GoldMember
Local time
12:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Addicted?
Pfffft . . . .

Honestly, doesn't everyone processing 10cubic meters of firewood logs need 15 saws?
You dull a chain and You swap saws right?!
Then You have a year to get those chains sharpened for the next log pile.

4 large frame and 5 9010 Dolmar's accompanied by merely a couple tiny toy saws - where is the addiction in that?
Seriously!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to worry about amassing a bunch of saws requiring a ton of money .If people find out you collect them you'll be up to your hip pockets in free ones--and blowers --and weed wackers . You'll get tired of tripping over them .

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to worry about amassing a bunch of saws requiring a ton of money .If people find out you collect them you'll be up to your hip pockets in free ones--and blowers --and weed wackers . You'll get tired of tripping over them .
Interesting to say the least. A guy just asked me for a saw that had specs that none of mine did -- (1) cheap, (2) 20" bar, (3) 60 or more cc, (4) dependable, (4) runs flawlessly, and (5) preferably, a Stihl.

I have a nice collection, but I had none to offer him that met all those criteria.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember when I bought my first big saw for milling, a 395 and my wife (girlfriend at the time) was excited for me. She thought it was pretty impressive, I suppose thats as far as she thought id take it.
Bought another new one almost a year later, she was interested slightly no biggy. Then six months later bought another and had to hide it from her when she was away on a vacation... i told her 3 weeks after she got back and she said “another chainsaw??!!??”.
Thats when I knew i had a problem lmao

finished tech college 3rd year decided to award myself another.. lol i never told her about it. I was trying to fill the 50-70cc gap i kept telling myself...

bought another 3 months ago for getting my ticket, that was what i said would be my final purchase..
Ya right!

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One way that I give myself permission to continue owning/buying saws is that I know I can get my money back on most of them.

Can't say that for many fun life expenses.
I cant say that now, but i am getting better at making live edge cuts. Just need to get better at planing and jointery and i can start making some tables with the planks i have now...

What do you do to get your money back?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree there is a strong psychological component to it. I enjoy taking care of machines and watching them run, to me they are more than a means to do a job. They come to life, and respond to your efforts to take care of them much like a farmer's crops or livestock. I also enjoy keeping these machines running and in use long after most of their contemporaries bit the dust. A means of defying our throwaway consumer habits.

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find this thread interesting. Is there a "bent of mind" that runs through everyone that gets this addiction because its real. I got my first saw ( a solo 651 special I think it was ) simply to heat my house and now I cant stop buying and selling them

Last edited:

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant say that now, but i am getting better at making live edge cuts. Just need to get better at planing and jointery and i can start making some tables with the planks i have now...

What do you do to get your money back?

Little bit of firewood, more for fun than money.

I meant more than most saws purchased at a reasonable cost can be resold for the same money, no huge money lost.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really don't see a problem.
I only have three here ...oh and a few over there...and some up there...almost forgot about the ones down there...chit I think I forgot about those in there....

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Least expensive fun you can have with anything involving motors/engines. Old saws are generally VERY inexpensive. Only time they cost money is when we all sell them to ourselves. You know, "hobby arena" pricing is always more expensive than real world values. To most people an old saw is just clutter in the garage.

Easy to work on, and if you build your own, they cost pennies.

They don't take up a lot of room. Couple dozen saws on a shelf are hardly in the way.

About the only motor hobby that returns a useful byproduct; the firewood that most of us heat our homes with. $2000 for nicer rims and tires on the pick up probably only results in worse fuel mileage.

Then there's this reasoning: As long as long as you spend less on saws than you are saving on heat, this is a hobby that really doesn't cost anything at all. "No I don't need another saw, but you don't need another pair of shoes either." Or use the line that they always use: "It's not for me, it's for the house."

Disclaimer: I'm not a licensed marriage counselor. :)

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Least expensive fun you can have with anything involving motors/engines. Old saws are generally VERY inexpensive. Only time they cost money is when we all sell them to ourselves. You know, "hobby arena" pricing is always more expensive than real world values. To most people an old saw is just clutter in the garage.

Easy to work on, and if you build your own, they cost pennies.

They don't take up a lot of room. Couple dozen saws on a shelf are hardly in the way.

About the only motor hobby that returns a useful byproduct; the firewood that most of us heat our homes with. $2000 for nicer rims and tires on the pick up probably only results in worse fuel mileage.

Then there's this reasoning: As long as long as you spend less on saws than you are saving on heat, this is a hobby that really doesn't cost anything at all. "No I don't need another saw, but you don't need another pair of shoes either." Or use the line that they always use: "It's not for me, it's for the house."

Disclaimer: I'm not a licensed marriage counselor. :)
Sounds like a pitch you may have made in front of a marriage councillor ?? ;)

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in the same boat as you as far as working on them and such. If I could just let them go... Must have, the precious!
I'm down to my 064 and my ms460 those two Saw's are all I'll ever need I don't clime tree's so I don't need anything smaller than the ms460 it's small enough to lim when the tree is laying down.:D

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The broken ones give you something to do in your free time. After you get them all fixed up, hearing that rumble of a 2 stroke engine has a sensation that I can’t describe, specifically with the old ones.
Hearing a saw that’s been modified in any way, whether it’s the pop-pop-pop sound of a nice muffler mod, or that indescribable tone of a ported saw, it all just sounds so great.
But then again, any saw sounds nice, as long as they’ve got a nice open muffler ;).

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly that's why I'm thinning the herd getting tired of people leaving there stuff with me after I fix them for a month then show up to get them when they need it thanks but no thanks if I call you and tell you it's fixed that means come and get it I'm not storing you stuff for free get it out of here but nope they flipping never come back for a month I get really tired of tripping over other people's stuff and not have enough room for my own.lol