Stihl 036/044 Hybrid Build

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounded to me like it was just idling a little bit high. It wasn't pinging after the long cut
I actually cut it off at the end before it returned to idle fully. It takes a little longer than any others I have to settle back down to idle, I think it’s the carb. I had some issues with the one drf gave me(needs a good cleaning) and threw a Chinese one on just to get it running for the ct gtg. The oem carb went back down to idle normally. I’ll clean the oem one and get it back on

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s amazing how fubared some of the tree guys saws are. You’d think they’d take a little more pride in there equipment. I guess if the workers don’t pay for it... they don’t care about it.

It’s weird, the guys were using expensive saws with dull chains but brought 6x1 gal cans of VP premixed fuel. I’m sure that expensive fuel costs more than the chains to get sharpened. I think his guys must have straight gassed a whole batch of saws at once to justify using canned premix

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not much else, still runs great. Swapped an oem carb on and it runs and idles much better.
It’s my favorite go to saw i grab for medium sized stuff. It feels much lighter than a 044 but has noticeably more power than an 036.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not much else, still runs great. Swapped an oem carb on and it runs and idles much better.
It’s my favorite go to saw i grab for medium sized stuff. It feels much lighter than a 044 but has noticeably more power than an 036.
You making it to the GTG this year Jeremy?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am building an 036 here on the bench right now and must admit your build intrigues me.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it’s a Big a or kit for the 036.......right Jimmy?
Little confused but it's a crushed OEM 036 and some nice clean 036 cases I found...no flippy caps. Building it all OEM...may not even muffler mod it.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a chance to put a few more hours in today and some Chinese plastics I ordered came in. Some trimming was needed and didn’t want to ruin the stock covers so I used few cheap huztl covers. Added the stud to the top of the cylinder so the top cover attaches and reattached the handle.
The stock filter won’t work with the 044 carb, so the idea was to add 044 parts and hd2 filter to the saw. The saw came with a broken and cracked filter cover so I started by cutting that up. Then cut the 044 filter base to fit inside.

View attachment 117621
View attachment 117622
Needed to trim the outer 044 filter cover in a few spots but it fit fine
View attachment 117623

If I get a chance I’ll try to start it later
:b1:

Have you weighed that thing? I am curious if it is any lighter than a non HD 044.

168829658.gK6d2DD5.044_half_wrap.JPG

Aciera

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Little confused but it's a crushed OEM 036 and some nice clean 036 cases I found...no flippy caps. Building it all OEM...may not even muffler mod it.
Is this done with a 10mm 044 piston?

Or a Gravely piston?

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You making it to the GTG this year Jeremy?

I’m going to try to make it again. for some reason I’m not getting notifications to my email for replies to this thread. Sorry for the late response.
Have you weighed that thing? I am curious if it is any lighter than a non HD 044.

It should be just about the same weight as an 036. I can’t imagine the slightly larger cylinder and piston weigh much.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m going to try to make it again. for some reason I’m not getting notifications to my email for replies to this thread. Sorry for the late response.

It should be just about the same weight as an 036. I can’t imagine the slightly larger cylinder and piston weigh much.

An 036 doesn't have an HD filter. That adds over half a pound to the 044 when added. I'm just curious.
In other words, it seems like a lot of effort to end up with something that may be less powerful and reliable than a bone stock non HD 044, that weighs the same, and cost a whole lot more in time, effort, and money. Just sayin...

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant imagine that it weighs the same as the 044? I could be wrong but I have both saws and there's at the very least a substantial size difference. Just like the Swedish people are always touting, " it feels NIMBLE " because I know I'm always doing parkour and circus do'lay stuff with my running chainsaws.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Was going to ask the same thing.

I wanted to compare it to a 462 though. To me the 462 doesnt seem that much heavier or harder to handle than a 261 but has WAY more woopow. I end up reaching for my 462 more than any other saw it seems but I have no 60cc saws.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It weighs less than my 044. I would assume it’s a few oz heavier than a stock 036. It’s actually my favorite saw. It always starts right up. I only built it to just do it for fun. I didn’t know if it could be done. No other reason. I had a Bottom end with a bad crank. So I built it with a Chinese crank and bearings. Piston/cylinder and milling I got from mattyo
Just something fun to play around with. I think that’s why most of us are here.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It weighs less than my 044. I would assume it’s a few oz heavier than a stock 036. It’s actually my favorite saw. It always starts right up. I only built it to just do it for fun. I didn’t know if it could be done. No other reason. I had a Bottom end with a bad crank. So I built it with a Chinese crank and bearings. Piston/cylinder and milling I got from mattyo
Just something fun to play around with. I think that’s why most of us are here.

Thanks for sharing the build. I'd love to tinker with this stuff too but I have too many other irons in the fire. Cool build for sure.