Winter's over.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really just one snowblower thread? Always thought they were a good fit with the whole wood heat routine. Think of the Husky vs stihl type debates we could have with Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity. šŸ¤”

Either way, I drained my Ariens out and have officially declared the end of winter. Gas went right into the log splitter.

20230321_114613.jpg

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where are you located? I do realize with my own situation that there's still time for that to blow up in my face. Supposed to drop down to 24 degrees tonight.

But the 2 or 3 big storms that were hyped up this year all ended up as flops. The the most recent "16-24 incher" ended up a 3" joke.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weā€™ve been getting those overhyped ā€œwinter storm warningsā€
ā€œYouā€™re all gonna die!ā€ And then itā€™s nothing special. Or nothing close to the predicted doom.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really just one snowblower thread? Always thought they were a good fit with the whole wood heat routine. Think of the Husky vs stihl type debates we could have with Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity. šŸ¤”

Either way, I drained my Ariens out and have officially declared the end of winter. Gas went right into the log splitter.

View attachment 371644
They actually tried to sell a couple of those at the local rural king last year. I laughed when I saw them by the door as you entered the store. I assume they sent them at least to a store up on the plateau. I used to have an ariens when I lived in the north. One of the reasons I moved.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
28 Deluxe is waiting on Fridays snow 6-8" :rolleyes: , I believe we are now sitting at the 9th snowiest winter on record but we finally broke the 140continueous days of 1" or more snow on the ground a couple of days ago, so spring is on the way.;):p

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine's in the warm garage ready as well, looks like I'll be a needing it. Planned a snowmobile ride for Friday, last day the trails are open in Vilas county.

March 31st was always a depressing day, when I lived back there. One last time to get out and scratch the itch and ride, before the trails closed.

Don't really have that problem out here thou, as long as there is 10 inches of ground coverage snow the forest service, keeps the riding areas open.

In 2017 the one area I ride at got a 20" dumping on June 22nd, there was a bunch of us bozo's out that weekend. It was really warm thou, lot of moisture in it, so it was like concrete, not powder, and it packed almost right away. Still fun to ride in late June thou. I know some guys out here that ride into July.

IMG_20210417_152812.jpgIMG_20210430_140009.jpg

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
March 31st was always a depressing day, when I lived back there. One last time to get out and scratch the itch and ride, before the trails closed.

Don't really have that problem out here thou, as long as there is 10 inches of ground coverage snow the forest service, keeps the riding areas open.

In 2017 the one area I ride at got a 20" dumping on June 22nd, there was a bunch of us bozo's out that weekend. It was really warm thou, lot of moisture in it, so it was like concrete, not powder, and it packed almost right away. Still fun to ride in late June thou. I know some guys out here that ride into July.

View attachment 371771View attachment 371772
IMG_20230315_140608832.jpg
Probably exercise the gaskets in the ol' T'nT tomorrow.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 371773
Probably exercise the gaskets in the ol' T'nT tomorrow.

My parents had a few TnT's when we were kids, I think theirs were 1974's thou. Yours looks a few years newer then the ones we had.

Some place buried in a box of old pictures, I have a few pictures of 3 of us kids on one TnT on club trail ride we did a few times per winter. My older brother at the handle bars, sister in the middle, me on the back.

I'm pretty sure that was the year the adults went out for midnight trail ride, and everyone was getting rowdy (according to what us kids heard the next day) my mom may or may not have, had one too many toddies at their last stop, and she ran over a guy from the club, broke his leg. That was the last time my mom ever went riding. From the story my mom tells, a few sleds broke down, a few (her included) back tracked to find the rest of the group, she came around a corner hauling at a good clip, and there he was standing on the trail, and she hit him. It spooked her enough she never rode her sled again.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My parents had a few TnT's when we were kids, I think theirs were 1974's thou. Yours looks a few years newer then the ones we had.

Some place buried in a box of old pictures, I have a few pictures of 3 of us kids on one TnT on club trail ride we did a few times per winter. My older brother at the handle bars, sister in the middle, me on the back.

I'm pretty sure that was the year the adults went out for midnight trail ride, and everyone was getting rowdy (according to what us kids heard the next day) my mom may or may not have, had one too many toddies at their last stop, and she ran over a guy from the club, broke his leg. That was the last time my mom ever went riding. From the story my mom tells, a few sleds broke down, a few (her included) back tracked to find the rest of the group, she came around a corner hauling at a good clip, and there he was standing on the trail, and she hit him. It spooked her enough she never rode her sled again.

1978, the last year for the T'nT's, the Blizzard's followed after that.
Back before things got organized, folks would make their own trails and some found it easy to run the train tracks. My folks got talked into this one time and had to ditch the sleds over the bank just prior to a trestle and got cursed by the engineer. Not long after that the one fella drove straight into a train at night somehow, most likely been drinking and no one ever rode the rails again. Otherwise lots of good times riding them old sleds.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back before things got organized, folks would make their own trails and some found it easy to run the train tracks. My folks got talked into this one time and had to ditch the sleds over the bank just prior to a trestle and got cursed by the engineer. Not long after that the one fella drove straight into a train at night somehow, most likely been drinking and no one ever rode the rails again. Otherwise lots of good times riding them old sleds.
My buddies Grandpa still remembers getting a group together and pulling an old mattress box spring behind a sled to groom the trail! I thank all those old timers that organized enough and rallied to get landowners to provide the trails we have now.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mid to late 70s most of Iron Co was nothing more than running the ditches along 47, 51 and 182 and being happy if someone happened to break trail ahead of you.:risas3: