davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whoops! Kiss your privacy goodbye lol. You'll be right up there with the ferrous fole! Fwiw, I work for a tree company and we may be adopting your technique soon. I mean, who wants to chip all that brush anyway?
There are more vids of the “method” on my channel.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh I'm tuned in! I wonder if we should go to g rated sidewalls on the trailer tires?
So....that's a rabbit hole...my day job is a big machine and welding shop where we fix trailers a lot, among many other things. Mainly axles. Tires absob shock. Maybe post some pics of the frame and undercarriage of your trailer. Trying to determine how much tree a trailer can take is very seat of the pants based on experience, maybe more with trailers than trees. My Miller tilt bed trailer is a heavy duty equipment trailer with an 8" frame, IIRC and the Carson is lighter duty 6", but reinforced axles. It could use heavier duty axles and suspension really. Both steel decks. E tires. Wouldn't do nearly as big of a tree on the carson as the miller. The miller has a hydraulic cylinder turned into a shock absorber for the tilt which helps. I also stack limbs strategically to crush for cushion.

A big part of it too is that if I break my trailer I can fix it, on site if I have to. Learning the hard way could be a nightmare.
The other thing to consider is that your tongue weight will be all wrong.

I have my winch in my truck and forklifts at my shop to handle stuff.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So....that's a rabbit hole...my day job is a big machine and welding shop where we fix trailers a lot, among many other things. Mainly axles. Tires absob shock. Maybe post some pics of the frame and undercarriage of your trailer. Trying to determine how much tree a trailer can take is very seat of the pants based on experience, maybe more with trailers than trees. My Miller tilt bed trailer is a heavy duty equipment trailer with an 8" frame, IIRC and the Carson is lighter duty 6", but reinforced axles. It could use heavier duty axles and suspension really. Both steel decks. E tires. Wouldn't do nearly as big of a tree on the carson as the miller. The miller has a hydraulic cylinder turned into a shock absorber for the tilt which helps. I also stack limbs strategically to crush for cushion.

A big part of it too is that if I break my trailer I can fix it, on site if I have to. Learning the hard way could be a nightmare.
Come on we need some YouTube drama dammit

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most modern trailers and mainly their suspension and running gear are pretty cheap junk.

An engineer with the ability to calculate tree weight, falling speed, and resulting kinetic energy, along with reverse engineering what the trailer could take could get in the neighborhood. I just stay on the safe side.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have my winch in my truck and forklifts at my shop to handle stuff.
We have a big ass pj, twin axle dump with dexter cantilever axles. We haul log loads, our bobcat t595, sometimes both at the same time 🤣🤣
It's steel with a massive ibeam frame. I think it weighs 7k lbs. It has the solid steel wheels too, not stamped. It's a big *b-word. Oh.... What's tongue load? 🤣😂🤣😂

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a big ass pj, twin axle dump with dexter cantilever axles. We haul log loads, our bobcat t595, sometimes both at the same time 🤣🤣
It's steel with a massive ibeam frame. I think it weighs 7k lbs. It has the solid steel wheels too, not stamped. It's a big *b-word. Oh.... What's tongue load? 🤣😂🤣😂
Well get after it then!

Gooseneck?

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Smashing the truck two ways and driving away
Oh. That’s not my story, a guy I know went north to fall redwoods. Told them he could fall trees with the best of them, proceeded to lose a smaller tree over backwards across his pickup. Got the loader up there and they took it off. He set up on the tree next to the last one and cut his hinge off, bang. Right across his truck again, front to back. Asks the loader operator to take it off and they told him no. Get the fûck outta here. He had to cut off the ends of the log and drive his pickup into town with a section of log caved in to his cab.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh. That’s not my story, a guy I know went north to fall redwoods. Told them he could fall trees with the best of them, proceeded to lose a smaller tree over backwards across his pickup. Got the loader up there and they took it off. He set up on the tree next to the last one and cut his hinge off, bang. Right across his truck again, front to back. Asks the loader operator to take it off and they told him no. Get the fûck outta here. He had to cut off the ends of the log and drive his pickup into town with a section of log caved in to his cab.
That’s good stuff right there 🤣