High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Why are chainsaws so addictive?

HuskyFan1977

Dave's High Performance Saw Shop
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
And why hasn't the government warned us about the potential for addiction? Should there be labels warning us?

J/K of course!

My name is Dave, and I have an addiction. Yes, I'm a chainsaw addict... I just keep wanting more saws, and more saws. My better half thinks I have enough. But the 2 cycle voice (nunununununun) just keeps making me want MORE!
Anyone else feel my pain?

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
10:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too sad.. I'm the same. Addicted to 2 stroke sound.. Even the exhaust:facepalm:
Chainsaws sounds the meanest in 2 stoke hand held equipment I guess. I dont have big wood to cut and I even have a 3120, just for it's sound. I own 288 as well.

HuskyFan1977

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Too sad.. I'm the same. Addicted to 2 stroke sound.. Even the exhaust:facepalm:
Chainsaws sounds the meanest in 2 stoke hand held equipment I guess. I dont have big wood to cut and I even have a 3120, just for it's sound. I own 288 as well.
I know what you mean about the exhaust smell. I am guilty of that as well, worse part is I run leaded gas 115+ octane (100LL Avgas) and it smells just like race fuel when burned. Smells sweet almost... Im a sick sick man. And I can't stop buying saws or saw paraphernalia... Just last night I dreamed about finding a brand new 346NEXP when I woke up the saw wasnt in bed with me but instead my dog was, and he had just ripped a stank one. Spoiled that dream, until the air clears and I find a 346 anyway.

Last edited:

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because it's fun, potentially productive, doesn't take up as much time or space as some other hobbies and is cheaper than other hobbies. The worst among us likely doesn't have more than a classic car or two in this.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you like restoration of anything it's certainly less expensive to restore a chainsaw as opposed to a 1954 Indian Chief motorcycle .Of course you can't take a Sunday ride on a chainsaw but again you can't cut wood with a vintage motorcycle. It's all in the perspective .

Stem

Professional Cup Stacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm up to 10 saws at the moment, I enjoy modifying/running/tuning saws as much as I do working on/fixing them (for myself and on the side) & sharpening chains. I don't burn firewood but my parents, aunt & uncle and some friends do so supplying them with it or helping them cut wood is just another reason to run my saws. I don't consider it work, it's all play to me and is almost therapeutic.

HuskyFan1977

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All true and great points guys. I'm starting to accept my addiction! I'm glad I'm not alone. Now if you guys can convince my ol' lady... Mission IMPOSSIBLE lol Well not totally impossible since I got us off from Natural Gas (not mine the stuff from the utility company) she has noticed its much cheaper to heat the house in the winter. I'll just keep reminding her of that when I need more saws and stuff... You guys sure can rationalize stuff like this, some great minds here, this forum is top notch as are the members. Thank you Randy and all the staff for making this forum the best I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of.

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And why hasn't the government warned us about the potential for addiction? Should there be labels warning us?

J/K of course!

My name is Dave, and I have an addiction. Yes, I'm a chainsaw addict... I just keep wanting more saws, and more saws. My better half thinks I have enough. But the 2 cycle voice (nunununununun) just keeps making me want MORE!
Nope I've sold all but three of my Saw's three is a good number for me just because I'm always working on other people's saw so don't care to have a stalk pile of saw of my own now.lol

HuskyFan1977

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm up to 10 saws at the moment, I enjoy modifying/running/tuning saws as much as I do working on/fixing them (for myself and on the side) & sharpening chains. I don't burn firewood but my parents, aunt & uncle and some friends do so supplying them with it or helping them cut wood is just another reason to run my saws. I don't consider it work, it's all play to me and is almost therapeutic.

I buy and sell them so often I have a hard time keeping count, but then again I cant often remember how old I am without breaking out all my fingers and toes and my Pomeranian's as well... And even then I need more fingers and toes... Maybe I should run for president! lol

HuskyFan1977

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nope I've sold all but three of my Saw's three is a good number for me just because I'm always working on other people's saw so don't care to have a stalk pile of saw of my own now.lol

I'm in the same boat as you as far as working on them and such. If I could just let them go... Must have, the precious!

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

J/K of course!

Surgeons general warning labels maybe?

i hear you. Something about having a small little race engine in my hands that is fed by gasoline and wood is pretty damn awesome.
Nothing better than a good ol screaming chip monster!

HuskyFan1977

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you like restoration of anything it's certainly less expensive to restore a chainsaw as opposed to a 1954 Indian Chief motorcycle .Of course you can't take a Sunday ride on a chainsaw but again you can't cut wood with a vintage motorcycle. It's all in the perspective .

You know I was gonna try to take a tree down with my 41 Chief once but then i sobered up hehe.

HuskyFan1977

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Surgeons general warning labels maybe?

i hear you. Something about having a small little race engine in my hands that is fed by gasoline and wood is pretty damn awesome.
Nothing better than a good ol screaming chip monster!

Yes! More government stickers to peel off and stick on the toilet seat cover!

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All true and great points guys. I'm starting to accept my addiction! I'm glad I'm not alone. Now if you guys can convince my ol' lady... Mission IMPOSSIBLE lol Well not totally impossible since I got us off from Natural Gas (not mine the stuff from the utility company) she has noticed its much cheaper to heat the house in the winter. I'll just keep reminding her of that when I need more saws and stuff... You guys sure can rationalize stuff like this, some great minds here, this forum is top notch as are the members. Thank you Randy and all the staff for making this forum the best I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of.
She will get used to your chainsaw addition when you have more chainsaws than she could complain about...:rolleyes:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been addicted to small engines (and guns, tools, farm equipment, trucks, etc.) since I was a little kid. I got hooked bad by helping dad cut firewood with his Homie Super XL and Super 2 in the early 1980's. This was also when gas weedeaters were getting really popular and I just thought that was the awesomest thing ever, especially the bottom engine Homelites. When my feet could finally reach the pedals I started mowing the grass with our Murray 11hp/36. I was hooked pretty bad, and would gaze at OPE in catalogs while eating supper. When we went to the store I didn't want to go to toys, I wanted to go to lawn and garden equipment. I would doodle chainsaws, weedeaters, and lawn mowers on my school assignments. Yeah, I was a weird kid and am now weirder still!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another factor for addiction to chainsaws is the one-on-one relationship between the operator and the saw. They literally become part of you as you use them. It's as if they are talking to you as they perform their work and as you control their power. Somehow the relationship with a lawnmower, leaf blower, or other small equipment does not seem to be the same. Just MHO.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another factor for addiction to chainsaws is the one-on-one relationship between the operator and the saw. They literally become part of you as you use them. It's as if they are talking to you as they perform their work and as you control their power. Somehow the relationship with a lawnmower, leaf blower, or other small equipment does not seem to be the same. Just MHO.

interesting Psychological observation, makes sense. Never thought of it that way before.