200T loops for a friend

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last year I got laid up for a while with 3 major hospital visits and recuperation from surgery. My next door neighbor and his wife cut 5 loads of wood and came over and mowed my lawn three times - I never asked him to do it, he just showed up with the wood and mower. Good neighbors like that don't come often.

Something you should know about the bloke, he lost his right arm at the shoulder over 40 years ago in a felling accident. With his one arm, he's used an old 020 for most of his life and I decided to get him a newer 200T and have Randy mod it with a longer 14" light bar.

It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but Randy tends to get behind in his work. It was about Christmas that his wife was diagnosed with incurable cancer. I mentioned it to Randy and he put a priority on getting the saw finished and then sent it Express Mail. It arrived two days before she went into palliative care.

He came over yesterday and we cut some wood I had. He's over the moon with the saw - it is the first time I've seen him smile in a couple of months.

Anyway, a couple of blokes on the forum have volunteered to send him some loops of chain for the new saw. Used loops work just fine. If you have any loops of PS chain, 50 drivelinks, that will fit his 14" bar that are just laying around, I'll pay for the postage if you send them to him.

I think it would be cool if he started getting some loops of chain from all sorts of places from people he's never met. I expect his wife will die within the next few days, so he's going to be going through some rough times and the gifts of chain will help to distract him from his grief.

His address is:

Alan Latamore
24 Hill Street
Comboyne, NSW
Australia

Just contact me via PM and let me know what it costs.

Thanks
Terry

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really nice of you to modd a 200t for your neighbour like that. It sounds like you have the relationship that most would envy to have with a neighbor. If he'll cop semi chisel carlton N1/GB(same chain) loops I can help l may have a loop of new Stihl PS. Having random guys from far places bombarding you with chainsaw stuff is something we all occaisionally dream of. That would be kinda cool. Great idea!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he'll cop semi chisel carlton N1/GB(same chain) loops I can help l may have a loop of new Stihl PS.

Just any chain, like I said an old loop will do. He ran his old loops of the 1/4" chain on the 020 down to thin cutters that looked like they should have broken off. A chain with still half the life in it will go a long way.

Yeah, a chainsaw sticker would be welcomed. He had to have me interpret Randy's sticker. "What, is that a monkey with a gun?" - "Yeah, and he's wearing a suit too." - "Weird looking sticker, but the saw sure goes."

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not framiliar with stihls letering on chain. I have new loops of 3/8 .050 x 60dl oregon lgx if he can use it after being shortened. Also lots of takeoff 3/8 lp x 50-72 dl. I guess the ps is probably for a 200t is probably lp 3/8 x .043 so lmk if its useable to him.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bugger if I know. When he came over with the saw, it was the first time I ever ran a top handle (bloody good little saw). Maybe some of the more experienced blokes would have an idea.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PS3 is pretty nice stuff too. It has minor league safety features (raker humps). May be a little safer for one arm sawing?

My prayers are up for your friend and his wife. Very nice of Terry to try and lighten his burden of grief.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am trying to pay it forward from a deal with @Dub11 i had recently. I have several loops of 3/8 .050 52 and 50dl used chains. Some of it is safty chain but lots of life in all of them. None of it is stihl chain tho. Please let me know if he will use it even though its not stihl brand chain. Its mostly carlton oregon and GB chain. I will take some pics tonight and attach them to this thread. Just lmk if you still want me to send them out from a saw nut in Michigan.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am trying to pay it forward from a deal with @Dub11 i had recently. I have several loops of 3/8 .050 52 and 50dl used chains. Some of it is safty chain but lots of life in all of them. None of it is stihl chain tho. Please let me know if he will use it even though its not stihl brand chain. Its mostly carlton oregon and GB chain. I will take some pics tonight and attach them to this thread. Just lmk if you still want me to send them out from a saw nut in Michigan.
Anything 3/8 LP .050 x 50 DL should work on the 200T (14")

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything 3/8 LP .050x 50 DL should work on the 200T (14")

That sums it up, thanks. He'll use whatever shows up. Al is the kind of guy that 're-cycles' just about everything. He has this shed with (last count) 108 chainsaws. Most are old Macs and Stihls, but he has a number of two-man saws. He also restores tractors. He has a well known collection of old tractors here in Oz. Fascinating collection.

If you guys are like me, then at some point when you're working on an engine you wish you had a third hand - how he manages to do it all with just one hand amazes me.

By the way, I'm sending Randy a box of Australian cookies and candy to munch on while he's working on saws. I'll see if I can come up with something for the guys that send Al a chain.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will see if I can scare up a few from a local chain shop. Might not be Stihl branded chain, most likely Oregon or Carlton. Unless he has a used loop or two of the Stihl stuff. May have 2-3 sharpenings left, or be a brand new chain.

3/8" LP .050 gauge 50 dl

Will write it down.