High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Yet Another 044 hybrid project

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
8:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The INL was widened to about 32mm and lowered floor to 79-80. As said I had a lot of work with various files and burrs and JB weld to get the entry bore to be like a stock one.
20220903_135551.jpg
Check out the filling at the roof:-
20220903_135521.jpg
I mainly just cleaned the transfers, and flared the lead-in on the INL side of the transfer lowers. Fingers crossed that the damn thing runs!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf256

Hi mate,

TBH I've already done ahead and done the porting I wanted to do. So any measurements won't really be useful now. You're dead right with your theory re. short piston and lower exhaust height. These hyway kits are truly horrid IMHO. I had to do a lot of work just to get started, e.g. the exhaust flange was gross - most of my filing and grinding was in order to make this properly match a stihl EXH gasket!

The INL carb side was also rubbish. I needed to fill the top and file the bottom of the entry bore. I got around to doing some piccies. I've left the EXH opening at 98-99 but lowered (matches crown at BDC, about a 0.5mm freeport at TDC) and widened to 33mm.

View attachment 347777
View attachment 347778
sorry I'm utterly crap doing piccies with this stupid new phone that I had to buy to make my banking app work :(
Gotta chamfer them ports.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gotta chamfer them ports.
Don't worry. They are chamfered really well and very smooth on the rings.? I have vivid memories of a Yam 175MX bike I ported 35 year ago. Made the EXH too wide..... no about of chamferring would stop it eating rings every 400 miles. Bloody shame, it went like stink!

Nearly got the thing back together today. Got the carb + airbox + chainbrake left. I also gotta counter sink the back of PTO cover bar stud holes in order to receive the easy to fit studs it now wears.

I test cranked it today. The compression is scary..... I may need to fit the decomp valve, the problem is, my shroud (which is an 044 one) doesn't seem to have a corresponding hole. Since I'll struggle to depress this using telekinesis, I guess I'll need to drill a hole out - any of you guys encounter this issue? Where to drill the hole in relation to, for example, the black stripe on the covers side and roof.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
From some of the pictures in this post it looks as if in order to drill my shroud to place the decomp valve access hole, I need to drill perhaps inline with the black stripe

https://opeforum.com/threads/another-hybrid-build.24368/#post-1247167

but maybe slightly forward.....and possibly central along the lateral axis of the saw. @drf256 would you (or anyone else for that matter) be able to confirm if you can recollect the orientation?

thanks Matt