often. I wouldn't buy the early one.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome! I just ran my 562 for the first time today after taking the dremel to it. First time porting any 2stroke. I'll make a new thread so as not to jack yours up

Looking forward to reading about what you did. My 357 is only the second saw I've messed with as far as porting. The first one I did was a 372xp x-torq and it runs like a scalded dog.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading about what you did. My 357 is only the second saw I've messed with as far as porting. The first one I did was a 372xp x-torq and it runs like a scalded dog.

Yes, yes it surely does!!

We do compete a little bit, but no more than friendly brotherly ribbing. We love hanging out together and doing things like this.... Saws, firearms, boats, wheelers, camping on Alger Island.... our families are seen together quite a bit..

Just got home from Dad's, video of your saw uploading now... Will post a link when it's finished...