044/46 Hybrid Build

72thing

Chain dulling master
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've already shared this with doc, but figured I'd tell y'all my results...
I've only had time to run one tank thru it on Sunday, but it's a stout saw.

Ran a few cuts thru my red oak test log, which is approx 3' tall with the sides slabbed so it's same thickness as bar length. It's dried out and fairly hard, making for a tough cut. Before time was 1:12, after was 1:00. I figured 12 seconds faster is a significant difference. It was all done with the same 28" bar, round filed 3/8 skip tooth chain, and 7 pin rim.
I feel like it would be even faster with full comp chain (I don't have any at the moment) or the with rakers taken down some.

All in all, I'm very impressed. I set it at 14800 and it holds the tune great, four strokes when revved, and cleans up in the cut.
I agree with doc that there's more RPM to be had, but I'll get it broken in then see how I feel. I think at least another 1000 RPM is realistic, but I want to leave some margin of error...

I used @huskihl 's method to mod the oiler (I had already fooled with it a couple years ago following a thread on AS)
But it really came alive with Kevin's instructions. Thanks, bud.

I just put on a 32" Tsumura lightweight bar and a fresh loop of chain, so it's ready to get after some more oak very soon.

Last edited: